Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have these wheels? Id like to hear some opinions if you do. I saw them on Tire Rack and im hooked. Im not sure how they will look on a EBP Prelude, but they are so light, I can look past that. (function over form) Tire Rack sells them in Anthracite, but on SSR's website they also come in white, which I know would look good. Hell to clean, but it would look really good. Im still trying to find the offset info, the web site isnt in English, I may have to call Tire Rack directly unless someone here knows. Thanks in advance.

------------------
2001 Prelude Base
Electron Blue Pearl
No mods yet.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You can get an idea from tirerack's little interactive wheel locator - the one where it shows the picture of a car and you select which wheel and they show up on the car. The "Crystal Blue" color apparently was made up, for some reason tirerack doesn't have EBP. Either way, you can put the competition's on and see how they look - be warned, its only a side view though.

------------------
'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
Soon to have JRSC

·
Registered
775 Posts
the 5th gen ludes have the chassis code bb8 right? from what i can gather in their matching list, it's offered as a 42-offset 16x7 or 48-offset 17x7.5. or you can go with other sizes and offsets listed for other cars.

·
Registered
951 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WYSIWYG:
the 5th gen ludes have the chassis code bb8 right? from what i can gather in their matching list, it's offered as a 42-offset 16x7 or 48-offset 17x7.5. or you can go with other sizes and offsets listed for other cars.</font>
Here's what you have to understand though... The grey color with the machined lip is made exclusively for Tire Rack. Even the sizes are specific to Tire Rack. My point is, that just because something's listed on the SSR site doesn't mean you can get it. As you probably know, the 17x8 is what they list for the prelude. They told me that's the only size they had to fit my car and wouldn't even tell me the other sizes they carried. I had a brain lapse and didn't ask them the offset while I was on the phone with 'em. I told them that I'd rather have 17x7 and they (via email) and they gave me some stupid response about how "most" people wanted wider for better performance.

Anyway, I was set to buy them when another deal fell in my lap... maybe I'll have a package when I get home. I've not seen ANYONE with these wheels yet. Here's a pic from my thread a week or so back... to give you an idea of the color.

http://honda-acura.net/forum/Forum20/HTML/008661.html

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I was also pissed about the 8 inch width, so I did searches with every other car I could think of to see what other sizes came up and found that they do have a 7.5 inch wide one. It fit on a late 90's Eclipse (anyone know offsets that fit on an Eclipse?) There is a black Miata that lives near me that has them, and I think it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
951 Posts
DSM's have a 5x114 bolt pattern like the 5th gen. Their stock offset it somewhere around +46.

It all depends on what the offset of that wheel is. They could be "pushing it" like we often do and be trying to run something like a +40 offset.

·
Registered
951 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BottleFedLude:
Anyone know if these come in 18?</font>
If you'd read the thread you'd see that Tire Rack is the absolute only place to buy these wheels. It's funny... a week or two ago when I asked for feedback on them noone really seemed to like them at all. Now, people want to buy 'em. Anyway, the only size TR says will fit the lude is 17x8 and I believe 'em.

For the benefit of those who haven't looked, these aren't exactly cheap wheels, at about $380 each. They are warm forged though and worth the money to some.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
iranman: "You can get an idea from tirerack's little interactive wheel locator - the one where it shows the picture of a car and you select which wheel and they show up on the car. The "Crystal Blue" color apparently was made up, for some reason tirerack doesn't have EBP. Either way, you can put the competition's on and see how they look - be warned, its only a side view though. "

I checked it out last night. I wish they had the EBP, or any blue, it would help. Im not sure where they found that Crystal Blue...

Baked: "Here's what you have to understand though... The grey color with the machined lip is made exclusively for Tire Rack. Even the sizes are specific to Tire Rack. My point is, that just because something's listed on the SSR site doesn't mean you can get it. As you probably know, the 17x8 is what they list for the prelude."

Now I didnt know this. So the only way to get something other than 17x8 (which I think will be too wide too) is to find a car with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, then hope it has an offset that will work. Not very encouraging, but Ill do some legwork and see what I can find. I dont doubt Tire Rack, they seem to be pretty good with what will fit on a car, (as they should be, its all they do!) but it seems that an 8 inch wheel is almost too wide for the tires ill most likely use: 205 or 215, 225 at the most.

------------------
2001 Prelude Base
Electron Blue Pearl
No mods yet.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yea, I'm a little skeptical about the 8" wheel. It must be a high offset. I hate that I didn't ask, but it doesn't concern me now...

I honestly think that if a 7" or 7.5" wheel existed that would fit the lude they'd have it listed. They *claim* to have test-fit all the wheels they say will fit. That seems kinda hard to believe, but they do a lot of business so maybe it's true. They do have some very knowledable people working for them. It'd be better if they'd pick up some more higher-end brands though.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
It's a 48 offset.

I'm really worried about the price. Those wheels are LIGHT. I mean lighter than even TE37s. To be selling for so cheap makes me think that Tirerack is getting some el-cheapo cast version which weighs like 20lbs

------------------
Quoth atlxchink:

When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
379/wheel is cheap for Competitions. I wouldn't be surprised to find them for 500/wheel =/

------------------
Quoth atlxchink:

When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Does the Mitsu Eclipse have the same bolt pattern as the 'lude?

Their version of the Competitions is 17x7.5...

------------------
Quoth atlxchink:

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
dammitalltohell!! i could have used this thread 2 months ago
if only i had known they offered those SSR Type-C's in 17x7.5 for DSM's
bastards at tirerack.com said they didn't have them in 17x7.5! i wish that they would have let me make the call on which size/offset rims my car was gonna get.

but enough about that, i think the reason tirerack has Type-C's for so cheap is cause SSR gave them exclusive rights. my local Les Schaub(sp?) could have gotten them but for damn near 500 bucks

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts