Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a Targa top has been talked about from time to time on the 'Lude and is pretty much thrown out because it throws the chassis out of wack.

But what about custom building T-Tops into the 'Lude? You could still have a center beam up top to have extra rigidity and get what you were looking for.

And obviously this would be an expensive venture, you don't need to tell me about that. :malken: I just want to know, from a structurally sound standpoint, is it feasible and would it affect performance enough to be a problem?

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
I'm sure that it'd be a little stronger than a targa....but I'm no expert in the design/structure of a car ;) I think that there would have to be a lot of planning involved in preparing it and to make sure that it would actually work....unless the shop just does it w/o thinkin of the result :rolleyes:

the way I see it, if it was originally made that way, or had another model prelude that was targa, then it'd be a simple job....but since it's never been done, it might be more damaging to the car than you'd think

·
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly why if I actually do this at some point in time, I'd plan it out waaay ahead of the time and try and get some professional insight interms of chassis durability, flex, etc.

You know it'd be hot though. ;)

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
For a show car it would be no problem, especially one that lives on a trailer.

For a daily driver though, be absolutely sure you get lots of input from professionals becuase you will be upsetting the handling of the chassis and who knows what would happen in the middle of a tight switchback at 60mph

Grover

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
here is the top pic but bigger (if imagestation is working right)

I thought it would be a cool idea to do something like this. The bottom picture ctprelude has looks better but it is too small to see.

·
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen the second one before, but thats just a photochop I believe. The pic above is cool (car is kinda ugly) because I've never actually seen a functional targa top on the 'Lude. You could probably cruise around in that or show it, but nothing serious.

·
...under an umbrella
1,489 Posts
He is right. Look at the mirrors, the triangle windows in the doors, doors and the curviture of the nose where the grill is.

·
Registered
777 Posts
there used to be a 4th generation prelude on hondaprelude.com that was a complete convertable, sure it was prolly heavy but i think it would have been cool to rock for a little. I think a T top would definately be possible, but then again, isn't everything with the right amount of money$$

·
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THATS RIGHT... holy cow. I forgot the gold one was a Del Sol. I knew I'd seen that picture before.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts