Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over this weekend...my friend and I try a few setup for intake...
1. stock intake
2. underhood intake
3. costomer pipe with intake
4. just remove the resonator

I find that 2-3 is a complete waste of money.
The car response slower and it lost some power..The stock intake is actually very good...better than underhood intake...
The last thing I did is just to remove the resonator box, only use stock filter box..I notice faster response than stock and it make the same sort of sound of the underhood intake..but it doesn't make that sucking noise..I am going to stick with this for now since I have no money for the CAI

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey..! Are you dissing my massive filter with the stock piping..? It was better than the aluminum intake we tried, but to be honest I don't know how well the stock airbox without the resonator works. I should take your car for yet another drive. How about this Sunday at the races..!?

·
Registered
188 Posts
i can't really use a CAI where i live since it will rain massive amounts and the roads are terrible, and the bypass filter is just silly as far as i'm concerned. i've got an underhood intake, when i put it on it felt better than stock, tons better actually. since then i have cut a whole under the car and ran some piping up next to the filter so that it can get more air. it helped a little bit, but for me its better than having a CAI and a little better than an underhood.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My intake suck big time
So did this girl I went out with last weekend
hahaha....jp!!

------------------
2000 Prelude Type SH
Premium Pearl White

MODS: AEM CAI, DC Header, Greddy PE Exhaust, Vitek Wires, AEM CamGears, AEM TruPwr Pulleys, UR Crank Pulley, Apexi V-AFC, ACT XT Clutch, DC ShortShift Adaptor, ZEX 55 Shot Nitrous

V-Spec Coilovers, DC Fr. Upper Strut Bar, CarbonFiber Hood, OEM Bodykit, 17" Nippon Racing/NittoNT555ZRs, Type S shiftknob........

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
hmmmm i lost power when i removed the resonator. you need constriction to recieve low end power and as for the high end i think it was slower.

------------------

aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
A CAI should be fine unless you submerge the filter in water.

If your worried about that just get a system, like AEM and Iceman, that comes with both street and CAI set ups.

I just leave mine in CAI mode, unless there is a flood watch.

------------------
Warren

93 Prelude VTEC N/A (lots of mods) [email protected]

00 Honda Accord SE (stock)

[This message has been edited by VeeTec (edited April 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been looking at getting an AEM CAI or an under-hood intake such as the DC Sports DAC. Or possibly I could just remove the stock resonator to get more noise. Now I'm confused and don't know what to do! Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
IMO the AEM and the Iceman CAI are the best set ups.

Underhood doesn't make as much power due to the heat and lack of fresh airflow to the filter.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
This was as unscientific as possible. The only real way to do this is via a dyno; "feeling" like you've lost power may simply mean you've eliminated peaks by smoothing out your response. Most factory intakes are designed to do that at the cost of high end.

I've seen dyno runs that prove that short rams are better than stock sytems, at least on the 4th/5th gens (gen wasn't mentioned here). I've also flow tested different pipes at WOT and can tell you there is a difference between brands, or at least design types.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts