Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 92 Prelude in excellent condition, with 120k miles. I have always changed my oil at 4-5k miles and have been using castrol motor oil. I was wondering if it is wise to switch to syn oil with this kind of mileage, and if it is possible, would there be any benefit to switching now?

If anyone recommends switching, could you let me know at what mileage intervals I need to change at if I began using syn oil, and if I can continue using a Fram oil filter like I have been using, or is there a special filter I should use with syn oil?

Thanks for all your help..

Ryan P.

·
Registered
332 Posts
92prelude120k

if it means anything 2 u, i switched to synthetic around 70k and had no problems. i dont think the filter matters...anyone can correct me. i think the ride runs slightly better, too

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. My car had 66,000 miles when I got it and I did not know what kind of oil the previous owner used. I wanted to switch to synthetic but didn't want to destroy the seals which had formed so I've been using a synthetic blend of Mobil 1. It blends regular oil with synthetic so it seems like a perfect solution for an engine with that many miles.

------------------
94 Prelude VTEC

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
It's never too late. The only problem you might run into is breaking loose some of the "sludge" in your engine. There's not doubt that synthetic would be better if you plan to keep the car a long time. The stronger detergents used, though, may break up deposits over time. I'd recommend that if you switch to synthetic you change oil at 1k and then progressively increase it (if you like).

In all likelihood, your seals are reaching their "end of life" and won't last much longer regardless of oil. I don't think there's any benefit to using conventional on an old car other than to gum up bad seals- I'd switch, and just be anal about the first few changes.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's never too late to switch to synthetic. But if you weren't already changing your oil at 3000 mile intervals, I don't see the point.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, i don't know if this is any help, but i was looking into the same thing (113K miles), and so i contacted Valvoline through their website and asked them.
They said: "You do not want to use synthetics in those older engines, they could
leak and burn off very easily. What you want to do is switch to MaxLife and keep
on using MaxLife, it will give your engine the best opportunity to last as long
as it can."

That seemed like a tad on the bullsh*t side, and just wanted to sell more MaxLife. Oh well, who can you trust?

------------------
1990 Volvo 740 Turbo/IC
The Swedish Honda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts