Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
B cuz I got it like that.
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes.. its apart of the electrical system...

but do I really have to disconnect my car battery?

'cause reprogramming my car alarm system.. stero... etc is a pain in the @ss.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
No, I never do. I'm sure there's some chance the coil lead could give a shock but it's never happened to me so I don't know.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
It is mainly a safety precaution. Alot of products tell you to disconnect the negative terminal so you can't sue them for hurting yourself. 12 volts won't kill ya, but there is a ****load more than 12v stored up in the coil.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
I didn't disconnect it but it doesn't hurt. And most alarms remember all the settings even with the power off (at least mine does).

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
if you have to program your stereo again then I wouldn't unplug the neg. terminal. just watch out when you are around the coil, it can zap you pretty good. Just say no to 40,000 volts :eek:

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
so what precautions do you guys take to prevent a nice little jolt?

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
dont touch the body of the car specifically, which is where the ground is, youll have a potential difference of 40,000 volts across your body :eek: I would say unplugging the terminals is a better trade off than serious injury

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
PreludePowerR said:
dont touch the body of the car specifically, which is where the ground is, youll have a potential difference of 40,000 volts across your body :eek: I would say unplugging the terminals is a better trade off than serious injury
There isn't much amperage through there. I've been hit a few times by coils and it knocks you on your ass, but you can get back up. As long as you are cautious and don't ground yourself you are safe. Just a little electricity 101 there.

·
B cuz I got it like that.
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JakeTheSlayer said:

it knocks you on your ass, but you can get back up.
:eek: My neighbors are so damn nosy.... this would not be good.
"check it out honey, that kid across the street is high on crank working on his 'lude. Look at him flopping around like a fish...Call the cops!!"

Thanks all... I guess I will avoid being the ground. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
759 Posts
The ignition coil does NOT store any energy when the car is switched off -- it won't shock you.

·
Retired, sorta
4,968 Posts
bleh i'd just diconnect the battery anyway...

is taking ur time to re-enter the codes worth the risk of getting shocked? =-P

(assuming it does store a charge even if the car's off)

·
Registered
759 Posts
The ignition coil is inductive, not capacitive -- once there is no more current being put into it, the magnetic field collapses and there is no more energy in the coil. I promise. :p (An inductor can only store energy while there is electrical current flowing through it.)

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
looks like we dont have to unplug the neg terminal anymore

1 - 15 of 15 Posts