Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are your stainless steel header rusting yet...like imagepree's DC SS?

if so what brand do you got and how old are they now?

i got DC SS on order but will cancel if that is the case (rusting) for all DC SS.

thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,003 Posts
they will all eventually rust at the flanges, cuz none of them are made w/ SS.

except the MUUUUUUUUUUUUGEN!! of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
thats weird..i have DC ceramic coated on mine for at 2 years with NO rust on the flanges!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
CC != SS

Ceramic coating goes all over the header, hence the flanges are covered, thus they don't rust.

SS headers are stainless except on flanges and welds... and those parts are the ones that rust.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
guys, stainless steel rusts... if you look at imagepree's picture, there is rust not only on the flanges but on the body of the header itself, right where it turns down in the front.

there's a damn good reason you don't see a lot of exposed stainless steel out there in the world. subject it to heat, cold, wet, salt, etc, and it will rust.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
Nah, go take a look at a used Mugen header. The only parts that rust are those that have been touched by oil... even miniscule amounts (ie, fingerprints) and then heated.

I think the Mugen will last far longer than a CC, though by 5 years it will fade considerably. The DC... er... it's a DC. Let's leave it at that.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
guys, stainless steel rusts... if you look at imagepree's picture, there is rust not only on the flanges but on the body of the header itself, right where it turns down in the front.

there's a damn good reason you don't see a lot of exposed stainless steel out there in the world. subject it to heat, cold, wet, salt, etc, and it will rust.
</font>


------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
like i said, subject it to heat cold, wet, salt, etc (including oil) and it will rust. it might take a while, and different grades of stainless will take the abuse in different ways, but eventually, it'll rust. i wouldn't put any uncoated steel (stainless or otherwise) on my doorknob, let alone in my engine bay!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spite:
Nah, go take a look at a used Mugen header. The only parts that rust are those that have been touched by oil... even miniscule amounts (ie, fingerprints) and then heated.

I think the Mugen will last far longer than a CC, though by 5 years it will fade considerably. The DC... er... it's a DC. Let's leave it at that.

</font>
 

·
another SS->5spd!
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
I have painted all the flanges with clear high heat paint when it was brand new. No sign of rusting after 3 years of usage.
 
G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
they will all eventually rust at the flanges, cuz none of them are made w/ SS.

except the MUUUUUUUUUUUUGEN!! of course.
</font>
My HiTech will be 100% stainless.


------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
I have a JR SS header that has over 86K miles on it. Most of the header still looks stainless, but it does have a rust appearance towards the inside of the header and on the welds.

It has also been re-welded in a couple of places where it appeared it was going to leak, but never really did. I did however replace the flex pipe at about 30K miles when it cracked from the stress of racing at the track.

I'll take a couple of pics this morning and post them here.

This header has not been available for a few years and I don't want to get rid of it because it dropped my time by between 2-3 tenths of a second in the 1/4 after installation. If need be I'll just re-weld when necessary.


Here is a pic when it only had about 5-10K miles. You can compare this with the ones I take in a little bit. Not the best pic to see it but you can get and idea of what it use to look like.






[This message has been edited by VeeTec (edited April 25, 2001).]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
Here is a pic from this am.

I realized it actually has about 90K miles now!! Note the rust color on the inside and welds. Still works great though!


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
veetec, thanks for the pics.

so all in all, any SS header (whether it is DC or others) can rust over time b/c of its exposure to harsh conditions (with the exception of a couple brands like mugen and hi-tech).
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
really? what is it???


<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
schwett:
that is NOT rust.
</font>
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top