Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 lude with 118k miles. It's an automatic. So What would you recommend? Some people say that turbos will **** up after like 60-80k miles. And that i should just get a supercharger. Others say that turbos are the way to go. Just wanting opinions.

·
Lurkist
4,861 Posts
Tornado. Without a doubt.

Okay seriously now...

The lifespan of a turbo or supercharger has nothing to do w/ what it is, if that makes any sense. You've probably heard the phrase 'it's all in the tune'.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Also, are you familiar with the facts of why turbocharging or supercharging an automatic import (and especially the prelude) is generally not going to get you the results and the reliability you will want? We should probably hear more of what you want to do and then we can all chip in our experiences on the correct choice for you. But I think you'll find a pretty much universal answer among those in the know that say you need to upgrade to a 5 speed manual transmission swap before you go about doing forced induction.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also, are you familiar with the facts of why turbocharging or supercharging an automatic import (and especially the prelude) is generally not going to get you the results and the reliability you will want? We should probably hear more of what you want to do and then we can all chip in our experiences on the correct choice for you. But I think you'll find a pretty much universal answer among those in the know that say you need to upgrade to a 5 speed manual transmission swap before you go about doing forced induction.
5 speed FTW! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a 98 lude with 118k miles. It's an automatic. So What would you recommend? Some people say that turbos will **** up after like 60-80k miles. And that i should just get a supercharger. Others say that turbos are the way to go. Just wanting opinions.
im going to be blunt: you need to study and search and not listen to your retarded friends. everything depends on what do you want out of your car. personaly, I think its silly to build up a car on a auto tranny, especially a 5th gens auto tranny; that transmission will eventually give up on you given the degree of the build.
Tornado. Without a doubt.

Okay seriously now...

The lifespan of a turbo or supercharger has nothing to do w/ what it is, if that makes any sense. You've probably heard the phrase 'it's all in the tune'.
and its also "all in the build"

Boost it all the way! Then when your engine blows, sell me your turbo parts so I can profit from your loss. Me funny.
you do realize that supercharging is also boosting?

·
Registered
609 Posts
A search would get you all the information that you want about wether to go SC or turbo on your 5th gen Auto Prelude... but I dont feel like working right now so I will give you the quick version.

I had an Auto and was SC for 4 years... no problems with the trans. I only swapped out to be able to run more boost and E85. for me it was a tuning issue.

Everyone is telling you to get rid of the SS tranny because in your setup it would be the weak link. not only when it comes to power and breaking it but also when it comes to tuning.

Pros of SC with Auto Prelude

-better low end torque than a turbo
-kit comes with everything you need to install right then
-harder to increase boost (stock is 6psi)
-faster than a turbo Auto Prelude running the same boost

Cons of SC with Auto Prelude

-tuning. can only be done with a "piggyback" system
-harder to increase boost
-no intercooler/aftercooler available

Pros of Turbo with Auto Prelude
-easily increase boost levels
-power comes on more gradual (will save some wear on your SS trans)
-intercooler/aftercooler options available
-power to be made in the long 4th gear

Cons of Turbo with Auto Prelude
-easily increase boost levels
-Turbo lag with the Auto tranny
-tuning. can only be done with a "piggy back" system

So if your just looking to increase your driving enjoyment for the street, and maybe an occasional pass or two on the strip you could probably get away with leaving your SS trans in and getting a SC. (this will depend on how you treat your trans)

If you want to make lots of power, well you need to swap out the trans and then go with a Turbo.

Trying to make alot of HP with a SC is hard and very expensive!!!

·
herbivore
1,579 Posts
Save your money if you like your car. You'll probably need to replace your transmission in the future (especially with your miles) and you'll be better off having money ready for a 5spd swap when you need to do it. Hell, do it now if you don't want to wait for it to blow on you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts