Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to cover more real estate with my home wifi and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions. I like the Google home wifi as the units are small, reviews are great and it seems simple enough to add more nodes if needed. The downside is the lack of ehternet ports, one on the main device and two on each of the nodes. On my media setup I like everything hardwired where i can, I have my TV, BD player, Receiver, Fire Cube, WD TV, MyCloud, PS3, and Switch all hardwired right now and prefer to keep them that way although I know it's not necessary. It's all in the same location and where my FIOS feed comes into the living room.

The other option is the Netgear Orbi, also great reviews and more ports (still not enough but I could put my BD player, receiver, and WDTV on wifi as they don't need live connections most of the time.

What I could do though is get a small switch for the Google Wifi which will give me all the ports I need.

So anyone have some input here?

·
B cuz I got it like that.
2,834 Posts
I dont get your question... if everything is running off of one hub... and everything can see everything's ip address then it is mesh. I think its just a case of patch cording in another hub for more room to grow.

Regarding wifi range... they make ones that plug into your electric socket.. and another to the hub.. you can just plug the one part that goes in the electric socket anywhere in your house and it will find it via the electric system. Netgear makes cheap ones.. most people forget to setup security on this.

(I dont think you gave us enough info.)

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
I have the Linksys Velop mesh system. Only two nodes, but I did see that with over 11 devices on it, I get some dropout, latency, and general bottlenecks. I would recommend getting a system with a wider dedicated backhaul. Not just a single band or channel, but enough to stream multiple devices, and carry double (or more) your local network traffic.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont get your question... if everything is running off of one hub... and everything can see everything's ip address then it is mesh. I think its just a case of patch cording in another hub for more room to grow.

Regarding wifi range... they make ones that plug into your electric socket.. and another to the hub.. you can just plug the one part that goes in the electric socket anywhere in your house and it will find it via the electric system. Netgear makes cheap ones.. most people forget to setup security on this.

(I dont think you gave us enough info.)
I dont think you understand the difference between a mesh network and using extenders.

·
you can do EEEEET!
2,394 Posts
Why mesh? I’ve use Ubiquiti APs for years and I switch from one AP to another seamlessly.

I have 2 in my home currently and everything works great. Mesh works great when your base unit is actually centralized in the home (mine are not)

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
My brother bought the mesh Google one. Has three in his house (1.5 acres so covering separate garage). He says it's better than his old router ap setup. For my house... One ac1900 router along with one poweline adapter for 4k streaming to downstairs TV has been sufficient. But honestly I would love a po explanation on mesh routers. My house is small so don't need coverage as much as probably bandwidth per device.

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Mesh-vs-Access-Point/m-p/2347619/highlight/true#M296285

From the ubiquity forums.
In a simplified case (assuming you don't have beyond 3 levels):
Mesh uses a wireless 'backhaul' instead of network cable from Wi-Fi to router.
That's a pro for simpler installation, but can be a con for load going back to the main router (throughput limited). Another con would be inability (or less ability so far) to setup VLANs, which are virtual LAN (selected devices on one VLAN, other devices on another, for smart cameras, Alexa, etc walled away from your home data server).

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
My brother bought the mesh Google one. Has three in his house (1.5 acres so covering separate garage). He says it's better than his old router ap setup. For my house... One ac1900 router along with one poweline adapter for 4k streaming to downstairs TV has been sufficient. But honestly I would love a po explanation on mesh routers. My house is small so don't need coverage as much as probably bandwidth per device.
I'm using two of Google's OnHub routers (the Asus versions) for my mesh. One sits in the basement (acts as the main), the other in my front room. pter gave a good enough explanation about mesh. My house is a ranch and a little over 2k sq ft, so I felt two routers should be sufficient. With Spectrum's internet service, I'm getting 111Mbps as of this moment, which is a little above their claims of speed. ATT has been putting down cables for their gigabit service in my neighborhood, so will likely switch over when it's ready to go.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Just converted to an Amplifi HD mesh setup by Ubiquiti from a Netgear router and extender. Love it so far! It was frustrating to set up because it wouldn't recognize the internet connection, but when I removed the 4 hardwired LAN connections from the Amplifi router, it connected instantly. Not sure what caused that, but it's been working like a champ since then.

https://www.amazon.com/AmpliFi-Ubiquiti-Seamless-Wireless-Extenders/dp/B01L9O08PW

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just converted to an Amplifi HD mesh setup by Ubiquiti from a Netgear router and extender. Love it so far! It was frustrating to set up because it wouldn't recognize the internet connection, but when I removed the 4 hardwired LAN connections from the Amplifi router, it connected instantly. Not sure what caused that, but it's been working like a champ since then.

https://www.amazon.com/AmpliFi-Ubiquiti-Seamless-Wireless-Extenders/dp/B01L9O08PW
That's what I went with and it's been flawless so far, the user interface is slick and simple too.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As an update to this, Ubiquiti is SH!T!!

I bought their Amplifi MeshHD kit, one router and two mesh points. The router failed one night about two months in to owning the kit and after a half dozen back and forths they finally agreed to give me an RMA. Very specific in their terms for shipping and it set me back about $18 to send the device back to them. From sending it until return was just about a month, they sent it back using the slowest service possible. When it finally comes back and I try and set it up the mesh points cant be seen. Again after trying all their recommends troubleshooting steps I come to find out that the kits are hard-coded and cant be linked to this replacement router. So now I need to RMA both the mesh-points AND pay to ship these back to them to swap out with ones that arent hard coded. Extremely aggravating but only made worse by the fact that I'm on my 3rd attempt of them actually sending me the RMA to get them on their way back.

I couldn't imagine in any way that I'd ever recommend one of their products again, total trash in servicing their products.

·
you can do EEEEET!
2,394 Posts
I've actually heard their RMA process stinks and takes too long. Can't have your wifi down for that long.

To say that, I've never actually had any issues with their AP's and I'm planning on getting their camera setup.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Sorry to hear that man - my Amplifi MeshHD has worked pretty good, but the range of the satellites is not what they claim. I have to put them fairly close together to keep signal strength high.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've just upgraded the Wifi in our new place to Mesh as well.

I went for the Netgear Orbi.

They units aren't as pretty as the Amplifi but they'll be hidden anyway. So far, we're very happy, we have full coverage over the house, it's completely seamless and I'll probably add a 4th satellite to the setup once I start the garage renovation next year.

One of the plus points with the satellites is the ethernet ports on them. Our TV provider has a ****ty old box that needs to be hardwired to the point the internet arrives in the house..... our first floor bedroom. POE was an option I used but in the satellite it's perfect. I've also got the NAS double cabled in a remote unit too.

·
3,007 Posts
Keith = late to the party...

We have been using Google Home for a couple years and recently implemented it in my in-laws' house. We both have long ranches homes that need the coverage since we rely on good + strong WiFi with our AppleTV units, cameras, security, etc. I've been pretty happy with it... can't say I would want anything more since I like to keep things simple. I thought I would have wanted to have some devices hard wired but honestly, I rather take the "less wires, the better" approach... however, I understand that might not be applicable to everyone.

Keith

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
^^^Who are you again? :p

I'm still using Google's OnHub routers, but since my post earlier, moved the one OnHub mesh from the front room to the living room. Because of the layout of our ranch, and noticing some spottiness lately, thinking of adding a 3rd OnHub, or one of the Google Wifi pucks to put it at the far/opposite end of the house.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts