Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am trying to decide if I should switch to Mobile 1 10W-30 Synthetic oil. I have always used the Conventional 5W-30, as suggested by the manual.
Does anyone have any input or experience with a switch, and if so what results did you get?
I have heard that you should switch from 5W-30 to 10W-30 in the summer for better protection. Is this a myth or a good idea?
Also my car has just over 159k miles on it. Is it a good idea to start using high mileage oil or should I stick with regular?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Why 10w-30? Stick to 5w-30 even when going to synthetic. I haven't had good experiences with Mobil1 and will never use it again. I have had good results with Amsoil and will stick with them. I also had good results with Valvoline Syn. Make sure to get a good filter. I use Amsoil EaO and NAPA Gold filters.

After you switch, just watch for any leaks that might have sprung up. If you've kept up with maintenance, you shouldn't notice any.

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
^I'm curious to know what bad experiences you've had with M1.

Many people use it and it works just fine for me. Many blackstone analysis backs up its claim.

Sure it's not the best oil out there but it's really good for the money and availability.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use Valvoline pure synthetic and have no problems with it. Well, people say that you should put a thinner oil in the summer time and a thicker one when it's cold. Ehh..I just stick to the book just to be for certain.

·
Registered
279 Posts
^I'm curious to know what bad experiences you've had with M1.

Many people use it and it works just fine for me. Many blackstone analysis backs up its claim.

Sure it's not the best oil out there but it's really good for the money and availability.
Yeah, M1 was all I used for many years. From the very first use, I noticed that at 3k miles, I’d burn about ½ - 1 quart of oil. I figured that it was the car (I had an ITR). I also had it in other cars, including an S2000, Integra LS, Civic, etc. All had the same results. I noticed that the oil is very thin. I tried out Castrol 0w-30 and had almost no oil loss at 3k. Amsoil 5w-30—the same result. Secondly, the UOA’s did not come back that great. Same case with my friends who also used M1. It wasn’t anything detrimental, but still the results were poorer than Amsoil’s. Couple that with the speculations of it being a Group III synthetic? That was it for me.

Again, it’s all been my personal experience. I’m sure your engine will not blow if you use it, but for the money, I’d rather get Amsoil. The price comes out to be about the same with the discounts the Amsoil agents usually get me (10-20%).

·
RACECAR
2,883 Posts
The only problem with switching over to synthetic on a high mileage car is you may start to get oil leaks from the worn out seals. Keep that in mind. Personally, I'd stick with conventional or high mileage 5w-30 if I had 159K miles on my Prelude.:)

·
Banned
57 Posts
just stick to conventional ones.. well if you are getting problems with the old one then its up to you..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts