Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been going to a local community college for 3 semester now (I'm currently in my 4th) and I'm ready to transfer to UT in Austin. Now, I know UT is not the most prestigious scool, but is one of the hardest in the area to get in to.

I will be transferring somewhere around 45 credit hours and will have a gpa of CLOSE to 3.5. I dont think I will hit 3.5... but it will be very close.

I will have to send in my application by March 1st. I also have to write 2 essays. A statement of purpose essay, and a personal essay.

In addition to those, I am having my boss (who loves me) write a letter of recommendation -- this is optional, but I believe it is icing on the cake.

I REALLY want to be accepted into this school... does anyone have any tips either for the essays or otherwise?

Thanks,
Shane

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
As far as the essay is concerned... Just try not to be too "cliche" about it... I'm sure they read the same stuff over and over again. Write something that you think will stand out... A lot of my friends wrote about things comparing to their life and how they love doing this or always excelled in doing that... one of my friends however, wrote his essay about zelda and compared that to his life lol... he got in, we didn't, even though we had the better sat's and gpa :shrug: ... luck of the draw maybe? That's the only thing I could think of that stood out...

and hmm... also if you've had interviews or experience in something that your particular field is in. An old classmate of mine had really bad sat's and somewhat decent grades... she, however, is good with journalism and got some kind of article in the newspaper... I'm guessing that sure increased her chances and now is in UCLA. :shrug:

but who knows how these things are really decided. hehe... good luck!

·
Damn Prelude Curse...
337 Posts
I say take as many course as u can at the community college before transfering. Once you get to a university prices for each credit will sky rocket. Save some $$. Cause your gonna need it.

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
yah seroiusly^ ... a class here at a CC costs like 20 bucks a unit... that same class at some schools is like 300-500 bucks a unit :eek:

so yah, get all your GE's and lower divisions done at your CC if you can hehe...

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Also, get your application in EARLY... so even if you have a cliche essay, you have a better chance at getting in b/c the standards are lower at the beginning of the application process...

I am a prime example... my grades were okay and my SAT score was just at 1000.. I certainly was not freshman PSU main material... I got into PSU main campus my freshman year... My application was there the 1st day they were accepting them for Fall 2000...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts