Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
people suck.
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my car to honda to get the 5sp ECU programmed and guess what.......you do NOT need the red key.
The service tech took my car to the back and 20 minutes later came back out with the 5sp one hooked up and ready to go. He handed me my red key back unopen still in its original package, and said they didnt need it.

I was pretty surprised and asked him why not, and he told me the tech bypassed it with the computer or something......im not sure but point is you do NOT need the red key.

·
`\ (^_^) /`
1,732 Posts
i went to DB honda when I first got my car to get a copy of the key made, they didnt need the red key either. Just the key you use and the VIN

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
when my tech. called your dealership they couldnt tell my mechanic how they could do it...mine is a fairly large facility and if they dont know how i am like wtf???

soon2bsh can you please tell me who the mech. that worked on your car was and the telephone number with area code so that i can get my mechanic (which has been a honda tech. for years) to give them a call and see what they have that he doesnt have...before i am forced to spend 200 bucks on a new immobilizer unit so i can get a red key and program my shizit to work lol thanks

·
It was a funny angle..
312 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to try and stop bye there again to see what's up next time I go visit family. The dealership that said they could do this without the red key is about 1 hour away so I don't go there often. I will stop up there again with my new ECU this time and see if they can do it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
how much did they charge to reprogram it? I went to the honda dealership and they just tell me all this bs, so if you could ask the honda tech guy exactly what he did so i can tell my honda dealership id aprreciate it. Thanks

·
people suck.
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry man, I dont even know who worked on the car, once the service tech brought it to the back i didnt see anything.

you can call them at
909-594-6632
and ask to speak to someone either in parts or service, and then have your tech speak to someone so they dont think its just some guy.

they might have used a helms though, cause while i was in the waiting area, i saw some mech. walk to the locker room and bring out a helms that looked much like the prelude one.....although i could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
thanks i looked at DR honda and realized i had heard of it before and then i searched for Diamond Bar Honda and then it popped up. i spoke with rick and he said that they have to have a newer obd machine to do this...i then called my mech. and he said that they have gotten a new machine in and that he was going to call this guy and see what the procedures were...good i hope i can save 200 bucks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
you guys should check to see if the factory immobilizer system still works on your car....sometimes that's how they bypass the system, by immobilizing the factory immobilizer system

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
soon2bsh said:
Well I took my car to honda to get the 5sp ECU programmed and guess what.......you do NOT need the red key.
The service tech took my car to the back and 20 minutes later came back out with the 5sp one hooked up and ready to go. He handed me my red key back unopen still in its original package, and said they didnt need it.

I was pretty surprised and asked him why not, and he told me the tech bypassed it with the computer or something......im not sure but point is you do NOT need the red key.
Like Shark said, I'm certain that this may be a manner of what equipment the dealer has purchased and is able to use.

I've noticed that many dealers have different equipment. For example, one Honda dealer I went to has the funky top of the line key copier. You put in your current Prelude key, you put in one of the T5 keys, and bang you have a perfect copy. Or, you put in the key code, a new T5 key, have it read a current key, and bang- you've got a key.

I go to the local dealer, and they use a punch to cut the keys (rough edges), and the some noob device to program the T5 key.

Not all dealers can afford to buy the latest and greatest.

Gerhard

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
H22ATypeS said:
you guys should check to see if the factory immobilizer system still works on your car....sometimes that's how they bypass the system, by immobilizing the factory immobilizer system
from what we gathered you can't just 'skip' the immobilier unit as if it were messed up and it would be like it wasnt there and the car wouldnt run...believe me he tried lol...also i dont know for sure but i am going to say that soon2bsh has a 1998. when my mech. called rick at DB honda he said that that was on a 98...my mech has previously said that the 97 has a slightly different immobiling system. i guess something like the obd 2 and obs 2.2 or whatever you wanna call what the 99+ got i believe lol. he did however say for me to come and give it a try with the newer machine they have...hell an hour trip is worth trying to save 200 bucks to me.

he said he was going to place my black key in and see if that would work in the car instead of using the red key to program them together. hopefully it can do like soon2bsh's did and not be a piece of **** and have to get a new immobilier w/ red key to get the damn CEL off.

ZAMEOJ: i believe you have a 1997 also. if you go to the dealership before i get mine done let me know if they can get yours fixed without the red key or buying a new unit. also

1 - 19 of 19 Posts