Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone emailed me on advice for thermal exhausts and he brought to my attention this discrepancy:

Just the other month, when i was shopping for a Thermal exhaust, their website listed that they only make a "stealth (dual tip)" catback exhaust for GEN5 non-SH. They did NOT have a "Classic" version of the exhaust for gen5 non-SH.

Now, when i checked that site, it is the opposite. There is a "Classic" version but no "Stealth" version.

What's going on? did they just mislabel? I bought my Thermal under the impression mine was the "Stealth" model with the dual tips. Is this really just a "Classic" model with dual tips?

My interpretation was that "Classics" are super loud and come with a single 4" tip. Whereas "Stealths" are quieter with a dual tip (for prelude).

*confused*

[This message has been edited by jkoc (edited April 25, 2001).]

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Anyone else with a Thermal know if they have the Stealth or the Classic system? Please include what year Prelude you have as well.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkoc:
someone emailed me on advice for thermal exhausts and he brought to my attention this discrepancy:

Just the other month, when i was shopping for a Thermal exhaust, their website listed that they only make a "stealth (dual tip)" catback exhaust for GEN5 non-SH. They did NOT have a "Classic" version of the exhaust for gen5 non-SH.

Now, when i checked that site, it is the opposite. There is a "Classic" version but no "Stealth" version.

What's going on? did they just mislabel? I bought my Thermal under the impression mine was the "Stealth" model with the dual tips. Is this really just a "Classic" model with dual tips?

My interpretation was that "Classics" are super loud and come with a single 4" tip. Whereas "Stealths" are quieter with a dual tip (for prelude).

*confused*

[This message has been edited by jkoc (edited April 25, 2001).]
</font>

I was told mine (SH model full catback dual tips) was the "Stealth" model. I was under the impression that the classic was that typical straight though 4" bomb they use mostly for FI applications.

***shrugs***

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
exactly..

i was told by my dealer that i was getting a "stealth" version for my gen5. and that thermal didnt make a "classic" bomb like civics etc..

i guess it really doesnt matter though... the exhaust i have KICKS ASS. just would be nice to have some sort of clarification.

in addition, i was a little surprised that they'd call this thing a "stealth". it was as loud as (or similar to) the GReddy evo (compared side by side with Andy's). maybe it was called "stealth" due to the stock-like appearance of dual tips?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:

I was told mine (SH model full catback dual tips) was the "Stealth" model. I was under the impression that the classic was that typical straight though 4" bomb they use mostly for FI applications.

***shrugs***
</font>

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
exactly..

i was told by my dealer that i was getting a "stealth" version for my gen5. and that thermal didnt make a "classic" bomb like civics etc..

i guess it really doesnt matter though... the exhaust i have KICKS ASS. just would be nice to have some sort of clarification.

in addition, i was a little surprised that they'd call this thing a "stealth". it was as loud as (or similar to) the GReddy evo (compared side by side with Andy's). maybe it was called "stealth" due to the stock-like appearance of dual tips?

</font>

Well I've heard the "classic" on a turbo Si and compared to that mine is SUPER STEALTH!!!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyway, i sent them an email about it..
.hopefully i'll get a reply

(test of their customer service hahaha)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hi there again.

The 5th gen Thermal cat-back comes in a 2 tip model only. Look inside and you will see the cones that are indeed the "Stealth" part of the muffler. The unit whether cat-back or axle-back uses an oval muffler with the twin 2.5" tips. Those of us with the ca-back can tell you that the resonator is indeed louder than stock as it is shorter and smaller in outside diameter than stock.
To the best of my understanding from talking to Thermal direct that is the only way they are making it for any model of 5th gen Prelude.

BTW: I love it

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
jc836

So are you saying that the Stealth is the one Thermal makes for 5th gens and the Classic is only for 4th gens?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THERMALS REPLY:

I will try and clarify the confusion about the Prelude systems for you. Initially when we came up with the STEALTH systems, it was to give people a quieter alternative to some of our louder systems (i.e. the 92-98 Honda Civic systems as a Classic are about 92 decibels). These systems are loud but still street legal. Many of the systems listed in the Classic section of the website have the STEALTH cones...we do it this way because there is no option for the consumer on these systems. The reason being, we had to use the STEALTH cones to get the systems under the legal limit in California. The Prelude systems tested between 86 -88 decibles. I don't know how much sense this makes to you...I wish I could be more eloquent. Rest assured, the system you have on your vehicle is a STEALTH. The system is as quiet as we could possibly make it (without being counterproductive power-wise). If you have any further questions (or you need any clarification on this e-mail), feel free to call us at (818)998-7837.

Cheralyn Steger
Sales/Mktg. Mgr.
Thermal R&D

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
out of curiosity i asked them if they had hard data to see how much the thermal exhaust gains on a prelude h22a..

here's the reply:
"I don't have any hard numbers on the Prelude systems. Our systems normally see a gain of 7 - 10%."

i hate those kinds of answers hahah

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I can only tell you about the 5th gen. I also have a '96 Civic CX Hatch and it has a Stealth on it-but that was special ordered (option). If the 4th gen uses a large diameter tip I would think that Thermal could do "Stealth" for it. Call them and see what they say.

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited April 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc836:
I can only tell you about the 5th gen. I also have a '96 Civic CX Hatch and it has a Stealth on it-but that was special ordered (option). If the 4th gen uses a large diameter tip I would think that Thermal could do "Stealth" for it. Call them and see what they say. OH--with the "stealth cone" on the Civic-it is truly quieter than the Classic that we originally put on.

</font>

·
Registered
666 Posts
where did you guys get your thermal exhausts? how much also im really interested.

------------------
98 FBP Prelude SS
AEM Intake
Eibach Pro-kit
Koni Yellows
Neuspeed Strut Bar
32 Tint all around

·
Registered
666 Posts
do you have a 4th gen ? cos it only lists the exhausts for 4th gen?

------------------
98 FBP Prelude SS
AEM Intake
Eibach Pro-kit
Koni Yellows
Neuspeed Strut Bar
32 Tint all around

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sk515:
where did you guys get your thermal exhausts? how much also im really interested.

</font>
I got mine from manchester honda it was $498 + $22 S&H

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
I have the 5th gen and I got it for $480 shipped. Just call them and say you want the Stealth system for the 5th gen.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Jkoc:
I am sure your one is a stealth coz I have heard a classic one a civic...they are real loud...The EVO is consider as a quite exhaust so it is not supprising that your one sound as loud as mine...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snoopy_cool:
Jkoc:
I am sure your one is a stealth coz I have heard a classic one a civic...they are real loud...The EVO is consider as a quite exhaust so it is not supprising that your one sound as loud as mine...
</font>
yeah its a stealth... i was in conversation with thermal today.... if mine is a stealth then holy SMOKES the classic version must be a MEGADEATH bomb

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
yeah its a stealth... i was in conversation with thermal today.... if mine is a stealth then holy SMOKES the classic version must be a MEGADEATH bomb</font>
You really find the exhaust to be that loud? I'm pretty picky and didn't find it that bad at all. For the first few weeks either it was louder or I got used to it but now it's not bad at all, especially in the upper RPM's compared to stock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts