Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

THATPRELUDEGUY: I got the thermal installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes, that mpeg you had didnt do justice to the actual sound of the exhaust!

-pretty quiet idle (ALMOST as quiet as stock)
-when you press the gas pedal, definitely louder -- though I think its loudness sensation is felt more inside the car than outside.
-at 3000rpm on 5th gear, cruising around 100kph, its got a noticeable low rumble. somewhat louder than i thought. but yeah, punch it to 3rd and it just roarsssssssssss.
-i find that its the most loud around 3000-4000rpm at each gear, thereafter its actually more quiet..

yes--> thermal does NOT sound FARTY. that MPEG of thatpreludeguy's car was misleading due to lack of lowend frequencies in the recording medium.

wow!!!

also, am i on crack?? or does my car pull harder than stock? my ass felt like i lost some torque but it did pull harder at higher revs. ???

oh, and i got my wingswest mid-wing installed too. (for those of you who werent following my post --> i had some nasty problems with the painting .. but it was all resolved and they re-sanded and repainted it beautifully)
http://honda-acura.net/forum/Forum20/HTML/009254.html
http://honda-acura.net/forum/Forum20/HTML/009575.html

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
btw,

what did u people do with your stock exhaust when you put in an aftermarket one?

i live in a small bachelor pad so i dont have much storage space, besides a balcony and a small cage in the basement.

do people actually buy this thing? or have a need for this? if so, how much can i sell it for?

·
OG
2,040 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkoc:
do people actually buy this thing? or have a need for this? if so, how much can i sell it for?</font>
when i got my exhaust i hung onto the old muffler, and i sold it for 100 to a guy who needed a stocker to get rid of a ticket. anyone how much are they really worth?

------------------
Raman
AIM: R Viper G
Viper's Lair
99 Pearl White SS
Mods

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I told you so! Next time your at the exhuast do me a favor and look inside the tailpipes and see if it looks like there's baffles in there. I found a picture I took the first night straight up the tips and it looks like there's some kind of restirction that makes the actuall hole much smaller. I'm thinking of tyring to figure a way to open it all the way up...I'm sure that will make it much louder but it might also let some more exhaust out. Hmmmm maybe I should call Thermal and see what they have to say.

Glad you liked it, and glad I have someone else to back up the fact that it sounds sweet.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am keeping my stock exhaust...I will put it back for the winter..U know ottawa has way too much salt on the road...

·
Registered
423 Posts
I forgot one thing...Can you post a pic of the exhaust...when I went to goldwing, they never show me what its look like....

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Quote... Next time your at the exhuast do me a favor and look inside the tailpipes and see if it looks like there's baffles in there.

Just so everyone knows-the restriction you speak of are the "stealth cones" and they are welded in there. They really do not hurt performance.

For those wondering, several of us are watching the sound level over time and what RPM it is loudest. So far it appears to be between 2500-3500 under acceleration and loading. Cruising at those RPM's is just fine. Yes it rumbles in the cabin at 78dB. Readings under my car in the driveway give 94dB max at about 4000.

The sound just grows on you-and yes I did have to turn the stereo up 3 clicks

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc836:
Quote... Next time your at the exhuast do me a favor and look inside the tailpipes and see if it looks like there's baffles in there.

Just so everyone knows-the restriction you speak of are the "stealth cones" and they are welded in there. They really do not hurt performance.

</font>
Well I know what my dyno'd at before the exhuast and to me I think it feels a little worse then the stock exhuast so I'm going to dyno it again in a few weeks with the only new addition being the Thermal. If it's worse or equal to the power before I'm going to see about replacing the muffler with something more free flowing. I'm not sure what the point of the cones are but I'd rather gain a few dB's then lose any hp. They just look like a bottleneck to me.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so thru time the exhaust sound "settles down"? what exactly do you mean?

i get the feeling its just psychological. you just get used to its sound and tone so you THINK it "Settles" down but really, your mind got accustomed to it?

at any case, wicked. man i think i'll go take some pics!! i wish i had some sort of portable digital recorder too! minidisc recorder or ~~..

anyway, i'm GOING OUT FOR A DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MEHEHEHEHEH!

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Mine 100% got mellower as it "wore" in. The first week or so it was louder and more intrusive then it is now. I like it but I've been thinking of replacing the muffler with something that has slightly larger tips, ones that are closer to each other, and something that doesn't have those "stealth cones". I like every angle except from directly behind it..it just doesn't fit the rest of my car. I guess it all depend on the dyno and how much $$$ the exhuast shop wants to cut off the existing muffler and set me up with the type I'm looking for. *** not a "A" priority***

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aZnRYcEbOi:
hey jkoc, any pics?? i'm dying to see the wing!
post them on the TPC board man!

</font>
yeah i'll be taking pics this afternoon. its really muggy outside so i'll wait. i have to get them developed too (i'm old school -- i dont have a digital camera)

also, like i said before, i think this wing looks better with a body kit unfortunately. i was SLIGHLY disappointed when it was installed. perhaps i'm not used to it? i seems too look better in pics with that wing and body kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts