Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
www.ntpog.org
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how does that work? is the ride smooth? I was gonna get Koni's but its too expensive, for now, i was gonna get the coilovers first and then later get the konis.

So hows the ride with stock shocks and then coilovers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Its not going to be fun if you lower the car much below stock. I had some problems with the car bouncing when going more than 2" below stock. It definitely depends a lot on the spring rate and the condition of your stock shocks. Mine had 900 miles on them when I put skunkworks coilovers on. They damped the high spring rate skunks decently but at 15K right now I'm pretty sure they're blown so konis are one of my next upgrades. Just save up enough to get Konis. It will save you installation time and money.

------------------
'99 Milano Red Prelude 5spd (In Atlanta)

'90 Accord EX 4 door (In Ithaca w/ me)

AP-Signworks.com
ABSOLUTE POWER

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
what would be a good spring rate to go with if you wanted to keep your stock shocks for awhile?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Not only the spring rate but how low you want to go.

I dropped my car a bit more like 2 months ago and my front stock shocks blew that same night. I am riding on blown struts and it isn't fun. Saving money for some Koni's right now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just slapped on the Ground Controls with 400/300 spring rates matched w/Koni Yellows and the ride is unbelievably hype!!

I stick to the road w/no bounce. Get em, get em, get em....good luck. Much better than stock lowered.

·
Registered
211 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by prelude2005:
how does that work? is the ride smooth? I was gonna get Koni's but its too expensive, for now, i was gonna get the coilovers first and then later get the konis.

So hows the ride with stock shocks and then coilovers.
</font>
My ride with stock shocks and Skunk2 coilovers was running fine for about a year so far...no problems yet...runs fairly smooth.

------------------
//935 Wiked Draggers
San Diego, CA
http://www.935draggers.com

G

·
i was going to go with the eibach springs.</font>
Again, it depends on the spring rates. What spring rates where you thinking of using?

Stock is somewhere around 180 lb/in front and 150 lb/in progressive in the rear. (don't quote me on those numbers, though)

I wouldn't go much over 250 lb/in front and 200 lb/in rear. Even then, your ride quality will suffer.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
www.ntpog.org
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just talked to a performence store around here about coilovers and stock shocks, they say they can blow in about 3-4 months even with a drop of 1.5"

You guys think ill be ok with the stock shocks until i save up money for some koni yellows?

71dsp: The springs are the eibach sportline, i dont know the numbers for them.

·
www.ntpog.org
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
Not only the spring rate but how low you want to go.

I dropped my car a bit more like 2 months ago and my front stock shocks blew that same night. I am riding on blown struts and it isn't fun. Saving money for some Koni's right now.
</font>

how much did you have it, before you lowered it some more? and how much did you lower it again?

G

·
You guys think ill be ok with the stock shocks until i save up money for some koni yellows?

</font>
Probably not. The dampers will probably go pretty fast.

Sportlines are not coilovers, so I don't know exactly what you are talking about with coilovers.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
i just talked to a performence store around here about coilovers and stock shocks, they say they can blow in about 3-4 months even with a drop of 1.5"

</font>

i'm don't think Eibach makes Coilovers, either that or i just forgot that they did.
i do know that Ground Control uses Eibach springs, is that what your talking about?

how much do plan on spending for a complete suspension package? an average price for a sleeve-type coilover package would be about $1000 ($330 Ground Control + $670 Koni Yellows)
or a threaded body coilover kit like TEIN, Progress or Tanabe $1300-$1900

of course im not known for my excellent buying skills, you can prolly find all this stuf for a lot cheaper if you look around more.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
(Base 5 sp)
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

·
1,652 Posts
Ground Control Coilovers with eibach springs?)</font>
yes thats right, GC uses Eibach Springs check it out here on their site http://www.ground-control.com/ click on HONDA and scroll down 3/4 of the page.

what are dampers? (sorry for my ignorence)
</font>
i believe damper is just another name for shocks and struts.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
(Base 5 sp)
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

[This message has been edited by BlueShadow (edited April 13, 2001).]

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
I say save the headache and get some springs. Like 1.5 all around. I've had springs with stock shocks for the last 3 years and it still rides close to stock.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
1,652 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by checkmate58:
I say save the headache and get some springs. Like 1.5 all around. I've had springs with stock shocks for the last 3 years and it still rides close to stock.

--Sam

</font>
that does bring up a good point, do you plan on adjusting a lot? for me its not a prob. just jack up the corner to adjust, loosen allen socket that clamps collar, raise or lower as desired, tighten collars, lower car.

main reason i bought CO is cause its hard to tell if my rims and tires will rub or not. so when i get them put i will adjust the CO until there is no rubbing whatsoever. but for cruising nights/photoshoots i can drop it all the way.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
(Base 5 sp)
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts