Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 lude with SS... i was wondering while driving in automatic, can you shift it into sports-shifter mode while the car is still moving?? and vice versa?

any advice would be great! =)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, you can put it into SS mode while driving. It'll simply just go to the gear that the automatic was using.

------------------
Life begins at 5,000RPM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but doesnt that messed up the computer system by switching back and forth between auto and SS mode? doesnt it mess up the computer when one minute you want to drive it auto, and the next minute you want to drive it manually??

thanks for your advice... =)

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by preludeprincess:
but doesnt that messed up the computer system by switching back and forth between auto and SS mode? doesnt it mess up the computer when one minute you want to drive it auto, and the next minute you want to drive it manually??

thanks for your advice... =)
</font>
If that was really the case I think they wouldn't design it allowing you to move it over at all. *shrugs*

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can switch back and forth but I don't recommend doing it too much. It will hurt the transmision in time. One of my friend use to do it alot with his SS and hit Tranny went out on him after like 30,000,well he also raced that thing everytime he drives it. But if you are in Auto mode and driving then someone wants to race you then pop it in SS and race them but keep it in SS til you come to a stop to switch it back to auto again. Thats what my other friend does with his SS! So....if you have to do it....but if you can wait til you are at a stop then I recommend waiting.

------------------
2000 Prelude Type SH
Premium Pearl White

MODS: AEM CAI, DC Header, Greddy PE Exhaust, Vitek Wires, AEM CamGears, AEM TruPwr Pulleys, UR Crank Pulley, Apexi V-AFC, ACT XT Clutch, DC ShortShift Adaptor, ZEX 55 Shot Nitrous

V-Spec Coilovers, DC Fr. Upper Strut Bar, CarbonFiber Hood, OEM Bodykit, 17" Nippon Racing/NittoNT555ZRs, Type S shiftknob........

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SH22A4:
You can switch back and forth but I don't recommend doing it too much. It will hurt the transmision in time. One of my friend use to do it alot with his SS and hit Tranny went out on him after like 30,000,well he also raced that thing everytime he drives it. But if you are in Auto mode and driving then someone wants to race you then pop it in SS and race them but keep it in SS til you come to a stop to switch it back to auto again. Thats what my other friend does with his SS! So....if you have to do it....but if you can wait til you are at a stop then I recommend waiting.

</font>
thats good advice.. i used to have an SS prelude and i swapped it back and forth VERY often. -- i dunno if its any correlation but -- my tranny was having problems at 13000km's already. i *do* drive hard though.

so solution -> buy a 5speed manual!

[This message has been edited by jkoc (edited April 12, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
is that your car? if so, what kind of headlights do you have?</font>
Yes it is mine. The headlights are stock though so I don't know why you'd ask me....unless you are referring to the foglights which are the JDM foglights underneath cleared out turn signals. Sometimes it's in Queens so if you see me you can get a better look.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
what manufacture is your HID headlights? where did u get it and how much for it and installation?</font>
WHOA WHOA WHOA...........When I said "Got it" I should've said "OK I understand why you asked now".........hee hee I don't have HID headlights.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
OMG!!
i thought the topic said *short-shifter*

and then i started reading the post and wondered "why is everyone talking about the SS?" puahahahahhaaahhaah i need to open my eyes.. duh

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
OMG!!

and then i started reading the post and wondered "why is everyone talking about the SS?" puahahahahhaaahhaah i need to open my eyes.. duh
</font>

hahaha...i just did that too

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
OMG!!

</font>
same here LOL

welcome preludeprincess

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
o0OO0o's got a good point.</font>

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SH22A4:
You can switch back and forth but I don't recommend doing it too much. It will hurt the transmision in time. One of my friend use to do it alot with his SS and hit Tranny went out on him after like 30,000,well he also raced that thing everytime he drives it. But if you are in Auto mode and driving then someone wants to race you then pop it in SS and race them but keep it in SS til you come to a stop to switch it back to auto again. Thats what my other friend does with his SS! So....if you have to do it....but if you can wait til you are at a stop then I recommend waiting. </font>
Can you elaborate on what happens when you throw the stick from right to left and back again that could possibly cause the transmission damage?

Since it stays in whatever gear you're already in, I don't see how throwing the stick back and forth like that could hurt anything. I don't hear any funny noises, or feel any changes.

Now if you're already in the process of driving the car hard, and you do it at high revs, I can see a potential problem, but otherwise, I don't.

Not doubting, just curious.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i was asking cuz it looked like HID headlights...</font>
how can it look like hid headlights when the headlights aren't on?hehe

1 - 20 of 35 Posts