Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few times i started my 98 I've heard a slight rattle. It might be my imagination, but today I think i can hear it when I lightly touch the throttle so I'm thinking I may have been bitten by the Tensioner bug! Is this consistent with when any of you guys first noticed it?

It may also be my valve clearance - but it seems to have come on too suddenly. They do need to be adjusted - I just turned 36k.

Any thoughts or input before I head over to the dealer for a look-see?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also - if it is the tensioner, can i drive on it for awhile? I have a meeting tomorrow in Tucson so I'm gonna go a couple of hundred miles before I can get it into the shop...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depends on your dealer. You'll get everything from a 'covered under warranty' to 'that's just a typical sound of the H22a engine'. That's exactly what my dealer in San Diego said. Even after 3 visits and telling him that this was not an exclusive problem. PACIFIC HONDA in San Diego sucks.

As for the sound, it'll start off as a little rattle. Then it'll be extremely noticible (even at idle). I'm getting my belt, water pump, and tensioner done next week cuz the rattle is driving me up the wall.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bud1:

I'm getting my belt, water pump, and tensioner done next week cuz the rattle is driving me up the wall.
</font>
how many miles do you have on your car?

------------------
Resist, and you'll be overcome

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think that problem should be a recall, it's happened numerous times to other people already.

------------------
98 Lude Type SH
White Diamond Pearl
Dark Tint all around
Mud guards
Clear conrners all around with hyper white bulbs all around inside the clear corners :p
Eibach pro-kit
Greddy Power Extreme Exhaust
DC Sports Short Ram Intake
Honda Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
Razo Carbon Fiber Pedals
Broadway Mirror :p
Can AirFreshener :p
Fields SFC Hyper R (not installed ~ for sale)

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iLUVmySH:
I think that problem should be a recall, it's happened numerous times to other people already.

</font>
I only think a recall is done when the defect contributes to driving safety, i.e. something that they can be sued for...otherwise i think they try to keep the other defects as private as they can only dealing with them as they appear. The auto tensioner problem does seem to be widespread and the only thing we can do as prelude owners is to keep our ears open about these problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts