Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on buying the ST rear sway bar soon. Was gonna guy it from the guy selling it here, but some1 beat me to it! After I found this forum, I have been starting to do everything on my car myself and wanted to do this install job myself.

Is it neccessary for me to have a torque wrench? I looked/searched thru various threads, websites (ntpog, etc) on this install. Some talk about the torque wrench, some dont.

Just wondering what u guys thought, and if it was neccessary. Thanks.

-Tony

------------------
98' Diamond White Type SH:
RS*R Down Springs, Tanabe G-Medallion Cat-Back Exhaust, Iceman Intake, Neuspeed Front Strut Bar, APEX-i VAFC, JDM Fogs, 18" RH Evos D6000, OEM Front Lip (On its way)

[This message has been edited by TcT118 (edited May 02, 2001).]

·
retired
7,431 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TcT118:
Im planning on buying the ST rear sway bar soon. Was gonna guy it from the guy selling it here, but some1 beat me to it!
-Tony

</font>
someone beat me to it too!

yea i think a torque wrench would be recommended.

------------------
AIM: SADWAP97
My Car

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well i did not use a torque wrench, and my **** is fine. What i did do was change the stock nuts to locking nuts!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recommend eh? Cuz if i was to use a torque wrench, it would cost around $40ish + $60 for the Helms, torque specs.

I know every1 recommends getting the Helms, and i was about to. But im a poor college student, and i figured i can spend that money elsewhere, ie. carbon fiber dash kit.

Plus with all the threads and helpful ppl on this forum, u kinda dont really need the Helms, for basic work atleast, but only for torque specs. Well thats how i see it.

-Tony

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
they don't give you hardware to replace your nuts? I thought they would, aren't your stock nuts smaller?

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Buy a Helm.
Buy a torque wrench.
Or at least borrow them.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pter:
they don't give you hardware to replace your nuts? I thought they would, aren't your stock nuts smaller?
</font>
and you wonder why you aren't a mod?
sure, you have almost 2k posts...hahaha, but what % of them were ones like this, Pter!
hehehe, j/k man!

------------------
My Homepage
My Car on HondaPrelude.com

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
Just bringing some spicy humor into the bland world

c'mon... the way they were posting, who could resist? o0OO0o would have done the same, were he not a mod

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I did the rear install myself and did not use a torque wrench either, because suspension (at least this portion of the suspension) isn't as demanding as engine parts when it comes to torqued bolts.

Just get a good socket wrench, an extension to get to the bolts, a universal socket adaptor (for one of the mounting bracket bolts--right below the fuel tank), and that's about it--no more than 45 min.

Oh and dont be frustrated if you're having trouble taking the old one out or putting the new one in if the stock exhaust is in the way...just keep trying and eventually you'll get it.

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Going to replace the springs w/ a set of GC's

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Call me paranoid

A torque wrench should be in everyones tool box if for no other use than the lug nuts on your alloy wheels!

The Helm Manual is a must no matter how poor you are. It has everything you could ask for in the way of information (usually) about our precious Preludes.

You can buy a torque wrench on Ebay for $16.99 plus shipping-it isn't the best one, but it is accurate enough for general use (lug nuts and simple hardware). ANY suspension part is important and as far as I'm concerned-every bolt and nut must be properly torqued.
BTW: there are fasteners used by Honda that are designed to "stretch." These have to be torqued or you run the risk of failure.

That's how I see it.

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited May 02, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc836:
Call me paranoid

A torque wrench should be in everyones tool box if for no other use than the lug nuts on your alloy wheels!

The Helm Manual is a must no matter how poor you are. It has everything you could ask for in the way of information (usually) about our precious Preludes.

You can buy a torque wrench on Ebay for $16.99 plus shipping-it isn't the best one, but it is accurate enough for general use (lug nuts and simple hardware). ANY suspension part is important and as far as I'm concerned-every bolt and nut must be properly torqued.
BTW: there are fasteners used by Honda that are designed to "stretch." These have to be torqued or you run the risk of failure.

That's how I see it.

</font>
I don't disagree with you at all--that's why I have a torque wrench. But for 80% of the time, going without a torque wrench will still accomplish the goal effectively.
This ISN'T to suggest that EVERY bolt can be tightened by hand...not at all (so don't come flaming away, i realize the consequences of over- and undertightening a crucial nut). But most of the time, a good hand-tightening (at least when i do it) usually comes within 4 or 5 pounds of the manufacturer's rated torque recommendation.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think we are on the same wavelenght - Iranman.

Where in Tampa area are you. I got a place in LOL

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc836:
I think we are on the same wavelenght - Iranman.

Where in Tampa area are you. I got a place in LOL

</font>
Personally, i thought we were both tuned to the same "frequency," but its all the same

Currently i'm living with my parents in carrollwood...im gonna use some cash and get an apartment by usf. Where the f*ck is LOL?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iranman:
Where the f*ck is LOL?</font>

anyway, ST rear sway bar is on backorder.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by badmuthrfkr:
I'd be taking her to a nice italian restaurant because italian food is my favorite so even if the date goes sour, at least I got to eat something I love.</font>

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
LOL=Land O'Lakes Iranman enjoy the digs when you get em

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
o0OO0o - Yea, i know its on backorder. I heard its cuz ST production is slow. Think summit racing only has 1 wk backorder while NOPI has more. Thanks for the link, but thats the guy that me and SADWAP97 were trying to buy it from, but was too late and he sold it already. He also had it on sale here.

Thanks for all your opinions guys, definitely i will get a torque wrench and a helm manual later on.

-Tony

------------------
98' Diamond White Type SH:
RS*R Down Springs, Tanabe G-Medallion Cat-Back Exhaust, Iceman Intake, Neuspeed Front Strut Bar, APEX-i VAFC, JDM Fogs, 18" RH Evos D6000, OEM Front Lip (On its way)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
the torque wrench is maybe the most used tool in my box. i dont want to under/over tighten, and with a torque wrench there is no worries. i got mine for liek 20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TcT118:
Thanks for the link, but thats the guy that me and SADWAP97 were trying to buy it from, but was too late and he sold it already. He also had it on sale here.
</font>

So you were the dude that cost me an extra $5!!!!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:anyway, ST rear sway bar is on backorder. </font>
Neener neener neeener

G

·
Do you guys not realize that a torque wrench not only makes sure that you tighten a bolt/nut enough, but it makes sure that you don't OVERTIGHTEN a bolt/nut?

Those bolts that hold the sway bar brackets onto the car are only 6mm or 8mm bolts. You can't just tighten them as far as they will go. You will either strip the bolt or break the bolt. I made this mistake when I thought that I could torque the bolt to a few ft*lbs more than spec. Nope, broke the bolt in two (I was installing a Neuspeed rear sway bar at the time).

Also, we tried using a 10-75 ft*lb torque wrench to tighten the valve cover nuts (spec is 8.7 ft*lbs). Stripped two of the studs.

After screwing with this a few times, I now have 3 torque wrenches: 25-250 in*lbs, 10-75 ft*lbs, 25-250 ft*lbs.

Sorry, but no matter how poor you are, you will be even poorer if you have to go back and fix your **** ups later on down the road.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 20 of 31 Posts