Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a shot in the dark but what the hell. I'm a Cingular customer using a Motorola MPx smart phone with Windows Mobile on it. I'd like to log into my server remotely via the web browser but I can't authenticate because the IP of the phone keeps changing. It seems like every time I connect to the web I get a new IP address. Is this a function of Cingular, my phone, all phones, all providers? I'm wondering if anyone else takes notice to this type of thing. Or...if you use the web a lot on your phone hows the performance? Is anyone getting broadband like speeds via Cingular or Verizon? My boss is willing to spend whatever it will take to make this work. So if its a new phone, or provider it doesn't matter. I'm open for all suggestions. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
its the phone... the moto phones are pretty crappy when it comes to static IP's.

my friend is using a pdf phone that has a static IP option.

·
www.desispeed.com
722 Posts
cingular is actually rolling out a new service(HSDPA) to compete with verizon's EVDO service. Just wait till that gets rolled out which should be very soon and some new handsets come out which support it, it will be faster than whatever Verizon has.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
i have to admit... EDGE is pretty competitive with verizon broadband. GRPS blows verizon out of the water, but its not avail. throughout most of the US.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
yeah... but for right now they're as good as it'll get

i feel bad for all the poeple who bought 3G phones and can't use them in the US to their potential yet :jape:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
98VTEC said:
So I could get a Verizon phone with an option for a static IP? Any suggestions? It has to be a smart phone. What type of access plans does Verizon offer?
just change phones... stay with cingular.

either way, check out www.howardforums.com and find out about phones and plans and other stuff.

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucke said:
just change phones... stay with cingular.

either way, check out www.howardforums.com and find out about phones and plans and other stuff.
I know moto my not be the best but I really love my MPx. I'd rather keep this for my personal use and get another one with a different carrier. I'm having a hard time finding a phone that cingular offers thats similar in features and size to the Mpx.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=479

Oh well...at least I know its possible. Thats really all that counts.

·
www.desispeed.com
722 Posts
this might be a nice alternate http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=800 , tmobile has 2 nice smartphones comin soon the SDA and MDA which run on WM5. I'm going to be getting the MDA model next month which even comes with built in wifi. You could always get one of these unlocked to use on the Cingular service.

Size wise though nothing compares to the MPX but I have heard a ton of bad stuff about bugs on those phones.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Lucke said:
i have to admit... EDGE is pretty competitive with verizon broadband. GRPS blows verizon out of the water, but its not avail. throughout most of the US.

Please check your sources. Here are the comparisons for speed rates:

GPRS - typical throughput 20-30 kbps
EDGE - typical throughput 100-130 kbps
UMTS - typical throughput 200-320 kbps
HSDPA - estimated typical throughput 400-700 kbps

CDMA 1XRTT - typical throughput 60-80 kbps
CDMA EVDO - typical throughput 400-700 kbps

GPRS and EDGE have been out for a couple of years in the USA. Cingular has started to quietly launched UMTS in select cities to provide a better broadband experience last year. They are also testing HSDPA in a few cities as well. Verizon has launched EVDO for the past couple of years, and Sprint has started to launch a few cities with their EVDO network. Currently, GSM /GPRS /EDGE cannot provide what EVDO has to offer.

desispeed said:
its funny by this time next year EDGE and GPRS are gonna be considered totally obsolete as far as 3G services go.

Lol. That technology was considered obsolete early last year.

·
Banned
72 Posts
98VTEC said:
I know this is a shot in the dark but what the hell. I'm a Cingular customer using a Motorola MPx smart phone with Windows Mobile on it. I'd like to log into my server remotely via the web browser but I can't authenticate because the IP of the phone keeps changing. It seems like every time I connect to the web I get a new IP address. Is this a function of Cingular, my phone, all phones, all providers? I'm wondering if anyone else takes notice to this type of thing. Or...if you use the web a lot on your phone hows the performance? Is anyone getting broadband like speeds via Cingular or Verizon? My boss is willing to spend whatever it will take to make this work. So if its a new phone, or provider it doesn't matter. I'm open for all suggestions. Thanks!!

Check with GoToMyPC from Citrix. The new version 5.0 is compatible with Pocket PC and might be better than the remote terminal that comes with Windows Mobile 5. The speeds that you will experience with that phone is only limited to GSM ( roughly 14.4 kbps ). Check with the Treo 700w on Verizon since it uses EVDO and has the Windows Mobile 5 platform. I don't think you can get a static IP with a PDA, though.

·
www.desispeed.com
722 Posts
ksig113 said:
Lol. That technology was considered obsolete early last year.

oh yeah its definetly obsolete tech wise but from a corporate user perspective it won't get phased out just yet because of all of the new hardware upgrades needed I see it lasting another year in the marketplace.

Your HSDPA rates are just the introductary speeds, its capable of far more than that but Cingular is doing a slow rollout and cappin the speeds for the time being. Eventually its gonna explode

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
98VTEC said:
I know moto my not be the best but I really love my MPx. I'd rather keep this for my personal use and get another one with a different carrier. I'm having a hard time finding a phone that cingular offers thats similar in features and size to the Mpx.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=479

Oh well...at least I know its possible. Thats really all that counts.
maybe the new moto Q, will be able to do that, i wonder if my Ipaq is static or not

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
yes, but most ppl cant seem to justisy paying that price for just the internet service on their phone. >_< isnt it like 59.99 for just hte internet. i like the internet, but that is a lil too much. i mean i barely able to see myself paying 30 dollars a month with t-mobile, but it is unlimited, and i got my PDA for super cheap since my buddy hook it up. i end up paying the cost of hte PDA with the service payment :)

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
desispeed said:
^^^moto Q might be cancelled for North America and only come in a CDMA flavor at best
booo i was really looking at the Moto Q as my next phone to take over my PDA grr

1 - 20 of 21 Posts