Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
hoop 4 life.
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully with your help, I hope to make a thread worthy of being stickied or even archived .

F&N seems to get a kabillion "i'm just starting" threads, and it'd be nice to have a great reference point for beginners to check out first.

My contribution:
I'll start off by saying that nothing in this world comes free. If you want to look the way you've always dreamed about looking you have to put in the time and effort necessary.

There are two types of beginners in the world. People who want to lose weight, and people who want to gain weight.

Keys to losing weight:
Lift weights to pack on some muscle to jumpstart metabolism.
Manage diet effectively by cutting out fats and in some cases carbs, and lowering caloric intake.
Cardiovascular exercise.
Commitment. Dedicaton.

Keys to gaining weight:
Lift big to get big!
Jack up your caloric intake.

Diet:
My philosophy is to eat as healthy as possible. Cut out "bad carbs", fatty foods, grease etc. Fast food? try subway instead. Soda/pop? drink milk/juice/water instead. Deep fried? try boiled/poached/baked etc. Try hard to get a "square meal", cover all the bases on every single one of your meals. Meat, Dairy, Grains, Veggies. take a look at the food pyramid, are you getting your necessary servings? sure it's easy to eat enough meat, and grains, but what about veggies? If you're looking to lose weight, you'd be amazed at what you can do by keeping the portions the same, but varying what you're putting into your stomach. Bruce Lee viewed his body like a racecar. Do you want to put in high octane fuel? or some low octane crap? If you're trying to get big, check out various posts from some of the guys here, it seems liek they spend 100 bux a day on groceries. they eat big. lift big. and they GET big.

Cardio
I advocate cardio for everyone. it almost seems as if everyone here only does cardio when they're cutting. sure it's conducive to your goals. i.e. jacking up caloric expenditure. but cardio has tons of other health benefits as well. better circulation, more efficient breathing, lowered blood pressure, lower disease risk etc. when you look at time commitment required for a GOOD cardio program, it's basically 20 minutes 3 times a week. that's 1 hour out of a possible 168 hours in a week. cardio doesn't just have to mean a treadmill. sure you can use the machines at the gym, elliptical, rowing, bikes, stairmasters etc. but those can get boring quick. btw watch your form when you're reading stuff on cardio machines. it tends to suffer as you squint to read. cardio can be a whole multitude of things, from just going for walks around the neighbourhood. got a dog? walk it!. spouse? go for walks on the beach etc. like sports? play them! there's pickup games to be had everywhere, intramurals etc. cardio CAN be fun.

lifting:
for beginners, I don't recommend designing a huge inflated program at the start. you gotta take baby steps before you can run. number one thing you should do is get acquainted with weights. be it machines or free weights. you'll find that F&N wholely advocates free weights, and spits on machines. so go over to your gym one day and just check things out. intimidated? hell yeah, most people are when they first lift. but the thing to remember is that a) you're here to better yourself. **** everyone else. b) everyone started where you were c) most people could give a **** about you as long as your'e not using their bench .
look into hiring a personal trainer for an hour to help get you acquainted with exercises, watch your form etc. you don't have to do this, but it's a good way to ease yourself into the gym.

for alot of people. time is an issue. try to hit the gym at least 3 times a week, lunch hour, at night etc. you can do fullbody workout and 20 mins of cardio in under 2 hours if you work efficiently. 6 hours out of 168 spent in the gym and you'll look fabulous. pretty good marginal benefit.

starting out, aim for 1-3 sets of 8-12 repetitions per exercise.
hit the big muscle groups first before the smaller ones.
i.e.
pecs before shoulders/tris
back before biceps

start with one exercise per muscle group and add on more as you go along. the first few weeks are spent with your muscles re-establishing muscle memory/paths. so you'll see gains fast.
a good way to find out how much you should lift is, find your one-rep max for an exercise and then use 3/4 of your rep max.

this is an outline of exercises i would do.

chest: dumbbell bench press/barbell bench press
triceps: overhead extensions/skullcrushers
deltoids: lateral raises
trapezius: shoulder shrugs
biceps: barbell curl
back: one arm rows/lat pull down
legs: squats/leg press
abs: crunches

note: these are just good introductory exercises. make sure your form is 100% or you're just cheating yourself. www.exrx.net is a goldmine for exercise information.

eh. that's all i feel like writing for now. feel free to add your contributions etc.

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
wooo nice^... thinkin about starting to work out again... I'm starting to feel a little unhealthy with just my work, school, and eating fast food routines >_<

what are the reasons for hitting the bigger muscle groups first before the smaller ones?

·
retired
7,431 Posts
SNsLude said:
what are the reasons for hitting the bigger muscle groups first before the smaller ones?

the smaller muscles will get hit indirectly WHILE working the larger muscles. like when doing chest, your tris will get hit a good amount. so do chest first, then tris after. if you do tris first, you wont be able to work as hard/effectively for chest since your tris will be too fatigued.

·
hoop 4 life.
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ i love you. if i was in cali, i would workout with you.

