Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got recived my type-s pistons and was wondering how hard of an install it will be if anyone here has installed them. will i have to pull the engine to install them or can i don it with it still in the car. are there any problems with installing these that i should know about before i attempt it is there anything i should replace while i am doing this. any help would be greatly appricated.

------------------
for sale:18" giovviona kuji rims w/toyo t1-s 215-35-18

G

·
You will have to pull the head and drop the oil pan. Use new rings when doing it. Also, inspect the rod bearings. If they look bad, replace them. If not, just clean them off with a scotch brite pad or something similar.

Just give yourself plenty of time. At least two days. Pulling the head takes the longest.

Also, work cleanly. Last thing you need is a bunch of crap getting down in the coolant passages or oil galleys.

This is what I would replace, but some might not agree with me:

head gasket
head bolts
valve cover gasket
rod bolts
rod bearings (if needed)
piston rings
oil pan gasket
timing belt
auto tensioner

That's probably a good $300 to $400 worth of stuff there, but that's the price you pay to do it right. You will also need a good torque wrench, ring compressor, and basic mechanic's tools.

Take it easy on the rings for a while (at least a few thousand miles) so that they can seat against the bores. Usually, Honda rings are gapped within spec from the factory (or so I have been told), but it's always a good idea to check. Ideally you should check piston to wall clearance, but the equipment to do that is quite expensive.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Hey Billy, any idea on what good rod bolts are out there? A couple of threads appeared recently saying the ones in the H22 aren't that hot. =P

BTW, how would I tell whether the rod bearings are getting a lot of wear?

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

G

·
If you want to use aftermarket rod bolts, you will have to get the stock rods resized to fit them. There aren't any off the shelf rod bolts that work with the H22 rods without any modifications.

You really should check the clearances on the rod bearings to make sure that they are in spec. The manual shows you how to use plastigauge to do this. I haven't ever used plastigauge, but it's supposed to be quite accurate. Another way to tell would be any scoring, damage, etc.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Thanks! Just asking in case I ever find myself doing block work!

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts