Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the difference between the following?!

Pepboys 160 Degree thermostat
Honda OEM thermostat
Pepboys 180 Degree Thermostat (OEM replacement)
Mugen Thermostat

My car gets all the way up to red on the temp scale so i'm going to replace the thermostat and radiator and maybe even the fan switch. Thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
not sure about all of them but i have the mugen...only advise i can give to you is it you go with a low temp tstat, get yourself a oem one for the winter...it took my car a LOOOOOOONG time to warm up with the mugen tstat which sucks ass...but another thing about the low temp ones is that it will make your car run rich because the ecu thinks the motor is cold so i always have the smell of extra fuel when i drive...not sure about the quality and differences between the others but i can only give you first hand experiences with the mugen one...cant tell you if my car drives faster because of it but i think i am going to go with an oem one soon

·
Registered
744 Posts
if you switch to OEM would you wanna sell the Mugen one for a nice price?? i live in tx so i doubt winters will be a problem with it. later

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
sure i have to fix my temp gauge this week and if i have to take out the thermo hosing to fix it i will be going back to stock...if i sell it i will PM you when i am ready :bigthumb:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, i donno if dropping 40+ for a thermostat is really worth it. I was thinking OEM, or the one at the parts store that is OEM they say. Prolly just get an OEM too.

my car over heats, i have a VERY small crack in the radiator (sealed somewhat) but could it be the fan switch? a faulty sensor, or just a thermostat. AHHHHH i need a fix

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
check your fluid levels...i was overheating and checked everything and didnt fix it...one day i was cleaning the car and went to fill up my radiator and it was near empty...its always the easy things that are hard to find....but i doubt your problem is that easy to fix, but you never know

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope its not, i made sure its there is no air in the raditor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
stop driving your car until you get this fixed! replace what you said...an overheating car is TELLING you something, and driving it despite this will cause you twice the headache down the line in the form of a blown headgasket or such. A stuck thermostat will impede coolant flow and cause the overheating, the fan switch is sort of a non-issue, however a crack in your radiator will only become bigger and more of an issue.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'll drop in a new thermostat tomorrow, if honda is open i'll go with OEM. Is it hard?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Nope. Just follow the lower radiator hose to where it mounts to the motor. The bolts holding that spout on the motor encases the thermostat. Just unbolt it and take it off, piece of cake. Oh, and be sure to get the thermostat gasket along with the thermostat.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I had a similar problem, but my car didnt' overheat as bad as yours. I had a small crack by the filler on the top of the radiator
eventually my radiator blew up while my wife was driving my car.

I would change the radiator and thermostat.

I cant tell you how important it is to make sure that you buy the radiator locally cause I got mine from a 911radiator website and my stock cap didn't fit, not did any at ANY auto stores, Not at ANY at Radiator shops, Finally found it at a special honda distributor.
I had like 7days of down time, when it only took an hour to swap out the radiator.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wanna change the radiator now, but i'm too piss broke, i tried patching up the crack, maybe i'll try again. It held for a while but now that its leaking again i think the decrease in pressure is causing the boiling point to drop. I'll try the thermostat today, also i'm driving around with my heater on lately to keep the fans on, and its 95 degrees, sunny, and FL, damn i need a JOB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts