Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
whats the difference between anti sway bars and strut tower braces? tie bars? Are they the same? and where do they go?

At some online store it said this..Front and rear anti sway bars will reduce body roll keeping you out of the wall at high speed turns. Anti-Sway bars are most effective when used with front and rear Strut Braces

so im assuming these 4 bars work together? but arent there only 2 locations to put them in.. in the engine and under the trunk?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Strut tower braces tie the top of the suspension mounting points on the chassis together. They are used to reduce flex, geometry changes, etc, when loading the chassis (i.e. cornering). They also actually make braces for the lower portion too, but these are NOT sway bars.

Sway bars attach the moving unsprung portions of the suspension together. They are actually another spring in your suspension system. When you corner the opposite sides of the suspension moving in opposite directions. When you have a sway bar tying the two sides together it essentially twists the bar, and the bar resists that twisting motion and it flattens your car (less roll).

Really, all of the parts of the car work together. What the online store has to say is just marketing. The whole suspension is more effective when you have strut braces.

If you're looking to upgrade the handling, I suggest getting the braces first, then you can decide how the the springs and dampers need to be tuned.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
What lightlude said is correct about the different types of bars and how they work. However, most people here will agree that strut tower bars don't do much for the 5th gen (if that's they car you're looking for). The Neuspeed and Spoon front strut tower bars do work, but they don't do too much. They basically make the initial turn-in into a corner a little sharper. However, that's as far as they will go. I have the Tanabe Rear strut bar, and that didn't seem to do too much.

However, what most people here, and myself too, have noticed, is that the rear SWAY bar, does a lot. It basically reduces understeer, and this balances your car in the turns.

Oh yeah, your car already has front and rear sway bars, stock, but they are thinner in diameter, and lighter, and hence offer less support.

It's suggested that if you want looks, get a strut bar, but if you want real performance, get a rear sway. You can also ask the autocross forum here, and they'll probably tell you the same thing: Get the rear sway bar.

I have the Suspension Techniques rear sway, got it from TurboEvo, a sponsor on this board.

·
Registered
381 Posts
it depends on the car, but all the honda's i've ever see either connect to the lower arm (double wishbone) or the strut (when the car has a macphereson setup).

yeah, i've got a 3g, which is pretty floppy. But for serious handling improvements the chassis should be finished before one starts messing with suspension settings. I stand by that. But if you're just gonna be toolin' around, then just getting the sway bars would probably be better... i think... lucky 5th genners.... think you're all so stiff... :p

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
lightlude said:
it depends on the car, but all the honda's i've ever see either connect to the lower arm (double wishbone) or the strut (when the car has a macphereson setup).

yeah, i've got a 3g, which is pretty floppy. But for serious handling improvements the chassis should be finished before one starts messing with suspension settings. I stand by that. But if you're just gonna be toolin' around, then just getting the sway bars would probably be better... i think... lucky 5th genners.... think you're all so stiff... :p
HAHA, yeah, the 5th gen is pretty stiff to begin with, so the sway helps us more than the strut bars do.
:D

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
rear sway will help you reduce the understeer that FWD cars are plagued with by giving you more tail-happy oversteer ;)

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Yeah, if you have a 3rd gen, a front Strut Tower brace will make quite a noticable difference. It did on mine!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
NoRice4U said:
rear sway will help you reduce the understeer that FWD cars are plagued with by giving you more tail-happy oversteer ;)
that is why i am only going to get the rear swap bar but does the rear lower strut bar make any improvements?

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
^^ the rear lower TIE bar, like the DC one, is mainly for looks...it doesn't really offer any performance value. if you're actually goin for perforamance, then get a rear sway bar (neuspeed or ST) an then you can get a Neuspeed/Spoon front and a Spoon rear strut bar if you're lookin for a little more

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
92 SI Ludester said:

that is why i am only going to get the rear swap bar but does the rear lower strut bar make any improvements?

The tanabe lower TIE bar works but if you are dropped you'll probably scrape it b/c the bar hangs lower than your tow hook =/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts