Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the widest tire anyone has fit onto a the 5Gen?

I know that 225/50/15 Kumhos (9.2" overall width) fit on a 15 x 7 (+45mm offset).

I am looking at the 225/45/15 Hoosier R3S03s, and I am sure they will fit as well since they are 9.3" in overall width.

The real tire I would like to use are Hoosier racing slicks. The closest thing they have are 23x9.5-15s. They are a whopping 10.4" wide on 7" wide rims! Tread width alone is 9.4"!! I am sure this tire would be kick ass, but I am pretty sure it's going to rub. That slick is probably the equivalent of a 240 or 250mm wide tire.

Thanks for the help!

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Whoa BIlly, you're going all out with those big tires! I currently run 225/40/18 and I have yet to see anyone, 4th or 5th gen, have anything wider. It might be because no one wants to try anything wider due to the possibility of rubbing. I know with 225s I'm cutting it awful close.

I know you take stuff to the extreme, but that might be too much.

JP

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
I know I've seen someone that had 235's on there. And someone running 19's. Could've been the same person. But I really can't see that not rubbing, unless they rolled the fenders, and had spacers. Maybe it would work, I don't know.

Billy, I think those might be a bit big
but have you considered rolling your fenders? And spacers? I know H&R makes some, I don't know if it would help you all that much, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/products/spacers.html

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I should correct myself.

I am currently using 225/50/15 Kumhos on 15 x 7 (+45mm offset) rims. The overall width of the Kumhos are 9.2", so I know the 225/45/15 Hoosiers will fit (9.3" wide).

Hmmm...I don't think those Hoosier slicks are going to fit. I might have to wait to see what kind of slicks Kumho is coming out with......

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jpprelude:
Whoa BIlly, you're going all out with those big tires!</font>
Funny thing is that they aren't that big. They are still one inch SMALLER in overall diameter!!

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, those are the ones I am talking about! They are much, much wider, but still 1 inch smaller in overall diameter. Crazy isn't it!?

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
- snip - The closest thing they have are 23x9.5-15s. They are a whopping 10.4" wide on 7" wide rims! Tread width alone is 9.4"...
</font>
I seriously doubt you'll be able to fit rubber this wide. *Especially* given that they are smaller in diameter. Check the front and rear tires and where they come close to the upright- you'll notice it's curved, spreading out to meet the upper a-arm at the ball joint. 225's come awful close to rubbing.

Regardless if you offset more than stock (or is it less?) or not, I think you'll run into serious interference problems with the body. Even considering you're smaller in diameter, you have to consider that when you're turning the front wheels you're presenting a nice wide area to interfere with the fender.

On top of all that, I get rub on my 225's on the inside of the wheel well when going near full lock, regardless of deflection or lowering. Offset may help this but I doubt it would fix it (especially with that wide a tire), and then you have to worry about interference.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jmcn:
Make the first wide-body Prelude! You could put like 255s on there if you wanted to. :D
</font>
Yeah, Billy, you have a friend that does body work... have him glass in some flares. Or wait until I get my welder, we can weld in some sheet on the sides.

Like an early M3 body : )

·
Registered
188 Posts
there was a guy on superhonda who CLAIMED he was running 245's on his 4th gen. i don't know if it was true, and i don't know how much of a change in size the fenders are between a 4th and 5th gen, but for what its worth....actually it may not be worth anything

·
Registered
456 Posts
DSP-
I currently run 225/40/17's with a 17x7.5" rim with +48 offset and never have rubbed, ever.
I am thinking about a setup if I ever go FI that would be 235/35/17's and 17x8" rim with +50 offset.
I'm pretty sure this will work withone exception--If the actual tire widths of both my current Nitto 555's and whatever 235/35/17's I might get differ from their rated sizes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I really think they will be too wide. That's too bad. I really wanted to run full slicks this year......

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At this rate, NO.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't serious there, but it seems that there is set back after set back. Although, this last set back might just be worth it.

To be realistic, I am hoping to have it together by June and racing by July. I already have an appointment with Brinks to take the car there for some stuff in June, so I hope I have it running by then!

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.