Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys i was wondering if its Okay to keep swapping back and forth between "summer" suspension setup (kybagx + h&r springs) and "winter" setup (stock shox/springs)?

will it mess up the springs in any way? screwing up the spring rates or something?

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
No, but it will greatly simplify things if you buy another set of perches and hardware so you're swapping out a complete damper assembly and not having to tear it apart each time.

I'd also suggest you use a torque wrench each time and replace all the mounting hardware (bolts & nuts) every 2 seasons. Much more than that and you'll likely fatigue the hardware to the breaking point.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont plan on doing this work myself. i dont have the tools, garage, nor skills to do any mechanical work.

thats the thing.. is it worth doing this every year?? i mean, i have to swap to winter tires every year anyway, so would it be not too much more labour cost to swap the suspension setup at the same time?

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
If you swap the entire damper assemblies it should be no more than 2 hours labor... more than just swapping tires, but not terribly so. Honestly, I've never driven the lude in snow so I can't tell you. You have to decide the difference in performance and if it's worth it to you. Just be sure that every 2 years you replace that hardware, you don't need it failing on you.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess the only reason why i want to consider this is because if my car is lowered, it's going to be tough driving in the winter with all the snow we get -- the body kit would be plowing snow and getting wrecked over the winter..

i couldnt care less about performance in the winter hehe.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I agree with the other posts that you need to invest in all of the mounting parts and keep the stock assemblies as supplied by Honda. That is the way I did mine-all new one time and a simple swap out. Even the bumpstops got replaced. As to the bolts-that is also an excellent idea as they are designed for very few on-off cycles before they become stressed. The Torque Wrench is something you should be using on alloy wheels anyway-so use it for this as well. Also keep in mind that you should make sure that the alignment is OK with each swap. It has a tendency to change.

Also

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
if you have done it more than once, it should only take you about 10-15 minutes for each corner of your car.

I also recommend (like marcucci said) getting new bolts and washers; after a few uninstalls and then installs of my strut assemblies, my bolts got a little worn.

G

·
I was considering this too except not for winter and summer, but for when I'm at home and when I'm not at home. I was just gonna install/reinstall everything each time I left home for school, but I decided to get some tein's instead. Even with the tein's, it's a pain in the ass to raise and lower the car. Takes some time. In your case, it'd probably be about 70 bucks for each install and reinstall. Is that money you have on hand?

------------------

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkoc:
i guess the only reason why i want to consider this is because if my car is lowered, it's going to be tough driving in the winter with all the snow we get -- the body kit would be plowing snow and getting wrecked over the winter..

i couldnt care less about performance in the winter hehe.
</font>
Given that, then, I'd recommend a coil-over kit. You can then raise and lower your ride height in about 1/2 hr yourself by jakcing it up and raising or lowering the collar. If you can change a tire, you can raise or lower your car.

Higher initial cost but should make life cheaper for you in the long run.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
interesting. thanks marcucci.

i guess the next obvious question would be, which coilover setup do you recommend for our gen5 preludes? (correct me if i'm wrong, but coil-overs are complete shock-spring solutions right?)

i recall brands like tein, tanabe, skunk2...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Given that, then, I'd recommend a coil-over kit. You can then raise and lower your ride height in about 1/2 hr yourself by jakcing it up and raising or lowering the collar. If you can change a tire, you can raise or lower your car.

Higher initial cost but should make life cheaper for you in the long run.

</font>

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
You don't necessarily need a complete, prepackaged shock/spring package. That is one route you can go however (i.e. Tien HA....please stay away from the tanabe...ask malken about his experience with them). Or you can purchase shocks and springs separately (i.e. Ground Control + Koni's have a pretty good setup). The latter will be cheaper than the Tiens.

I agree, if you're concerned with your height, this is the best way to go. Swapping out parts back and forth is just a hassle...

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
I remember there were issues regarding the perch on the KYB's (the way it was shaped and the way the threaded collar of the adj springs sat on it)...i don't know what ever happened to the person who posted the pictures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts