Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version:

My car stalls when my RPM's drop. Not everytime but a lot. In addition it is only when the car is warm. The car will shutterwhen coming to a stop and sometimes, as i am slowing with the clutch in, the car will die as well.

Long version:
I had a CEL that was pointing to the cat. I picked up a magnaflow direct bolt on cat and had it installed by meineke. I picked the car up and a .25 mile up the road got a new cel. The first o2 sensor. In addition it was riding like crap. when i came to a stop, theRPM's would comedown to the point that the engine would shutter and then recover. It got worse as the car warmed up andbegan to stall. I replaced it and am still having the same issue.

What could be wrong? Could it be the cat???? The issues started when i picked it up after having it installed. The only performance part i have is an AEM cold air intake.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
So the primary O2 threw a CEL?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the primary O2 threw a CEL?
The primary O2 sensor threw a code. Here is the series of events:

CEL light
found it wasthe cat
Took to shop to replace cat
picked up from shop, 1/4 mile down the road, hesitated badly and threw another CEL
Took it home and ran it - O2 sensor
bought an O2 sensor
installed it
battery died ( which would reset the ECU)
drove it 6 miles and it died 3 times within that time and did the actions described in the OP.

Any other ideas. I am in in dire need to get this thing repaired.. could it be the cat. Does the O2 sensor in the cat affect the fuel mapping or idle? Could this be what is causing this?

I am very sorry about the delayed reply. I act like i dont need this done ASAP :( I need to get 100 miles on my ECU before jan 10th to pass emissions (1 month extension for failed emissions on Dec 10th). I guess I did not sign up for email notifications :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OHH crap.. i have the JDM engine too. Dont know it that adds anything else to the mix.

Stupid guy who did my timing belt a while ago didnt bold the crankbolt in right and long story short, it ground down my crankshaft 2 days before closing on my new house :( - so now i have the more cost effective JDM engine

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
Me too, I can't really follow the chain of events.

What was the first CEL? What was the second CEL?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i took it for another ride today (3 actually) and no issues anywhere what so ever ??? WTF?!

I guess I am not complaining but what the hell.... I had the car turn off on me like 3 times in 6 miles and then it runs like nothing ever happened. Those 6 miles were the only 6 since the ECU was reset... maybe it really did need time to create the maps or something... ehh.. it is what it is.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
We could try and help, but you haven't said what actual CELs went off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i posted both cel's i got in the first thread but all is well now. I did nothing but i guess the stalls were the ecu getting used to the new o2 sensor or something.

I dont get it but i am not complaining.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had exactly same thing.. after re soldering the main relay.. no stalls rpm just wont drop any more :) so check main relay man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts