Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
veteran sharkdiver
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a used Thermal for a price I couldn't pass up. Installed it yesterday, and so far I'm happy with it. It has a deep tone, and it isn't as loud as my custom 2.5" with Magnaflow mufflers was. It actually seems to get quieter above 5k rpm. Midrange power seems improved over the stock exhaust.

Note that the exhaust is not fully stainless steel. The piping is 2.25" stainless, and the mufflers appear to be mostly stainless. The inlets and outlets of the mufflers are mild steel, as are the flanges. The piping is beautiful.

The fitment of this exhaust is fantastic, I would say as good as stock. Here are some pics, notice the adapter between the cat and the exhaust: this is the Greddy adapter, the Thermal I picked up is actually made for an SH (for those that don't know, I have a base Sportshift). Ignore the dirt, I know it needs a bath :p

Sound clips! 56k death (especially since they are being hosted on wtdr)! These were taken with my Sony DSC-P9 in the lowest resolution MPEG mode. I actually have a much better video, but it is 45 megs, and I have no way of hosting it. If anyone would like to host a 45 meg video for me, please PM me.

Keep in mind, I have a JRSC, so in some parts of the clips when I am really getting on it, you are hearing how it sounds during boost with the blower. On an NA car it would sound more like in the first 2 clips below, before I make the U-turn. Also, I cannot attest to how this would perform on an NA car, but considering the piping and the straight through design, I can only assume it would perform as well as an N1 or a Mugen.

Interior, windows up:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

Interior, windows down:

Exterior:

This exhaust typically is around $600 brand new, but you can occassionally find them used!

·
Registered
206 Posts
i saw your purchase... I had my offer typed into the window until i scrolled down... and saw SOLD!

been looking for this exaust review everywhere + sounds.

Thanks very much for the vids!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mmmmm listen to that JRSC :bigthumb:

Sounds great!

Do you let off the gas when you shift?...

I do that sometimes....to make it seem more like a 5spd :(

haha o well :shrug:

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I had this exhaust and sold it after a year or so. I found it droning at hiway speeds and personally thought the car lost a noticeable amount of power after I installed it. The quality of the build is top notch but Thermal claimed the exhaust made 7-10 hp and after months of nagging them on how they came about those numbers and the constant reply or a dyno being down etc... it was obvious there was no fact behind their claim.

One other thing that got to me was the canister is too small and the tips needed to be slightly closer together. I know everyone has their own opinion but a larger canister couldve made it both quieter and more OEM looking.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I was just putting my $.02 in since I remember everyone talking about how quiet and OEM like the exhaust was when its just not true. I had actually sold the exhaust to Schwett who I believe only had it on the car a coupke weeks for the same reason, drone. At the time I loved it but once I went from a 10 mile each way commute to just under 50 miles and all highway it got to me a little much for me.

I dont think it sounded poorly, it just seemed ot have a hard spot around 4k which was where I was driving all the time.

·
*yawn*
13,632 Posts
sharkcohen said:
Update: There is a strange rumor floating around that I hated this exhaust and that I sold it. Not true! I still have this exhaust and I plan on keeping it (at least until I go turbo, someday).

I need to rehost those pics.
schwett was the one who got it and then hated it people not sharkcohen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts