Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Stage 3 cam buy post I saw that someone mentioned that Crower doesn't recommend synthetic oil in its FAQ. Here's the entry... anyone care to comment?

"Crower does not recommend the use of synthetic motor oils in any racing applications, particularly hydraulic and flat tappet camshafts. The minimum gains in horsepower are offset by the excessive wear to cam and lifter surfaces. If your manual suggests running synthetic oil, then do so. We have found, however, that the benefits do not outweigh the costs."

------------------

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
That's a new one on me, but I think I know where they're coming from. Synthetic oil advertises more miles between changes. In a race application, it's revs, not miles that put the wear on.

Maybe they don't recommend synthetic because they want the oil changed more frequently, not because there's anything wrong with the protection synthetic would offer in the short term.

------------------
This is a special week...

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spite:
From the Stage 3 cam buy post I saw that someone mentioned that Crower doesn't recommend synthetic oil in its FAQ. Here's the entry... anyone care to comment?

"Crower does not recommend the use of synthetic motor oils in any racing applications, particularly hydraulic and flat tappet camshafts. The minimum gains in horsepower are offset by the excessive wear to cam and lifter surfaces. If your manual suggests running synthetic oil, then do so. We have found, however, that the benefits do not outweigh the costs."

</font>
You should ask them why they don't recommend synthetics, and see if they have any data to back up those claims.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way ahead of you buddy. I sent the email as soon as I checked the FAQ. I'll keep you guys posted.

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts