Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so since last year i've been doing alot of reading and studying about the different types of turbo kits and coming to a conclusion soon.

The lude is nearly payed off im thinking about either trading it or going FI if i keep it, now comes the question

Whichever rhode you took let it be SC or Turbo was it worth it for you, did you think turboing a prelude was a good idea?
would you have done it if you knew it was gonna be this hard, have you ran into so many issues you gave up?

What type of advice do you give to someone just beginning to look into getting a kit, ps if i go turbo i'll be going with a REVHARD.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well when I bought my lude I wanted a high/mid 13 sec car. That was the goal. I thought It was goign to be easy with the lude untill I bought it and started reading more. If I knew what I was getting into a few months ago, I would not have bought the car. (No problems,,, the car just isn't THAT fast. I would have gotten a C5 or a WRX most likly. Those along with the S2000 were my choices.

Since you have your lude already (and probably love it) I'd do it. It's very rewarding, and you learn alot. Although there are much easy'r ways of going fast.

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
It has been worth it to me. It has been very fun and an awesome learning experience. I know so much more about modern cars now, and I'm beginning to grasp how to tune. Relatively, it is a very, very poor investment. The money I have spent could have been put towards a down payment for a house, or something else more valuable. It has not been a hard experience for me. Advice: continue researching, make sure you fully understand what you are getting into before you purchase a single part. Also, seriously consider using a standalone, and make sure you find a tuner you can trust.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I have had my supercharger on for barely a week now and I'm already wanting to upgrade my injectors, 9psi, etc etc. Guess I'm still craving the boost from my previous car. I miss the sound of a turbo. Anyway, if you don't really want to spend a lot of time messing around with your car, I wouldn't turbocharge it. I know if I turbocharge my prelude I will be constantly upgrading even more so than with the SC.

·
`\ (^_^) /`
1,732 Posts
i spent way more money than i thought i would. if i had known it'd add up to this much, i'd at least do it to an rx7 or old nsx instead j/k. i dont really regret it, but i do warn you the money you spend adds up quickly...

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I'm with carol, it's been fun, and the car is really fast. But as carol said, I would rather have an gruppe-M NSX or a stillen 350Z.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Yeah, I spent a boat load too, I think i'm gonna get a new ride end of 2004 early 2005, I'm thinking NSX or 350Z, or 996 C4S but we'll see.

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
The reason I chose turbo over sc was the power gains I wanted. I was looking for 300 - 350 whp. That eliminated the sc right away. I am still in the process of finalizing everything but everyone is right....it's very costly. I have felt the power and after that, you can't go back. I should have the car back on Saturday all ready to go. Nothing will be needed anymore unless something breaks (hopefully not for a while) or when I want to install the 720cc injectors.

Ask yourself what end result you want to see. That should tell you which to get. Turbo will be a bit more costly since it requires couple extra parts (intercooler, ic piping, bov, wastegate, boost controller etc). And of course if there are extra parts, it's just extra that could go wrong lol. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
576 Posts
LuDeGirL1004 said:
I have had my supercharger on for barely a week now and I'm already wanting to upgrade my injectors, 9psi, etc etc. Guess I'm still craving the boost from my previous car. I miss the sound of a turbo. Anyway, if you don't really want to spend a lot of time messing around with your car, I wouldn't turbocharge it. I know if I turbocharge my prelude I will be constantly upgrading even more so than with the SC.
I totally agree with the above. I too had a turbo car and I miss the old noises that the turbo, BOV and WG made. A turbo car has way more character I guess. If you go FI, I say go turbo.

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Specialque said:
Yeah, I spent a boat load too, I think i'm gonna get a new ride end of 2004 early 2005, I'm thinking NSX or 350Z, or 996 C4S but we'll see.
Showoff :p
ok pretty much from my gathering is either get a already turbo car and go from there, or find out what i really want b4 dropping $10K into a turbo setup.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm down with Sharkcohen. It's been a long expensive learning process. Like alot of things I find knowadays, it doesn't pay to go at it half assed. It's been an invaluable experience, but in the end it's hard to justify the serious amount of money I've put into the Prelude. I bought a track only CRX that I'm dumping my money into now, and everything is 1/10th the price, and much easier to work with.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Are you going to race your car or is it going to be only used for daily use?? My car is turbo and has never been raced and probably never will be. I spent a lot of time researching turbochargers and superchargers. I went with the turbo because i feel that it has more potential. When i want power, it is there. if i do not need power, then i do not use any. With the money that i have put into this car, i could easily be driving a BMW 3-Series, but it would not be the same. My next car, however, will be an M3. good luck, and have fun.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am right with you. I am about $300.00 away from 10K right now and man is this going to hurt but I am not getting any younger and I feel that if I am going to do it then do it now. I know it will be worth it. I love my car and when I have that nasty spearco intercooler hanging off the front of my car I will look at it with pride and go kick some mustang ass!!! (at the track of course):p

If your interestred, do your research I am going with the Drag 4 kit on my car with the sleeved block etc. If your interested in the Drag 4 kit I can get them 2800.00 shipped to your door. Also, with all the research I have done I can probably give you some good suggestions on where to save some $$ at.

Take care... ; )

Jonathan Allyn
http://www.jonathanallyn.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't post much but if I had to do it all over. I would not have gone turbo especially on a prelude type sh. The project cost went way out of hand especially after I blew all four ringlands. I resleeved the block with upgraded pistons and rods. Even after that, I had more problems here and there that I eventually abandoned the project and went on with life.

My opinion would be to save yourself some hassle and grief by getting a better platform to work with.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
tough call.

the part that was most rewarding about the whole experience (getting boosted, upgrading it, blowing the motor, doing a rebuild, etc) was doing the actual work and learning about the car and engine. i know all sorts of useless crap now!!

now... if i wasn't really interested in that kind of satisfaction, i.e. if all i wanted was a high performance vehicle, it was a bad move. i bought the lude new in '00 for about 25k plus taxes and registration and all that. spent 2.5k on rims and tires, .5k on tint and stereo stuff, 1k on the oem kit, 1k on jdm fogs, gauges, exhaust, cf trim kit, etc etc etc. then 3k on the jrsc, and another grand on various half-assed fuel management solutions. then the motor went, and it was easily 6 grand before it was all back together again (including a number of upgrades, besides the bottom end the PMS, injectors, cam gears, blah blah blah.)

with taxes on the car that's a bit over 40 grand. after the mishap which took the car from me permanently (and got me a big fat check from insurance company), i got an s2k for 33 + tax. it is almost as fast as the lude was at 9psi and faster than it was at 6psi, just as nice to look at, handles vastly better and in general is a hell of a lot more fun to drive. there are a lot of other cars for 40 grand out the door (g35 coupe, 350z, mustang mach3) that you could say the same thing about.

so i guess the cliff's notes of this is, if you just want a fast, fun to drive, high performance vehicle, it's not worth it. if you want to learn all about cars, work on it yourself, and have actually achieved something unique with your own blood sweat and tears, then GO FOR IT!

·
EEEWOK!!!!!
1,246 Posts
I think I will regret it a little less when I am actually driving the thing. If it was a daily driver, I would have considered stopping the project during my first bad experience. The only thing I regret is not having a garage or the expertise to do the majority of the work myself. I will let you know if I regret it after I get the car back. I think that is going to make a world of difference because I can actually start working on the car again and feel like something was actually done.

If I didn't already own a house and accomplished other things I wanted to in my life, I would definitely be regretting it right now. I have to admit that I look at the cash I have spent and once in a while I question my decision. Right now as it stands, I think it makes me feel better that I could afford another car that I want AND keep the prelude. That makes a difference too.

As schwett said, it's a tough call to make. I will say one more thing....if you are impatient and low on cash, don't even attempt it! :D
Good luck Andre.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i hate you guys!!! i have a 98SH, i have my revhard 2c kit and my custom 3" exhaust sitting in my room right now. I was planning on installing it all myself and getting it tuned but now you guys are scaring me worse then i already was.
Now im trying to decide whether i should get it professionally installed and tuned by a realiable shop or if i should continue as planned and do the install myself....

·
EEEWOK!!!!!
1,246 Posts
preludesh07 said:
i hate you guys!!! i have a 98SH, i have my revhard 2c kit and my custom 3" exhaust sitting in my room right now. I was planning on installing it all myself and getting it tuned but now you guys are scaring me worse then i already was.
Now im trying to decide whether i should get it professionally installed and tuned by a realiable shop or if i should continue as planned and do the install myself....
Just a couple of questions. How familiar are you with installing a turbo kit and doing the tuning? Is this your daily driver?

I had mine professionally tuned and it got screwed up. Unless you have the experience and the tools, I would recommend getting it done somewhere. Unless of course you are using this as a "learning experience".

·
Registered
576 Posts
install it yourself! thake it easy, double and tripple check everything, then take it too a shop for some tuning if your new to that. The install part is relitivly simple.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts