Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you topped off the transmission with fluid, did you bleed the lines? I put about half a quart of ATF in, then added a little more and it spilled over. I'm worried that it didn't fill up the fluid cooler enough though. Will air in the lines hurt the transmission?

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
well i thought you would need like 3 quarts of ATF. That what it says wehn you change it.

I'm going to do my ATF cooler next week before the drive to PNM.

Did you run the cooler along with the radiator or just the cooler on its own.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I didn't drain the old fluid, just added more to accomodate for the new hoses/piping. I ran it through the radiator following DYI01's writeup, is there a better way?

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
did you understand which was the return and which was the sending line. i dont get that.

also what was with that nipple on the bottom? which was was that suppose to be turned?

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
is there a way of actually..changing the entire fluid from the tranny and not just the 3 quarts. I mean is there a way to presureize it and pump it out..or something like that.

i really dont feel like puting in 3 quarts of AMSOIL and then having honda atf mix with it.

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
i saw that thread... but call me stupid... i just dont get it.

You can tap only into 1 line. If you tap into the Sending line...the one that come out of the tranny, you can lead that to the NEW cooler...then to the radiator. Then this way the return line on the passanger side doesnt have to be touched at all.
AM I right?

Or

Did you tap both lines that way the hose runs to the driver side radiator .... then out from the passanger side port..(which is why you have to turn the niple towards the driver side) then to the cooler and from cooler to the tranny.

Shark am i on the right track here with how the flow goes.

Also ...any way of dumping out all of the fluid and not just 3 quarts.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think 3 quarts is all the tranny will hold?

As for the lines, The stock system has a line that runs from the transmission to the radiator. You simply tap into that line with the new cooler. So you take off the hose that connects the transmission line to the radiator, attach one hose (included in the cooler kit) from the transmission line to one of the nipples on the cooler and attach the second hose (also included) from the other nipple on the cooler to the radiator. The reason you turn the fitting attached to the radiator is that it is facing the transmission line (facing passenger side) but your hoses will be coming from the driver's side. I'll draw a picture in a few minutes. I should have taken some closeup pics when I did this yesterday.

see if this helps:

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
You must have a HUGE radiator to hold all that ATF in it. (no return line) So what does your Tranny runs on the,.. hopes and dreams:laugh:

well based on the write up.. it looks that you did ti differently. I have the Helms...and i looked at it... but of course they dont say which line is which and they dont give you the close up of the niples.

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
There are two lines between the tranny and the radiator, a "send" line, and a return line. The line that enters the radiator on the passenger side is the "send" line. The fluid flows from the tranny to the radiator on this line. The line on the driver's side is the return line. You want to tap the return line. The fluid should flow though the stock cooler in the radiator first for greater efficiency. The aftermarket cooler is installed in this fasion so that it supplements cooling rather than being the main source of cooling.

To get rid of all of the old tranny fluid you would have to drop the transmission pan. Not fun.

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
So all i'm doing is tapping 1 line and thats the return line. But what nipple do i turn ... the one on the driver side...since that Nipple is facing towards the tranny?

Do I reuse the OEM return line at all. Or should i just go ahead and get a whole new hose for that to run the entire length from remote cooler back to the tranny?

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
SK Honda 7 said:
So all i'm doing is tapping 1 line and thats the return line. But what nipple do i turn ... the one on the driver side...since that Nipple is facing towards the tranny?

Do I reuse the OEM return line at all. Or should i just go ahead and get a whole new hose for that to run the entire length from remote cooler back to the tranny?
You rotate the driver's side nipple so it faces the driver's side. You will definitely need more hose (should be supplied with cooler kit).

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
ok i will do this next week with a friend. Hopefully we can do this in a few hours at night.

how much oil should i expect to leak out from the lines?

also... should i go to a tranny shop and tell them to take off my trany oil pan and get as much of the old oil out as possible?

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
SK Honda 7 said:

also... should i go to a tranny shop and tell them to take off my trany oil pan and get as much of the old oil out as possible?
how about this question is it worth it:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't sweat it, your tranny fluid doesn't need to be changed anywhere near as often as motor oil. Just top it off after you install the cooler and you'll be cool..

·
Read Only
1,295 Posts
are you guys filling your tranny until it tops off? I think thats bad for the tranny....after installing my cooler i just put in a bit over the max line, but not too much, and you dont need to bleed, this is not a hydrolic pressure system.

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
I'm waiting for this rain to stop in NYC.... been raining for like 1 week non stop. As soon as i have a clear day i'm going to do this mod ESPECIALLY prior to going to PNM.

Can someone tell me what you did to keep the oil from leaking all over when you took the hoses off.

Also, How much is the NIPPLE on the driver side of the radiator has to be turned so that i can put a new line on it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts