Honda Prelude Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going turbo this summer, not right now because i need to save money, But everything on my car is pretty much stock for right now. I have a 96 GS-R. This is my question for Recall: Because i have seen some of your post and you seem to really know what you are talking about. But is the turbo going to mess up anything with my engine. Some people are telling me to S/C and that its safer, but my friend with a aftermarket S/C blew his engine in his saleen. Just wondering what you guys know and if i should be safe or not. Thanks
See ya

------------------
96 Integra GS-R
Intake and upgraded brakes so far.
Apexi vtec controler soon though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have also heard that a SC is safer. But if you run your car with a conservative boost, you should not have any problems.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RompingSIs:
I am thinking about going turbo this summer, not right now because i need to save money, But everything on my car is pretty much stock for right now. I have a 96 GS-R. This is my question for Recall: Because i have seen some of your post and you seem to really know what you are talking about. But is the turbo going to mess up anything with my engine. Some people are telling me to S/C and that its safer, but my friend with a aftermarket S/C blew his engine in his saleen. Just wondering what you guys know and if i should be safe or not. Thanks
See ya

</font>
geez, recall isn't the only one that knows about turbo's. since your question is for recall i'll let him answer it.

------------------

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
As long as you've done your homework and realize what kind of power you are dealing with, I think you will enjoy the turbo without any hassle or problems. You do have to realize you do have to make the accomodations for the extra 60+ hp you will add to your motor. Examples are upgrading the ignition, clutch, fuel system, etc etc. If you do a search on "turbos" here you'll find this subject has been covered many times.

------------------
'96 GS-R
[email protected] mph
"Insert dumb picture here"

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well heck if you know something than by all means yes please awnser it. That is just i have seen recall the most and i think that i talked with him on AOL instant messenger before. Nothing against anyone else. heck i am the one that is having to ask the question, see ya guys

------------------
96 Integra GS-R

·
Registered
164 Posts
recac ran a best of mid 14s on a boosted gsr...

hahahaha jk matt, ill stop it... for now

SC safer than turbo? ummmm...sure if you compare a engine with lotsa miles pushing 20psi on stock internals and a 6psi SC...

on a serious note, like the others said, as long as you do your research (obviously youre asking questions, which is good) then either set up of FI is reliable.

------------------
[email protected] - the fastest teg with a broken clutch that made it to the end of the 1320

DarkAngel RS (AIM)
94 Integra RS NOTEC sedan
www.hondaclub.com
Hybrid Forum Moderator

My Baby other than my car:

touch her and i'll kick your ass

March 10, 2001 - My top secret devious plan will be in effect

[This message has been edited by 95SiR (edited March 07, 2001).]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i wouldn't be running at boost of 20 PSI. I would maybe run like 12 at the most but most of the time have it tured down with like the apexi boost controller

------------------
96 Integra GS-R

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well i wouldn't be running at boost of 20 PSI. I would maybe run like 12 at the most but most of the time have it tured down with like the apexi boost controller

</font>
lol, i was being sarcastic there buddy...but yeah kinda hard to tell over the internet...
anyway... 12 psi on what??? stock internals???

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the turbo is a 7 psi turbo. I dont know if i want to go too much past that. But would they both get about the same amount of performance or is the S/C not as powerful. thats what i thought. thanks

------------------
96 Integra GS-R

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
7psi........JR SC vs. DRAG.....doesn't even come close. On a GS-R the JR would produce around 210hp while the DRAG put out on average 250hp. However, people's experiences with the new Vortech S/C sounds pretty good so far. Can't wait to see numbers on that thing......aside from their [email protected] company car..

------------------
'96 GS-R
[email protected] mph
"Insert dumb picture here"

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well the turbo is a 7 psi turbo. I dont know if i want to go too much past that. But would they both get about the same amount of performance or is the S/C not as powerful. thats what i thought. thanks

</font>
what do you mean the turbo is a 7psi turbo? or are you saying its a small turbo with a low airflow capable of only upto 7lbs?
as for SC not being powerful or not, the SC has a different powercurve. it starts much earlier... youve heard of boost lag on a turbo and the torque on an SC right? well, turbo once it spools, it boosts on the set psi at whatever rpms it may be, the sc is belt driven and is instaniously "spooled" providing that "kick in the ass" torque.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, i know the difference between a turbo and a S/C. I can get the turbo for about 2,500 with the innercooler which is awesome. how much do most superchargers cost? i thought that they were is at least the 3 grand range. see ya

------------------
96 Integra GS-R

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After looking up turbo's vs. superchargers i think that i might go with the supercharger. you can find them A LOT cheaper on thepartstrader.com. Less to worry about also. with like having to let your car rest after you get done running it with a turbo to let it cool down and all. Well see ya guys

------------------
96 Integra GS-R

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
dont worry about nutsack. hes still acting pissy because i defaced his banner. the main boost guys here are nutsack, dc2 and voodoo. there are others but these guys post a lot. anything they say is good as well

hmm checked the search feature and most of our posts have been pruned so here goes again

if ur looking at sticking to low boost (in ur case 12 psi) when u first install the turbo run it at the stock wastegate settings (ie 7 lbs) or even turn it down to 4ish. that way u can save up and buy the rest of the crap u need and dont have to save like 6 grand all at once.

if ur choice is between jrsc and turbo and u want a reliable setup a properly tuned turbo is more reliable than a sc. the main reasons for this are less heat, less stress on the internals and higher clearence tolerances in the sc. the sc produces more heat because of the lack of a fmic. i know they have an aftercooler option but its not even close in comparison. high heat equals more detonation prone. the sc also produces more power at the crank than the turbo but it uses 60 hp or so just to run the charger. this means that the increase in power is not directly proportional to increases in stress. and the turbos (IMO) are built better than the jrsc. oscar runs a good shop but the turbos are built to withstand 100,000+ rpms and the technology for turbos has been around much longer than that for jrsc (ie diesels and big rigs etc..).

the turbo also isnt that hard to maintain. as long as its installed correctly (ask about that when ur closer to buying it) its not very much work to keep it running well. u just have to make sure ur coolent is topped off and not overheating and change ur oil on time (or earlier). as far as letting the engine cool off by idleing, this is actually good for any car but u only really need it for a turbo. just get a turbo timer (30 minute install) and ur fine. the reason u need this is because when the car is on, the engine is running and oil is being cycled. as soon as u shut the car off the oil stops being cycled. the turbo is very hot when u are running the car even under normal conditions. by idleing the car before shutting it off u give the turbo time to cool down while oil is still being cycled through it.

u should retard ur ignition timing as well. a turbo has a faster burn rate than a na engine. u want max cylinder compression at 12-14 degrees atdc. ur stock timing is at 16 degrees btdc. thats great for a na engine because the burn rate is about 30 dergees. in a turbo car u usually dont want to run anything higher than 20-22 or so degrees total timing (assuming relativly high boost). thats really the only thing u have to get tuned properly. retard it back to 10 or so degrees btdc and u should be fine for 7-10psi

oh yea, the general rule of thumb is not to boost longer than 15ish seconds at a time on a stock bottom end. a lot of heat it generated when u stay on the boost. this is actually very easy to do because u have to be accelerating to have built boost.

regarding what other mods u need to run safly. u can run at 4-7 psi with no other mods. just take it easy and dont floor it at every stoplight. the next mods u should get are injectors and ignition. preferably an ignition with a built in retard adjuster. then to run at 12 psi u should get a block guard and pistons/rings. u can also get rods just to be safe but they arnt absolutly necessary at 12psi. to run higher boost there are many other options but u probably dont need to hear them right now

hope that all made sense

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.ha-deluxe.net/chat.htm" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DC2:
Your stock internals won't let you have fun past 10 psi. </font>
then you'll be turblown

Anyway, boost is boost dude...regardless if it's NOS, SC, or turbo. The difference with turbo is that you can turn the boost up or down...which can be good and bad. What do you need to know btw?? I am assuming that you know the parts to get right? If you want to boost higher than the stock 6psi on the turbo, do your engine a favor and upgrade your internals. Other than that, like DC2 said, just keep in your mind that your engine will endure more stress with the added boost and don't go crazy on the psi.

As far as the SC goes...they go for about $2800. That's the price I saw at their site. You can get a discount on the JRSC if you are a Hondaclub member, plus additional benefits as well
, check the link on my sig

------------------
Jimmy L.
AIM = GSR31
AIM = TWCHSDJimmy when I am at work
99 GSR