·
hoop 4 life.
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SADWAP97 said:
;)

you're probably stronger than me right now though, i've been cutting :cry:
cutting sucks... look at the bigger picture. be lean and mean.

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
SADWAP97 said:
the smaller muscles will get hit indirectly WHILE working the larger muscles. like when doing chest, your tris will get hit a good amount. so do chest first, then tris after. if you do tris first, you wont be able to work as hard/effectively for chest since your tris will be too fatigued.
ah, gravy... thanks.

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
hm just tried a quick search... anywho, what are some good forearm exercises. I used to do these things where you hold a dumbell with palm facing up, grasp it, and you roll your wrist up and down... are those good to do for forearm?

another thing, does your wrist get bigger with forearm exercises? my wrist is pretty skinny and would like to work on that too... but not sure if theres really an exercise for the wrist except just fattening it up.

·
hoop 4 life.
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SNsLude said:
hm just tried a quick search... anywho, what are some good forearm exercises. I used to do these things where you hold a dumbell with palm facing up, grasp it, and you roll your wrist up and down... are those good to do for forearm?

another thing, does your wrist get bigger with forearm exercises? my wrist is pretty skinny and would like to work on that too... but not sure if theres really an exercise for the wrist except just fattening it up.
heavy weight. deadlifts with no straps. you can work them directly but i never noticed a size gain in mine till i worked my back real heavy.

·
jon still has my hrt RIP
1,199 Posts
d3adp said:
^ i love you. if i was in cali, i would workout with you.

For some reason, this made me chuckle. :hien:

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
Wow... finished workin out about an hour ago... and I must say I totally forgot what this burning/sore feeling felt like... I love it. It's been about 8-9 months since I last worked out and damn, I got really pushed back on what I could handle and man I'm quite out of shape... but it was to be expected hehe.

Thanks for the quick tips/outline d3adp. Back then I used to mix up my routine IE, bench, curl, back, bicep, tris, deltoids, abs etc etc not knowing/thinking about the "hitting the bigger muscle groups first".

Also, that "formula" about knowing what weight to work with (the 3/4 of your RM)... does that go for ALL exercises; ie deadlifts, curls etc etc

and to go back really quick about my forearm exercise question/post a few posts up ^... so is doing what I mentioned for the forearms an okay exercise for it? Or is that bad for the wrist?

·
hoop 4 life.
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
forearm answer - yes. get a good squeeze on them. they should feel like they are on fire when you finish.

·
jon still has my hrt RIP
1,199 Posts
Also, there are varying opinions on this, but when you're lifting you want to do it in three counts, contract in 1 and open again with 2 counts. For example, if you're doing bicep curls, curl up quickly but slowly lower your arm again.

Does that make sense? I suck at teh explaining.

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
hmmm speaking of which ^... the rule is to breathe out when you lift right? ie, when you bring the curl up, that's when you breath out right?

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
Hmmm I see. thanks ^..

also, on that site d3adp linked aboved, theres a section about overtraining: http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Overtraining.html ... I'm still sore from my last work out, obviously since I haven't worked out in a while... does soreness indicate my muscles are still trying to recuperate? So should I wait to work out again until the soreness is gone? It's been a 2 days since I last worked out.

·
USAF
1,519 Posts
I try for 1-2 days rest before I workout again, and then it's still a completely different set of muscles groups. I really only target a specific group once or twice a week. If you feel sore right after a workout then you did more harm than good, but if you feel sore the next day or two days later then you're growing bigger muscles!

If you are working specific muscle groups go ahead and hit the gym again, just work the muscles that aren't sore. I've had soreness last for about 5 days, but that's because I was working it too hard. Try not to overdo it!

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
oh hehe yah, soreness didn't come till the day after I finished workin out... I know not to over do it... So soreness does indicate muscles still trying to recuperate right? I try to do everything at once... kinda like in the small outline he listed in the first post. So I should wait till soreness is completely gone till i hit the workouts again right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Going off of the first post....it's good to work muscle groups together on the same day. Now, I know some people that go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week for 2 hours and work everything....I'm not an advocate of this method. I like to alternate muscle groups. I would rather spend a quality 45 minutes per day and focus on groups b/c you really target on the muscle and you allow the opposing muscle group to rest and get stretched out on its "off" day. The goal of lifting to burn fat and build muscle is to get your heartrate up (just like with cardio is to reach VO2 max), so, I recommend alternating upper and lower body lifts during the "resting" phase b/c you won't be stagnant. Always drink water while lifting...it helps in muscle regeneration, dehydration, and will eliminate soreness....along with stretching inbetween each set. Take the 10 seconds and stretch. You will increase flexibility, strength, and decrease your chances of getting hurt. Breathing.....exhale with energy exertion...make it a steady outlet of air release. I also recommend simple protein shakes after lifting...as the muscles absorb most nutrients after working out to help in the regeneration process. And piggybacking off of what notorious said....if you ever feel something hurt....stop. Pain is only gain when you desire to gain immobility and injury. Good posts everyone.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts