Honda Prelude Online banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
LudeSpeed2000 said:
Ok....sorry I was on vacation. I plan to use no cat and no exhaust on the street. As it is just a weekend play-toy I see no need for it.
I have an Apexi N1 right now, but I will be selling it soon.


Wow a 13.6 on crappy street tires for a JRSC prelude, that sounds great!:finger:
No exhaust huh? Well whatever floats your boat I guess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
LudeSpeed2000 said:
Ok....sorry I was on vacation. I plan to use no cat and no exhaust on the street. As it is just a weekend play-toy I see no need for it.
I have an Apexi N1 right now, but I will be selling it soon.


Wow a 13.6 on crappy street tires for a JRSC prelude, that sounds great!:finger:
Uh, really? The law has no problem with you running open exhaust on the street? Interesting...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hambones said:


Uh, really? The law has no problem with you running open exhaust on the street? Interesting...
Well since the car will only be used on Friday and Saturday nights, I don't think that it will be too much hassle.

Plus they will have to catch me first:p :finger:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
LudeSpeed2000 said:


Well since the car will only be used on Friday and Saturday nights, I don't think that it will be too much hassle.

Plus they will have to catch me first:p :finger:
All-Righty then :bigthumb: :laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
All I know is that all the turbo ludes running at around 7-8 psi have been running mid 14's at the track. All the SC ludes have been running mid-high 13's. Just face it, Turbos and our cars do not mix. At least that's what I've seen so far. I've also heard that the dynamics of our engine are not well suited for high boost (long stroke). I've actually thought of getting a B18C motor, building it, then running about 15 lbs of boost to get over 300 HP reliably. Most of the people I know that ran Nitrous or Turboed their Preludes blew something up (bent valves mostly). A Turbo would be expensive for our cars done right. Done like the kit says (FMAX or Drag), its gonna be disapointing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Just face it, Turbos and our cars do not mix
isn't the fastest h22 motor turbo charged also??? just a thought:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
gabedude said:
All I know is that all the turbo ludes running at around 7-8 psi have been running mid 14's at the track. All the SC ludes have been running mid-high 13's.
How do you run mid 14's in a turbo Lude boosting 7-8 psi when some guys here are running mid 14's with just I/H/E and V-AFC?

I can assure you that most of the SC ludes are not running "mid 13's"... the fastest SC lude I've seen so far was Luded1's, and he ran 13.6 with MANY other mods besides just JRSC. You'll need to bolt on more than just a JRSC to break 14 seconds.

A properly tuned Turbo motor will put you in the 12's... I doubt a SC Lude will ever see better than 13.x seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Personally, I 've decided that the Prelude is not a good platform for heavy mods/turbo. Other than I/H/E, suspension, and a couple other things, I don't plan on doing much else to my car. I'm still kicking around the idea of a JRSC, but we'll see. I think I'm going to find something else for a project car... like a '96-'98 240SX, rather than try to boost my Lude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
sup. i got a jrsc lude and id say the power is very noticeable. of course a turbo will give more hp but there is the high risk factor in a turbo. my jrsc came with my car so i couldnt say nething about it. my friend has a fmax turbo with drag piping. he has blown his engine twice already. now fully rebuilt he can run 15 psi no problem. but his car makes a funny noise everytime he drives. as for my jrsc so far no problems other than the stupid boost retard knob. if i had a choice id get the turbo for the blow off valve :bigthumb: o ya ive seen talk about tuning their jrsc ludes. i called a local shop impex and see if they can tune jrsc ludes. they said how do u do that since its just a bolt on kit. anyone know how to tune a jrsc lude?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
I'm not sure other than tuning air/fuel for optimum mixture and fuel pressure. Sounds like once you have that optimized, the JRSC provides nice, reliable power. Get it wrong, and... well, just ask Schwett. :(

Talk to the guys here that have installed JRSC on their Ludes... I think they'll agree that there's much more involved in tuning the car than just bolting on the supercharger. When it comes to big HP gains, nothing is easy, but some solutions are certainly better than others for the H22.


Or, better yet, just read all the JRSC related posts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Well, I gained ~100 whp at 7 psi on my h23, and this is closed loop which doesn't hurt hp that much, but still probably has some effect. I would think that 300 whp would be possible from a h22 @ 8-9 psi, especially if the tune is a bit more aggressive since it won't be driven daily, and there is no exhaust.

It seems that a lot of h22's dont respond well to boost, while others seem to do okay. When I initally went to my tuner and he asked me what kind of power I wanted to be making, I told him 250 @ 10 psi. He said "well if you do, that will the highest hp prelude I have ever tuned, those motors just dont respond as well to boost as the b series." He ended up getting 270 whp at 10 psi for me. Ludespeed, good luck and I would say 300whp neighborhood is definitely possible at modest boost levels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
SilverLudeSi said:
Well, I gained ~100 whp at 7 psi on my h23, and this is closed loop which doesn't hurt hp that much, but still probably has some effect. I would think that 300 whp would be possible from a h22 @ 8-9 psi, especially if the tune is a bit more aggressive since it won't be driven daily, and there is no exhaust.

It seems that a lot of h22's dont respond well to boost, while others seem to do okay. When I initally went to my tuner and he asked me what kind of power I wanted to be making, I told him 250 @ 10 psi. He said "well if you do, that will the highest hp prelude I have ever tuned, those motors just dont respond as well to boost as the b series." He ended up getting 270 whp at 10 psi for me. Ludespeed, good luck and I would say 300whp neighborhood is definitely possible at modest boost levels.
dude, I checked out your homepage... nice set-up! Your engine bay looks hella clean... any pics of the car itself? I'd like to see one... my guess is the car looks just as good as the engine bay.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
115 Posts
I have an 01 prelude and plan on going turbo myself, just a question, what exactly does a blockguard do? And come some help me make my steup sturdier and answer some of my q's thanks My plan is:

Suspension/Brake upgrades: can comeone give me some brands for this part - I want rotors, new calipers/pads, shocks, strut bars etc

Either a turbonetics T3/T04B cbb turbo or a T3/T04e which one will be better one street spool up fastest but I dont want it to die before redline shift.... What trim/stage/compr.?

What kind of intercoolor/piping - necessary to polish?)
HKS ss bov
Tial 35mm wastegate (good size?)

Hondata 2b or AEM - I have an SH so one of these is necessary to get rid of ATTS right? and I need to do an OBD1 conv right?

JE Pistons 9.0:1 - is that a good compression
Crower Rods / Crower valve springs and tit. retainers.
Resleeve with Golden Eagle sleeves
Bosch Fuel Pump (is this good? what size? I dont want to have to replace it in the long run Id rather spend the money right away so give me one that I wont have to upgrade)

Lucas 720cc inj. (good? again I want to spend the money upfront not have to uprade done the road)
MSD ignition (necessary???)
J&S safeguard (necessary)
Crower T cams
Cam gears - what brand?????
Thermal 3� Downpipe
Apexi N1 exhaust (good for turbo? if not what?
Clutch Master stg 4
JRSC oil cooler
AEM fuel rail and FPR
what plugs and wires???
what kind of pulleys???
and last but not least what do I do about cooiling fans

With this setup what kind of $$ am I looking at in just parts? What kind of WHP am I looking at? and what kind of 1/4 times with slicks?
When I ask if something is neccesary I want this car to be so damn reliable so if comething needs to be added then add it, I want best brands and all too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Showlude... you're gonna lose ATTS and you can't get an LSD. It's not worth it... I'd find another car to build. 250hp on an SH is great, with ATTS, but 300+whp on a Lude without an LSD is rediculous. You'll be driving a one-wheel-drive car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Eh, well, I supposed you can... but wouldn't you have to get rid of the ATTS unit? Then buy base axles... yeah, maybe a base tranny... a lot of work and $$.

But, if you're prepared to do this then that's cool. I'd just hate to see you waste the premium you paid for the SH, only to convert it to a base... that's all.

Good luck anyway dude, sounds like it will be one killa Lude when you're done. :bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok I was the one that started this topic. I was all about turbo this and turbo that. Now after watching my car suck all the money ever made on a turbo setup all I have to say is go supercharged. I am a man and will admit my mistakes. I have learned my lesson now, even though my prelude will have a lot more power, it's not a great daily driver. I am glad it's retaining it's A/C and power steering, but the cruise control is gone and it sucks down gas like a big block.
I will have another prelude in my possesion at the end of this year and that one will be supercharged!!!!!!!!!:bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
LudeSpeed2000 said:
Ok I was the one that started this topic. I was all about turbo this and turbo that. Now after watching my car suck all the money ever made on a turbo setup all I have to say is go supercharged. I am a man and will admit my mistakes. I have learned my lesson now, even though my prelude will have a lot more power, it's not a great daily driver. I am glad it's retaining it's A/C and power steering, but the cruise control is gone and it sucks down gas like a big block.
I will have another prelude in my possesion at the end of this year and that one will be supercharged!!!!!!!!!:bigthumb:
You are honestly the first person I have ever heard that wanted to go from turbo to supercharger. What went wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
silverlude

did you fix your downpipe? are you going open loop this time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Al lot has happened since then. First a friend of mine hydrolocked the motor, although I would have liked to run on the stock motor for a while I had to rebuild.
So I went through the bottom end, my friend graciously paid for all labor and I provided the parts. Really a good deal because I had the money for the parts and the labor ended up being more than the parts anyway.
So now I have a fully built bottom end, my head is still stock, then properly. Tsome valves dropped when the boost controller failed to operate. The boost controller was off my 98 GST eclipse, it was a Blitz DSBC. Well the I start hitting 30lbs on pump gas, the motor holds for a while then on a 32 then 38 lb excursion it decides to blow a head gasket. All's well to be expected, boost controller is now changed to a GReddy Profec B, still blowing head gaskets. Replaced the valves in the head and get a mild 3 angle valve job. After pulling the head off though low and behold the culprit for the 2nd blown head gasket is found dropped and twisted sleeve. So that's where I stand right now, the block is being looked at over at the engine builders, they are flipping for the tab. But still I have no car, except for those few fleeting moments at 30lbs on pump gas on westheimer.

Yes I am pleased with my car, however I am not pleased with the timeframe it took to build it. Yes I am amazed at the performance, however I am not pleased with all the money I poured into it.
Now the fact of the matter is in my honest opinion, if I supercharged it instead I would have had less money into the car and more enjoyment out of it. Plus the downtime and tuning would have been minimal because of the local support available.
 
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Top