Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloody Hell.
Where do I begin? The dyno figures from the last test have come out at about 147Ibs/ft torque and around 206hp at the flywheel.
This after the following mods;

1)Tanabe header& type G exhaust
2)Unorthodox Pulleys
3)AEM CAI
4)AEM cam gears
5)Apexi-V-afc

Again, 206hp at the flywheel when it should be 220 STANDARD.

The funny thing is, it doesn't drive, feel like there are any problems...But according to the 2 dyno plots I've had done, there must be. But what? What could lead to such a large power loss? I'll tell you gentlemen, I feel gutted, pissed off, confused and almost feel like selling the car.

Can I please ask you gentlemen to help me on this? Give me some advice on how I find whatever the problem is, what it is maybe?
I am planning on running some diagnostics in the next week or so and hopefully something will show up.
However I'm really at my wits end (English expression for "don't know who to turn too or what to do") and would really appreciate some ideas...
Thanks.

[This message has been edited by andrewdelvard (edited April 10, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
If it were me, I would disconnect my vafc from my ecu and go from there. My friends ECU got messed up (we think from his vafc) and it became reprogrammed somehow causing his top end to bog.

You can check your plugs, distributor. I wouldn't really know what to do in your situation except go crazy.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Hmm...

do you have those dyno plots on hand? Maybe it's a cam timing issue?

It could also be ECU/fuel map problems (perhaps the V-AFC?)...

Or it could be just that Preludes really are overrated for hp?

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I can't post the Dyno sheets I work away from home and left them at work where I've been looking at them till I've almost burnt holes in the paper.
Whatever it is it isn't the V-afc or the cam gears. I have the dyno plots for those and they haven't caused a problem, I actually GAINED about 4 hp and 4Ibs torque.
I've been speculating on either ECU problems or maybe the piston rings?
Again, it doesn't FEEL any slower it's just what the 2 Dynos are telling me.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Compression check - if its your pistons then you will know.

If you don't know how to do a compression check then take it to a reputable shop.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
Compression check - if its your pistons then you will know.

If you don't know how to do a compression check then take it to a reputable shop.
</font>
great advice

if you dont know how, there's directions on the c-speed racing homepage, or take it to a shop like vabeach-lude suggested

------------------

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks vabeach_lude,spite,ahcjar103 all your ideas are a big help.

Hey Vabeach, I was actually talking to Guiddy yesterday about the ECU problems you had a while back, and speculated if that could be the problem,mmm who knows.
Anyway it's 00:33am here in the UK and I've just got back from London and need some Zzz's
but keep the ideas coming gentlemen, I'd really appreciate it.
Goodnight.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
did you dyno the car when it was stock? if it's really 220 at the crank, it ought to be around 180 at the wheels. what is your peak whp?

obviously it's a lot of trouble, but it seems pretty likely that if you took all the mods off you'd be back to 180whp. have you done any 1/4 mile runs before and after? the type s ought to be in the high 14s stock, but i remember you were having traction problems at the track.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andrewdelvard:
Bloody Hell.
Where do I begin? The dyno figures from the last test have come out at about 147Ibs/ft torque and around 206hp at the flywheel.
This after the following mods;

1)Tanabe header& type G exhaust
2)Unorthodox Pulleys
3)AEM CAI
4)AEM cam gears
5)Apexi-V-afc

Again, 206hp at the flywheel when it should be 220 STANDARD.

The funny thing is, it doesn't drive, feel like there are any problems...But according to the 2 dyno plots I've had done, there must be. But what? What could lead to such a large power loss? I'll tell you gentlemen, I feel gutted, pissed off, confused and almost feel like selling the car.

Can I please ask you gentlemen to help me on this? Give me some advice on how I find whatever the problem is, what it is maybe?
I am planning on running some diagnostics in the next week or so and hopefully something will show up.
However I'm really at my wits end (English expression for "don't know who to turn too or what to do") and would really appreciate some ideas...
Thanks.

[This message has been edited by andrewdelvard (edited April 10, 2001).]
</font>

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andrewdelvard:
Hey Vabeach, I was actually talking to Guiddy yesterday about the ECU problems you had a while back, and speculated if that could be the problem</font>

Actually my friend was having that problem with his ECU. His nickname on this board is "VA Ludin". He replaced his ecu and his car is running better I believe, although I haven't driven it yet. He has a vafc hooked up too. We both thought that the VAFC may have caused the problem, thats why I suggested you to remove it for a while.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Awww man!!!

Sorry to hear that Andrew! The other guys have good ideas - check your compression in all 4 cylinders, and see if it is ok. If it is, then try disconnecting your V-AFC, setting your cam gears back to 0,0, and reset your ECU. Then, go dyno it and see what it makes. If it makes less, then maybe the dyno you're using just runs low numbers.
Also, the mods you have shouldn't really get you that much more power than stock. The type-s parts are all tuned to work well with each other. Have you checked your ignition system - you may have a bad plug, wire, cap or rotor.

LLL

[This message has been edited by LudesLudesLudes (edited April 10, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys,Looks like a compression check is the first thing I'll do. I'll see if I can get it done today.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK its booked in for tomorrow.
By the way could it be something to do with the auto tensioner?
I've just looked at this thread:
http://honda-acura.net/forum/Forum20/HTML/009562.html

and I've been having the same problem! only when I start the car/drive away but especially in wet weather. What do you think?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Andrew -

What time is it over there in England? Just wondering how many hours you are ahead over there. We should meet up when I go to England this summer. I'll be there the last week of July and the first couple weeks of august. If you ever come over to this side of the pond look me up too. =)

LLL

·
Registered
810 Posts
Andrew -

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask exactly where in England you live - are you near london? I'm going to be in London and Grasmere when I go over there. Also, what should I go check out, besides your awesome car?
Also, how much hp to the wheels did you put down when you got your car dynoed?

LLL

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We will for sure meet up mate, don't worry about that.The UK is much smaller than the US so it won't be a problem! I expect Guiddy will want to meet you as well. I live in Northampton which is bang in the middle of England (as opposed to the UK) but work in Soho, London (I manage a Sex shop!
)Unfortunately I don't drive to work but when we do meet up we'll find a nice quite section of road and you can take it for a spin so don't forget your international driving licence!
I know I've asked this before but may have missed the reply...when exactly are you coming over?

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
You're sure they measured 206 at the flywheel? That wasn't at the wheels huh? You sure?

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

1 - 20 of 27 Posts