Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im Installing a T3/T4 turbo in my 93 honda prelude,

UNFORTUNATELY!!!!!, I had TO remove the front mount in order to fit the turbo in. now its a h22a motor and the shop said, "well when you put in turbo its a lot of custom work and cutting," your gonna have to get rid of the front mount
he said its not doing anything anyway really because I have a rear mount and 2 side mounts. i just wanna make sure hes right.

is it ok if I remove my front motor mount from my jdm h22a 93 honda prelude in order to fit my turbo in?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im Installing a T3/T4 turbo in my 93 honda prelude,

UNFORTUNATELY!!!!!, I had TO remove the front mount in order to fit the turbo in. now its a h22a motor and the shop said, "well when you put in turbo its a lot of custom work and cutting," your gonna have to get rid of the front mount
he said its not doing anything anyway really because I have a rear mount and 2 side mounts. i just wanna make sure hes right.

is it ok if I remove my front motor mount from my jdm h22a 93 honda prelude in order to fit my turbo in?
I've never had the pleasure of installing a turbo, but if I was told that, I would consider the guy crazy.

A motor mount is there for a reason, to hold your engine in place. Your engine torques quite a bit already, and if you're missing a mount, now there's more torque on the rest of your mounts. I would custom it so that it would fit without sacrificing that mount.

If you get rid of a mount you also lose that torque going to your wheels since there isn't that extra piece to try to hold your engine in place.

Sorry if that wasn't what you were looking for, I tried :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm new here but I know that you really don't want to remove the front mount. you will have more torque steer and more wheel hop and you will problably destroy your axles. You should be able to get a torque damper or even a traction bar with a torque damper on it to open up space. The traction bar would be better because that will be significantly smaller than the cross member and it will reduce wheel-hop and torque steer. The traction bar wheel also help you get more power to the ground and get you out of the hole faster. I have 5th gen and the traction bar came from explicitspeedperformance.com. They have a lot of pics so you should check it out and see if it will work for you. If you do remove the front mount I would recommend that you replace all the rubber inserts with polyurethane inserts.

I am assuming that you need to remove front mount because you are wanting to use a tubular turbo manifold as opposed to a log manifold (which is a much better idea). So the turbo itself will sit where the motor mount is. There are a couple of companies that can either make you a mani or already have one that will work and keep the motor mount. Like I said I have a 5th gen so it may be different on yours. But the websites are lovefab.com, peakboost.com, and spoolinperformance.com. Spoolin was the best price. He will also custom make you one. Lovefab and peakboost you would have to remove the ac on the 5th gen I'm not sure on yours. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You either have to notch the front motor mount like Rayslude said or you can get a traction bar from explicit speed performance like Qevon has.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts