Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new at this board and was wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a 97 lude with SS.. when i drive it automatically, it hestiates to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. i brought it to the honda dealer and they said it's the solinoids... does anyone know what's causing this problem or anyone have the same problem?
any suggestions or ideas would be great!

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Never heard of that problem. I suppose it's out of warranty, right? There have been known problems with the SS tranny, at least in terms of reliability/longetivity when racing. I haven't heard of any problems under normal street driving.

The biggest thing I'd check/do is a fluid change. I wouldn't necessarily trust the dealer to have checked or done it. You might check the level yourself (per the manual) and even consider having the fluid changed. Use the recommended fluid (I'm betting it's Honda fluid), I wouldn't trust anything else.

·
Registered
214 Posts
preludeprincess,

I totally agree with marcucci on this one. GET THAT FLUID CHANGED. I owned a sportshift before I traded for my 5-sp. and THE biggest maintenance thing I did was get the tranny fluid changed every 15,000 miles, sometimes 10,000. It was one of the few things I could actually feel a difference after having it done.

Honda recommends changing it like every 45K or something which is totally ridiculous, no wonder those units have a problematic history. And yes, use the Honda fliud, don't change to Redline or anything like that. While the sportshift did have reported problems for a while, it seems that every person who drove normally and changed the fliud regularly did just fine. I would recommend buying the Honda tranny fluid at your dealership, the amount of fluid needed is in your owner's manual, and then take the car and fliud to a reputable transmission place, they're usually cheaper than the dealer and do a better job, IMHO.

------------------
2000 5-speed Prelude
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Momo Alumsport shift knob
Iceman Competition Intake
Mugen cat-back exhaust
Mugen headers
AEM underdrive pulleys

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
You're very welcome. I'd also hit up the dealer, any kind of failure like this is bad news. With as much problem as honda has had with the SS tranny (the dealer should be familiar with bearing failures and tranny rebuilds/replacements) they may do the work under warranty. Based on history you should have a very good case to argue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts