Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, but I didn’t think of submitting any write-ups while I was transplanting the mirrors so the photos don’t cover the whole process. Well, nobody would feel like removing the whole thing when it’s done and working, would he?:) So, if you are thinking of doing this mod yourself, you will have to use your imagination a bit. I’m also not sure about my technical vocabulary, which can be another annoyance… Here we go; this is how the mod looks on my ride. (pic.1-4)

RobRac_photo/The EDM Accord side mirrors on a Prelude - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Basically, you must be aware of the fact that it’s not much of a ‘plug and play’ replacement, as all Honda models after 2003 use the mirrors which are pretty different from the way they used to look before. Honda likes its mirrors to be slightly different even between various versions of the same models, but previously the differences were small enough to enable some people to use the same bases with different mirror bodies after minor modifications. It’s no longer the case.

It’d be really convenient if you made all the necessary arrangements before removing the original mirrors. As for the tools and materials, you should prepare some screwdrivers, a small hammer, a sharp metal file, a metal saw, a 5mm plug tap, a drilling machine with 4 and 6mm metal drills, three 5mm stainless screws, some thin wire and Honda connectors, some insulating tape, black silicone sealant, a glue gun, a piece /about 1’2”/ of black rubber weather strip and … some unpredictable.

You should start with preparing the new mirrors. On no account should you have them painted!:nono: I don’t know if EDM Accord is available in the States, but even if it is imported, I guess the mirrors can be pretty expensive, so be careful because everything you’re going to do marks the point of no return.

While looking at the prelude and accord mirrors, the base triangles seem quite similar, but while the prelude ones are the true triangles, those from an accord are slightly curved at the upper edge.(pic.5)
That’s what you have to take as it comes as not much can be done about it, at least except for serious ‘plastic surgery’ which I wasn’t into.

First remove the soft rubber coat, which makes the whole device waterproof. You’ll notice that the inside metal alloy base is bigger than the prelude’s nest. You’ll have to make it thinner in its upper part and what’s more, cut off the upper screw holding. The alloy looks like aluminum plus something, but it’s quite hard and slippery when sawed or filed.

To do all of these, you should have already accessed the original mirror’s nest, which can be done without removing the door panel /it will be a must though a bit later when you want to connect your side mirror indicators/. The accord connectors are bigger and don’t go through the hole in the door easily. You can cut them off, as you won’t need them any more. I guess it’ll be much easier to get new original male connectors /in case you want to keep or sell your old mirrors/ and use the original female connectors instead of buying the accord ones. You’ll need four more little connectors /male and female/ to connect the indicators /the original ones don’t have enough room for that/. I got mine from a wrecked civic.
(pic.6)
Of course, you might just as well use a piece of tape to do the wiring, but I liked it done properly.

Now you are able to do all the necessary adjustments /the real hardcore of it all/ using a saw, a file etc. to make the base thinner, I mostly did it by machinery. Don’t worry about the screws now, just make it fit. You will need to file the upper plastic frame which the soft coat is originally fixed to. It will rest on and not under the door edge and the rubber coat will go beneath the frame, so it also needs to be trimmed a bit.
(pic.7)
It doesn’t go in the way at all, still, you may spray it black, if you want to make it invisible.

When it’s done, it’s time to fix the mirror. Take a closer look at the base and find the room for the new third screw holding to replace the one you had cut off before. Find the point in the upper part of the base where it’s at its thickest /it’s actually marked by circular knots formed in the alloy of the base/ and drill a 4mm opening. Then use a 5mm plug tap on it. Make sure all the three holdings fit the prelude’s nest /the nest, not the original holes/.

Put the rubber coat back. Drive the original screws into the holdings /new holes in the coat are needed/ and dip their tops in the sealant. There should be just tiny drops on their tops. Press the mirror into the nest. Make it with steady but firm movement. The sealant drops will mark the points where new holes in the nest should be drilled. If you’re positive about their location use a hammer and a nail to mark the ultimate spots. It will prevent the drill /6mm one to allow the screws go through easily, still, it may be a good idea to use a somewhat smaller one first for more accuracy/ from sliding and damaging your precious varnish.

After you have been through with the holes, exchange the original screws /they may turn out to be too short now/ for the new ones. They should be of stainless steel. I used the ones with the heads instead of original male thread rods as I found them easier to operate not having to deal with nuts.

At last you can ‘apply’ your new mirrors. Do not fix them firmly yet – you’re still trying them on. An unpleasant surprise appears!:eek: The upper vertex of the mirror’s triangle is still sticking out /about 1 cm or so, but check it carefully!/ even if you did your best while making the inside base thinner! It’s because the prelude and the accord triangle surfaces differ. I’m terribly sorry, but you have to remove the mirrors once again. You will need to slightly bend the triangles to make them stick to the nest. The only thing you can do is to disconnect the plastic triangle, warm the plastic up and shape it. Carefully! Having done this, you may strengthen the new shape of the vertex using the hot glue stick.

Put everything together. One more fitting. Now you can see that the triangle do not stick to the rubber listing of the nest. That’s where you need a piece of a rubber strip. I used a window lining with some lamellas and it fits great.(pic.8)

Check everything one more time. Have your mirrors painted now. Install them. At this stage you may use a small plastic bag with some silicone sealant in to fill the superfluous space between the base and the nest /,but it's not necessary/. It will adapt to the shape perfectly and get stiff. Apply some sealant on the drilled holes as well; you don’t want them to get rusty. Drive the screws.

Now it’s time to do the wiring. Unfortunately, the wire colors do not correspond, so you will have to experiment before fixing the connectors. Let the indicators wires go as the last ones. To do them you need four additional, small connectors and you have to remove the door panel. It’s not so difficult, but still the pain in the ass; however, after you’ve constructed the mirrors it seems a piece of cake, really.

I led the indicators wiring from the fender bulbs /I’m gonna remove them for good and replace them with some custom air intakes/, but as far as I can remember the ADM preludes do not have the indicators there – I’m afraid you’ll have to lead the wiring from the front bumper or from under the dash /I’m not sure about it:shrug:/. If you decide to lead it from the bumper nests, the biggest problem you’ll encounter will be that you are supposed to pull the wire through the rubber wire shelter, the joint between the door and the fender. (pic.9)
To do it properly and efficiently, I would strongly recommend to unhang the door. It may seem a serious experience but it really saves a lot of time and effort. To say the truth, it would be reasonable to do it at the very beginning, but not everyone can afford to spend two days in the garage or not use the car.

That would be more or less the whole thing, but I might have forgotten something so stay alert! This write-up refers to the EDM Accord mirrors, but might as well apply to all the mirrors you’d think of, as long as they fit the Prelude’s door outline. Good luck!:fob:

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,081 Posts
That's a very cool mod. I have thought about side mirrors with indicators for out cars, but never seen anyone try it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's another of those things on my "to do" list. Which is a long list.

Can't wait to see what they look like in person mate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Feel free to comment on my English, I realise it may sound artificial, especially, when it comes to describe technical things... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
how about actually being grateful there's a freaking right up instead of *****ing about aesthetics.

sure do feel greateful about that nice and well detailed write-up....but i ain't feeling grateful toward "the big boss" upstairs for making me affected by myopia. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts