Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hotter days have had my setup running fairly poor and me backing off my timing way too much to fend off detonation. Today I popped in a set of NGK R5672A-8 ($1.89 a piece, I figured why not). Two steps colder than stock (one step colder than what I was running), non-resistor copper plug. I took it for a spin and so far have noticed an improvement in low rpm throttle response, and I have been able to get my timing retard down on the J&S a bit so far with no detonation. I'll try more tomorrow, the air is cooling now (would rather do this in hot air) and the traffic is too thick. I don't think I would recommend an 8 heat range for JRSCs with 6 psi, but for 9 psi it seems to be the way to go. I'll update this thread as I learn more.

·
Registered
123 Posts
speaking of spark plugs....

I replaced my spark plugs for the one step colder (the one shark had previously) gapped at 0.035 and heard a predetonation noise (boggling and tinging noise from the manifold assuming predetonation sound) while the car was idling. So I quickly changed the gapping to 0.040 and the noise disappeared. No problem, so far so good. But several days later, when I started the engine, I heard something that is similar to tinging noise for a brief second but went away. This has been happening off and on, but I do not hear this while driving. Do you think something is still wrong with the gapping?

sorry this was long, thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts