Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which would give me better handling if i were to get one or the other? i'm pretty much stock. lets assume that wheel gap is NOT a factor so don't bring up "oh but u'll still have wheel gap if u get sways" :malken:

also i remember searching other threads and reading about sways. something would come up about how putting in a front sway bar would jus re-introduce under steer :confused: so if i were to get sways, should i get both or jus the rear?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so then getting the shocks and springs would offer better handling then getting the sways? i should say that eventually i'll be getting both, but if sways were to give me better handling by themselves then shocks and springs would by themselves, then i would get the sways first since they would be cheaper. i jus wanna be able to get the best bang for buck handling right now

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
Sigh...you really could get all of this from searching.

First off, are you still on stock tires? If not go pick up some S03s. Suspension modification will quickly bring out the limits of your stock RE92s, perhaps even to the point of threatening safety. If you can afford some 17" rims, this will also provide a more solid platform for you modifications (reduce roll over, reduce side-wall, widen contact patch, reduce unsprung weight).

Coilovers/Shocks
These are probably the most logical first mod. They will already take care of a lot of your body roll, and because you are doing it right (with shocks, koni yellows or teins please) you will be very satisfied with the results. Beyond the reduction in body roll, the lateral grip and transitional handling and the overall "feel" of the car will be greatly improved. Depending on the setup, there shouldn't be too much of an impact on the over/understeer balance of the car.

Sway Bars
Don't listen to ludatic :p, he has his bars confused. I don't have a set of SWAY yet, but these are next on my list (After Teins and Strut bars and Tires, which are already done). From the research I have done, sway bars have a much larger influence than springs/shocks on the steering balance of the car. A rear bar is said to make the car more willing to oversteer, but for street applications I am planning on purchasing a set of both front/rear bars to maintain some understeer for an inexperienced driver like myself and simply reduce the roll of the car and further improve the transitional handling.

Transitional handling refers to the manner in which the car behaves between right/left turns.

Lateral grip refers to how long a car can hang on in a turn.

Oversteer/Understeer refers to which end of the car will loose traction first, and how the balance of the car feels before traction runs out.

I would do suspension in this order:
1. Wheels/Tires
2. Springs/Struts/Strut Bracing (at same time)
3. Sway Bars
4. Lower tie bars, cornerweighting (if you have coilovers), camber kits (if you need them)

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
You still have it wrong. He asked about sway bars, not strut bars.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Jon "I'm going to get Teins when I get enough money but I spend it all on my girlfriend" Lea.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
A big rear sway bar makes a huge difference on the overall handling of the car. Obrigado, you definitely need to pick one up with your mods. The Neuspeed is a bit pricey, but I love it. You can get a ST bar for a lot less and install it yourself with no problems. Shocks and springs require you to go to a shop and pay $$$ unless you have a spring compressor and a buddy to help you.

I say get a rear sway bar now and keep saving up for coilovers, not just shocks and springs. You'll notice a difference with the sway bar for sure, but you also need some good tires to exploit it.

Just get the rear bar if you want neutral to oversteering in your handling. If you also get the front, you will reintroduce understeer.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i'm riding on falken azenis and i jus wanted to weigh out the differences in handling between the 2 since it's gonna be like $800-$900 or so for koni/GC or tein HA(if they can stilll be found) vs like $200-$300 for sways

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
You would definitely notice a difference with a Neuspeed rear swaybar, I promise. I don't know how good the others are, but the Neuspeed is great. It's also a pretty easy install that can be done in a couple of hours with basic metric sockets. I like working on my car and this was a fun install. Do youself a favor and get collars to keep the swaybar from moving around.

If you went with Tein HAs, the difference would be night and day over stock. They are super stiff, however. Many daily drivers prefer SS to HA. It doesn't really matter which one you get done first. It depends on how much you have to spend now.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I would say to get the sway bars first. they get rid of the flighty feeling that your car has. Not sure what I mean by flighty next time your getting off the highway at some quick but not really fast speed pop the car in neutral and take the turn or just push in the clutch... that is flighty. the soft sort of twitchy random nervous thing. I got the progress rear bar and it really helped with that. Wheels also made a HUGE dif. as well. That will improve your grip you just stick to the road better.

I did all of my mods to the chassis first: My thoughts being get the chassis in shape then do the other stuff

The order I did my mods in:

1 front strut /neuspeed
2 4 point roll cage /Autopower
3 rear upper and lower strut /Tanabe , skunk
4 rear sway /Progress
5 Wheels and tires /SSR, Kumho MX

Still on stock shocks and springs waiting for the new stuff now that HA's are gone

Though my order was for the chassis first.

I would bet that on most roads I can hang with anyone. Throw in a bumpy surface and I might be better.

If you want bang=$ get the sways then wheels
after that shock springs stuff
all the strut bars are small stuff as far as what they really give in return. I did them first because I wanted the stiffest platform to hang everthing else off of. What good are great tires if the chassis is a noodle.

My .02

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
T-Bohn said:
your getting off the highway at some quick but not really fast speed pop the car in neutral and take the turn or just push in the clutch...
That's NOT the proper way of taking turns (especially if you have a bigger rear swaybar). :nono: If the rear comes around fast, you won't be able to "catch the rear" if you're in neutral.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts