Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went and bought some Type S pistons, so when I get them in Ill let everyone know if the valve to piston clearance will work out, I just wanted high compression at a not so high price

·
0 Posts
How much did you pay for them?

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Are you still using the H23a cylinder head? I don't believe the Type S pistons will work with the H23a rods.

If memory serves me right, the H22A uses a shorter stroke, with the piston taking up the rest of the cylinder space.

And the H23a uses a longer stroke with short pistons to net that extra 0.1 liter of displacement.

So swapping both pistons, I don't think the Type S pistons will work in an H23a block with the 2.3 rods and crank? Now if you swap all the internal components, that might work since both blocks have the same cylinder bore.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
If memory serves me right, the H22A uses a shorter stroke, with the piston taking up the rest of the cylinder space.

[/B]</font>
haha, from the Iron chefs

jp

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I paid 250 for a set of 4, like I said though its a trial and error thing, if it doesnt work Ill be selling them, Im just trying to get high compression with out having to resleeve or bore my block out

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Prelude_RCR:
Are you still using the H23a cylinder head? I don't believe the Type S pistons will work with the H23a rods.

And the H23a uses a longer stroke with short pistons to net that extra 0.1 liter of displacement.

So swapping both pistons, I don't think the Type S pistons will work in an H23a block with the 2.3 rods and crank? Now if you swap all the internal components, that might work since both blocks have the same cylinder bore.
</font>
The H23 rods are shorter to accomodate the longer stroke. I don't know about the piston differences, but the rods are shorter. Just compare the to measurements at TDC, and see if the wrist pins are at the same height at TDC, that will tell you where the pin sits. Then if the distance from the pin to the top of the piston is the same on the 5Gen and 4Gen pistons, then you're good to go.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gotryce:
I paid 250 for a set of 4, like I said though its a trial and error thing, if it doesnt work Ill be selling them, Im just trying to get high compression with out having to resleeve or bore my block out</font>
Yeah, that's not too bad. I saw some go on EBay for $500+!! I couldn't believe it, especially since they run about $45 each in Japan.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought them brand spanking new for that price, I hope everything works out especially since I have JG 1001 cams, Ill make sure there is enough clearance and Ill let everyone know that is interested if it works, I will have a whole web page devoted to Project Prelude 71DSP i was think exactly what you said about the rod size Im pretty sure after all the articles I read that this will work out in the long run Later

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well bad news the machine/engine shop called and said that the clearance is so little that the tiniest bit of valve float at any rpm will bend the hell out of my valves, and he doesnt reccommened me to leave them in there, so o well with the high compression with low cost, so they are for sale 250 firm,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts