Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, guys. I'd like your advice, please.

I haven't looked in a while, but I'm sure my Honda Prelude manual says "don't use synthetic oil" - it's about a page or two after "your new spanky car is a thirsty bugger and will only drink the fine wine, not the low octane stuff".

I know lots of you have switched to synthetic after a while. I have 20,000 kms on my car (that's something-or-other miles), so I have a few questions.

• is it "too late" in everyone's opiniion to switch to synthetic?
  • what are the advantages of synthetic oil, anyway?
  • why does Honda not recommend synthetics (I always assumed they were for high performance engines like ours, motorbikes, etc.)?
  • same weight synthetic? What are you running, I drop in 5W30 (or whatever) as it says on the engine.
  • does it make that much of a difference when I oil change every 5000kms (2500-2800 miles)?
  • I normally go through a litre (quart) of oil or so between oil changes. Will this stop with a synthetic?

Thanks for the help, guys... I do feel kind of stupid for not knowing all this myself...

------------------
Martin Moran
Stock 2000 Prelude SH
Sebring Silver Metallic
"When you're caffineated, all is right with the world..."

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ommoran:
Ok, guys. I'd like your advice, please.

I haven't looked in a while, but I'm sure my Honda Prelude manual says "don't use synthetic oil" - it's about a page or two after "your new spanky car is a thirsty bugger and will only drink the fine wine, not the low octane stuff".

I know lots of you have switched to synthetic after a while. I have 20,000 kms on my car (that's something-or-other miles), so I have a few questions.

• is it "too late" in everyone's opiniion to switch to synthetic?
  • what are the advantages of synthetic oil, anyway?
  • why does Honda not recommend synthetics (I always assumed they were for high performance engines like ours, motorbikes, etc.)?
  • same weight synthetic? What are you running, I drop in 5W30 (or whatever) as it says on the engine.
  • does it make that much of a difference when I oil change every 5000kms (2500-2800 miles)?
  • I normally go through a litre (quart) of oil or so between oil changes. Will this stop with a synthetic?

Thanks for the help, guys... I do feel kind of stupid for not knowing all this myself...

</font>
20,000 kms... that would be 14,400 miles right?
anyway,
  1. , i don't think it's too late. a little late, but not too late.
  2. search for it, it has been discussed extensively. in fact, it was a very good discussion about motor oil.
  3. cuz honda techs are a bunch of retards! j/k. i have no idea on this one.
  4. yes, 5W-30 is perfect.
  5. yes, cuz if you already burn a liter between changes, do you really wanna put in 2 extra liters everytime? besides, synthetic or crude, the oil gets very dirty (discoloration) very quick.
  6. no... or at least in my expenrience. [/list=a]

------------------
    AIM: ImagePree

**scratch here, ding there. Sigh...**
    OG H-A Member
    Who else wants these Jammies???

[This message has been edited by imagepree (edited April 29, 2001).]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, but why is it too late? What's the ideal point to do this?

And, the biggest question is, what's the advantage?

------------------
Martin Moran
Stock 2000 Prelude SH
Sebring Silver Metallic

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
According to the manual, it says:
"You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for conventional motor oil: energy conserving, a service classification of SJ, and the proper weight as shown on the chart. When using synthetic oil, you must follow the oil and filter change intervals given in the maintenance schedule."

Oh, and I don't think it is too late to switch. I official switched over at 20 000kms since I doubt the dealer switched over for me at 10 000kms, never trust dealer and your oil, bastards will cheap out on you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lude2k:
According to the manual, it says:

Oh, and I don't think it is too late to switch. I official switched over at 20 000kms since I doubt the dealer switched over for me at 10 000kms, never trust dealer and your oil, bastards will cheap out on you.
</font>
Cool, thanks. The advantage is?

And hey, where in AB are you?

------------------
Martin Moran
Stock 2000 Prelude SH
Sebring Silver Metallic

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I am not sure on the total list of advantages but synthetic less likely to break down under extreme temps and it sticks to engine parts more for better lubrication on dry start ups. Correct me if I am wrong guys. Oh, I am down in cowtown

------------------

Pearl White
00'SS

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lude2k:
I am not sure on the total list of advantages but synthetic less likely to break down under extreme temps and it sticks to engine parts more for better lubrication on dry start ups. Correct me if I am wrong guys. Oh, I am down in cowtown

</font>

Cool, thanks. A-FAQ'ing I will go, a-FAQ'ing I will go.....

------------------
Martin Moran
Stock 2000 Prelude SH
Sebring Silver Metallic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts