Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The city I live in has absolutely atrocious roads. I scrape even in stock suspension. I need new shocks since mine are blown. I would like to lower my car, but I would be saying goodbye to my bumper. I'm not sure where to get OEM shocks and springs, so I was wondering what aftermarket ones are comfortable to ride on. This car is my only daily driver. The reason my budget is so low is not because I can't afford good quality. I can't seem to persuade my dad that decent coils cost a lot. He's a mechanic and wants me to get the cheapest option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 98’ and have had it since 2006 and put 300,000 miles on it. If you’re going to keep the car (I’ll NEVER get rid of mine) good shocks/springs and tires are worth the investment. They will last longer and could save your life vs cheap OEM replacements.

That being said there are a million good options out there but my two favorite setups that I’ve ran are TEIN S coilovers w/ shocks and KONI Yellows with Ground Control coil overs. Both setups have close to stock ride height options but are adjustable. You can adjust stiffness and ride height.

If you can’t buy anything good new or are going to get rid of the car soon, nothing will really feel as good or last as long as OEM for 500-1000$ (Let alone 400$ or less) unless you get a set of used OEM shocks and springs from someone reliable that hasn’t put too many miles on them and they are upgrading or something.

I’ve lived in and driven my Lude in Virginia, Texas, California, and Hawaii (Oahu). In California and Hawaii, the roads are really bad - I don’t know what they spend tax money on, but it’s not road maintenance! That being said my extra recommendation if you live in a state with bad roads is to make sure you don’t get rims any bigger than 16’s (OEM) or 17’s and with tires smaller than 205/45 215/40 or you will be very likely to bend them if you’re in a part of town where it’s hard to dodge potholes or you don’t have the road problems ‘memorized’.
The Lude is heavy and if your tires sidewalls are too short they’ll get jacked up pretty easily over 50 mph.

Last thought is to shop on Rockauto.com for some of the cheapest non-fancy parts for any car really. OEM parts can be had on websites like Hondapartswarehouse. At least you can go there to figure out part numbers and if certain parts are even available from the manufacturer anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another random thought is that actual Honda parts would be way more expensive than decent daily driver/enthusiast suspension parts since the car is pushing 25 years old.

So if your dad is a mechanic he would be the kind of person I would ask to figure out where good cheap parts are available than say from a ‘stealership’ lol.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Rock Auto should have OEM replacement which should be fine.
Otherwise you can try and order off of hondapartsnow.com.
But if you are going to go for coil overs, not just OEM replacement, then you want to be north of the $400 mark.
For your budget I would go OEM replacement or OEM equivalent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 98’ and have had it since 2006 and put 300,000 miles on it. If you’re going to keep the car (I’ll NEVER get rid of mine) good shocks/springs and tires are worth the investment. They will last longer and could save your life vs cheap OEM replacements.

That being said there are a million good options out there but my two favorite setups that I’ve ran are TEIN S coilovers w/ shocks and KONI Yellows with Ground Control coil overs. Both setups have close to stock ride height options but are adjustable. You can adjust stiffness and ride height.

If you can’t buy anything good new or are going to get rid of the car soon, nothing will really feel as good or last as long as OEM for 500-1000$ (Let alone 400$ or less) unless you get a set of used OEM shocks and springs from someone reliable that hasn’t put too many miles on them and they are upgrading or something.

I’ve lived in and driven my Lude in Virginia, Texas, California, and Hawaii (Oahu). In California and Hawaii, the roads are really bad - I don’t know what they spend tax money on, but it’s not road maintenance! That being said my extra recommendation if you live in a state with bad roads is to make sure you don’t get rims any bigger than 16’s (OEM) or 17’s and with tires smaller than 205/45 215/40 or you will be very likely to bend them if you’re in a part of town where it’s hard to dodge potholes or you don’t have the road problems ‘memorized’.
The Lude is heavy and if your tires sidewalls are too short they’ll get jacked up pretty easily over 50 mph.

Last thought is to shop on Rockauto.com for some of the cheapest non-fancy parts for any car really. OEM parts can be had on websites like Hondapartswarehouse. At least you can go there to figure out part numbers and if certain parts are even available from the manufacturer anymore.
Yeah, my dad is wanting me to buy eBay coil overs and I have told him no repeatedly. I think I will get some from Rock Auto. The only issue is they do not have the springs I need. Will it be okay to use my original springs and top hat? I am looking at either KYB or Monroe struts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should be assuming that they are in good shape and no issues. OEM ones tend to last a long time.
Alright, my dad just didn't want to deal with compressing springs and stuff. I could replace the struts in rear or the full car, not sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts