Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going out of town for two months as some of you may know..

(Garage will be used by my brother to work on his bimmer so i can not park in the garage)

I am planning to put it on my driveway with a full car cover on it, leaving only 20psi of air in my tires, and removing the battery with the emergency brake up.

can i harm my car in anyway for sitting like this for two months?

i have H&r race with stock shocks and stock kit with rs sides on... plus catback exhaust/cai/pulleys etc..

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
You should be fine. Two months isn't really that long so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just start it up and let it idle a while when you get back to let oil pump through the engine before it gets revved up any.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JoeW said:
You should be fine. Two months isn't really that long so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just start it up and let it idle a while when you get back to let oil pump through the engine before it gets revved up any.
hay joe what do u think of the dropping it down to 20 psi?

do u think it will make any difference?

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I doubt 2 months will hurt the tires, but dropping the pressure a little definitely won't do them any harm since the car won't be moving. I think the main reason people lower the tire pressures is when they are going to be stored somewhere off the car (no load) for a longer period of time to prevent dry-rot.

I'm no tire guru, but if it gives you peace of mind, dropping the pressure a little might help prolong the life of your tires :)

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
you might want to get that stuff that people put in their gas tanks so the gas doesnt go bad,and leave a box of baking soda inside the car

·
Registered
500 Posts
hustler904 said:
you might want to get that stuff that people put in their gas tanks so the gas doesnt go bad,and leave a box of baking soda inside the car
fill up the tank. I remember reading that somewhere.

·
Registered
584 Posts
trulegend said:

hay joe what do u think of the dropping it down to 20 psi?

do u think it will make any difference?
Personally, Id just leave the tires pressures where ever they are now. Im pretty sure some cars sit on dealer lots for more than 2 months w/o moving, and it doesnt hurt them. I dont see it making a difference. My other reasoning for not lowering them is drastic temperature changes and or slow leaks in the tire or valve stem core. You live in N.C. so I dont think drastic temp changes are a concern (that, and its going to get warmer very soon), but if you have a leaky tire or a loose/old core in your valve stems, your tires could be flat when you get back, which wouldnt be too good for them either.

Re: Filling up the tank. The reasoning behind that is to keep the inside of the gas tank from rusting. If its not full, the exposed areas in the tank could begin to rust due to moisture in the tank. If its full, that shouldnt happen. I dont know if this is one of those things that was true for older fuel tanks, or any car with a metal tank, but it couldnt hurt to do it.

The stuff hustler904 was talking about is Fuel Stabilizer. Its supposed to keep varnish and gum deposits from forming in the fuel system (tank, lines, etc.) over long periods of time. I wasnt sure how long it takes before this happens, so I looked it up... According to STA-BIL, who makes fuel stabilizer, after 60 days fuel can begin to "deteriorate" if it doesnt have any anti-oxidants already in it, so you might want to look into putting some in before your trip.

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
Defenetly put the backing soda inside the car.... this will help elliminate moisture and stail odor.

I would also invest into a good quality car cover...that lets the air pass through so the car can breath.

If you happen to have 4 jack stands... why dont u use them to jack the car up ...that way you'll have no worries about getting flat spots on the tires.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SK Honda 7 said:
Defenetly put the backing soda inside the car.... this will help elliminate moisture and stail odor.

I would also invest into a good quality car cover...that lets the air pass through so the car can breath.

If you happen to have 4 jack stands... why dont u use them to jack the car up ...that way you'll have no worries about getting flat spots on the tires.

if i jack the car up, wouldn't the axle like hang thus causing it to sag and maybe damage it:confused:

also where and what it the fuel stabilizer can i get from?

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
trulegend said:

if i jack the car up, wouldn't the axle like hang thus causing it to sag and maybe damage it:confused:

also where and what it the fuel stabilizer can i get from?
no its not going to cause damage. if anything it will prevent it. think about i..u taking load of the tires and the springs and shocks. the car just hangs there.
this is what you do for long storage....plus less chances of bugs and other crap crawling inside.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Why do you want to drop the pressure in the tires? All it will do is promote flat spots. You want to pump them up to around 40 psi so they stay round. I'd actually run the fuel tank until it's almost empty and then buy a gas can and put that in to get you to the gas station. But 2 months is nothing. I'd just pump up the tires and pull the battery out and be done with it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i think it says in teh manual someone to keep the ebrake down and put one of those blocks at the wheel to keep from rolling...ur supposta fill teh tank up with gas n all that good stuff too....if u keep the car stored for a long period of time

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,891 Posts
Actuallyu do want to have the gas tanjk completely full. it eliminates teh tank from having moisture in it other than gas. Water is not a very friendly thing for your motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts