Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
grrrrrrr
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tricks??? I guess I over-torqued my oil filter last time and now I can't get the SOB off with my filter socket thingy. The filter now has a little oil around it so its real slippery and the wrench just keeps sliding off. Barely any room to get it on straight and get some good power behind it... BLAH!!!:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Get a screwdriver and hammer it through it and twist it off. Try and do it close to the end of the filter. It will work but you will have a decent sized mess most likely.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
4bidden said:
Get a screwdriver and hammer it through it and twist it off. Try and do it close to the end of the filter. It will work but you will have a decent sized mess most likely.
that seems like your only solution...

have you tried cleaning and drying it up a bit so the wrench has a better grip?

·
grrrrrrr
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4bidden said:
I'll give it a try - just worried it will rip the filter rather than actually twist it off - then i'm ****ed

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Cant be any more ****ed than you are right now? Your wrench wont even get it off....

·
grrrrrrr
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hhaha - phew!!! It finally worked. Started ripping the filter but then just nailed the screw driver all the way through and that was enough.

Thanks for the tip!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Next time try folding a piece of sandpaper where both rough sides are facing out.
Wrap it around the filter
Place the wrench on the filter and then give it a twist.
Not as messy or risky and lots of grip!
This works really well on the band type filter wrenches.

·
grrrrrrr
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I was thinking of the band types but unfortunately had now way to get there! Next time I think I'll grab one of those instead, and try not to over torque.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
how did you put on the filter? i hope you didn't use the wrench to tighten it

·
Registered
409 Posts
yeah i have one of the band type wrenches and the more force you apply to take it off the tigher the wrench grips, try that kind

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
isn't it a 1/4 turn after the seal touches base? no reason to have overtorqued filters unless jiffy lube did it :p

anywho. although the stabbing of the filter works most of the time. i can remember one client we had back in the day that tried it. and ripped the top off the filter in effect doing nothing but ensuring that he couldn't drive the car at all. ended up paying the towing fee on top of the other charges. of course there were multiple problems with this car, but still. you guys get the point. cause i kinda lost it heh :D

v

·
grrrrrrr
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
93si4ws said:
isn't it a 1/4 turn after the seal touches base? no reason to have overtorqued filters unless jiffy lube did it :p

anywho. although the stabbing of the filter works most of the time. i can remember one client we had back in the day that tried it. and ripped the top off the filter in effect doing nothing but ensuring that he couldn't drive the car at all. ended up paying the towing fee on top of the other charges. of course there were multiple problems with this car, but still. you guys get the point. cause i kinda lost it heh :D

v
actually the Helms recommends a 7/8 turn after the filter is seated properly. I guess my guesstimation was off last time! And yes, it recommends the wrench too, not your hand.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
really? wow...

i've hand tightened my oil filter all the times i've changed it. heck, i've hand tightened all the oil filters in all the car's i've changed it on. no problems.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
G_Loc said:
really? wow...

i've hand tightened my oil filter all the times i've changed it. heck, i've hand tightened all the oil filters in all the car's i've changed it on. no problems.
the rubber seal will expand when your car gets hot, creating a good seal on your filter. I mean, when you put a filter on hand tight and go to take it off when you change your oil, it will always be tighter.

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,891 Posts
Easiest way.....

If your'e planning on discarding the filter anyway, just use a big a$$ pair of channel locks. I have a pair that open up to 4 inches and it just grabs ahold of it and loosens it up and then i can use my hand to get it off the rest of the way.

·