Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Tein SS $875 + $100 for different spring rates

Votes: 12 36.4%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I want to make this as simple as possible. I currently am lowered on H&R Race springs with KYB AGX shocks. The springs are perfect! The drop is just right they are nice and stiff I love every little thing about them. The problem is with the shocks. They are 150% blown to hell. They make noise leak fluid the whole deal. Anyhow i'm pissed and want to make the right choice on what to get next. Please keep in mind that im a poor college student that doesn't want to go into CC debt over suspension on my car but will if you guys can make me think its worth it. So here goes:

1. Another set of KYB AGX shocks...cheap might only last another year or so but who knows how much longer I will have the car.

2. Koni Yellows...more costly but a much better shock. Last MUCH longer more adjustable both height and dampener.

3. Tein Basic...if I'm gonna spend the cash for Yellows why not spend a bit more and get the basic setup. No dampener adjustablity but a true coilover with Tein quality. My only problem is with the low spring rates. Spring Rate: 448f/224r give or take 56 lbs/in front and rear

4. Tein SS...well why not go all out and get the SS. Alot more money that my first option but a far better setup. The spring rates are still low compaired to my H&R race springs but I can live with that. I'm only worried that I wont get the use out of them because this car is basically just a daily driver. Spring Rate: 448f/224r give or take 112 lb/in front and rear

Please note that the H&R Race springs are rated around 450/375. Thats not an exact # but im sure its more than the stock Teins. Also...if you guys/gals dont mind when you vote just simply take a minute to post why you voted for one thing or another. Thanks so much!!

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Since you are lowered on Race springs, it's no surprise the AGX's are blown...they are only really warrantied to 1.5" anyways.

I have a set of Neuspeed Sports so I think they will match up well. Might as well save for Koni's, something that is more suited for aggressive drops...

my two cents

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
You didn't say what you want them for, looks or performance. My car is just a daily driver also, but I put some hard miles on it daily and I LOVE my Tein SS. If you want serious performance, I don't think you can do better than the matched spring and damper combo that you get with true coilovers. If you want looks, then go with the cheapest possible solution.

·
I'm back!
1,161 Posts
TEIN, I am happy with mine and you heard all the comments all these users have given...............Im just waitin for mugenpoweredlude to add his comments.........

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I'm more than happy with my Koni Yellows. I just have sport springs though, not race so I'm not sure if they would need to be revalved for that lower ride height. If I could do it again, I would get Ground Control coilovers with the Koni Yellows. I'm kinda sketchy about Tein because of all the people that say they are bad about rusting

·
Convicted GSR Rapist
1,512 Posts
g/c look really good in quality. I was thinking about going that route this time. I opted out of a tien buy for a reall good price to do shadiness. I'm currently under the same issue of needing new suspension again. My stock shocks arent blown, but the upper mounts are torn to ****. Fear VIS suspension parts ;) Ya the parts that almost no one knows about :p

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
godfather16 said:
Im just waitin for mugenpoweredlude to add his comments.........
you asked and you shall receive.....

get TEIN SS yO!:laugh:

seriously, i love mine, theyre an excellent setup for the lude....and for the price you cant go wrong...oh and of course the adjustablility....cant beat that...i say go with the SS, and besides we both PA people and the ride is good..i just have it extra soft now since i put on my 18's, before i felt everything with them now i softened the SS a bit and the ride is much more comfortable for me

i did alot of research on which to go with and i was gonna go with GC/Koni, but i heard about the TEIN SS, and for the price i was bought....and i always liked the idea of full coilovers, i didnt want to be bothered with springs/shocks

get em...you wont regret:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
tein SS, enough said

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I voted Koni. It sounds like you're very happy with the springs (both drop & spring rate), and it doesn't sound like you're excited about spending more money than is necessary. Koni yellows will perform excellently with the H&R races, have a small amount of height adjustability, as well as rebound adjustibility.

Also, are the H&R race rates really that high? I believe their literature lists them at roughly 60% stiffer than stock, which actually wouldn't be as stiff as a Tein setup. In fact, the general limit for Koni's is said to be about 400 lb/in, and given the amount of people who use them successfully w/ race spring combos, I'd be surprised if the race springs are that stiff.

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the all the opinions guys! This is probably going to be one hell of a choice on my part. I am really worried about going into Credit Card debt over shocks on my car. I'm not sure if its worth it. Also....with the Teins more than likely I will need to order at least a front camber kit because as it is now I'm getting just a bit of negative camber. So I also have to plan for that cost. I'm saving some money by doing the install myself but not enough to comfertably buy the SS with out giving it just a little more thought.

MugenPoweredLude - Since we are both from PA I guess you can relate the best with my daily driving situation. How is it with your 18s now? I mean do you rub at all? Because that last thing I want is a suspension thats not as stiff and I rub all the time. Also...how often do you guys with the SS adjust them? Is it something that is that big of a deal for daily driving or not?

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
Go with Konis since you already have an aftermarket spring/shock setup. You also can't beat Koni's life time warranty. I have no idea how Tein SS owners will replace their shocks...spend another 800 and buy a new set, I guess? :confused: Also you need to take care of the Teins a lot more so they don't rust or seize.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Tein will rebuild your shocks at their USA facility.

Man, you guys in PA with 18s are insane. :D I lived outside Philly for a year and the interstates there are the worst in the country. It's nothing to drive down a major interstate and hit a 4 inch deep pothole there.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
98VTEC said:

MugenPoweredLude - Since we are both from PA I guess you can relate the best with my daily driving situation. How is it with your 18s now? I mean do you rub at all? Because that last thing I want is a suspension thats not as stiff and I rub all the time. Also...how often do you guys with the SS adjust them? Is it something that is that big of a deal for daily driving or not?
I can help you alot....

with my 18's, the ride got a little bumpier only cuz with anything bigger than 17 you feel everything:( what i did with my TEINS was soften up the suspension a bit....it got better.

when i first got my rims, i rubbed in the rear, but i cut the tab and she dont rub no more and i have ~1/2 finger gap in front and 1 in the rear

i too am a daily driver and if it bothers me i just soften it up more....its not hard at all to adjust, very easy

any more questions hit me up on AIM....xxQBbraveheartxx or on here:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
98VTEC said:
...well why not go all out and get the SS.
All out? I think going all out would be waiting for the Type Flex to come out or getting Buddy Clubs or JICs or Aragostas.

If your car is definitely going to be JUST a daily driver then I would say just the get Basic dampers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts