Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay did a search came up with nothing. i got a new stock spoiler with the led. however i would like to wire into my third brake light can any one tell me what i have to move/remove to accomplish this:confused:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
i spliced mine into the passenget side brake light wires :) easiest way to do it IMO

·
ANGER IS A GIFT!
4,481 Posts
I put mine into the 3rd brake light. I just ran the wires along the trunk arm an into the cab. Behind the pillar and across the head piece. It's all covered by the interior pieces so you can't see any wiring. There is a cover on the third brake light that you have to remove. There are two 10mm bolts that hold the brake light assembly on. Remove it and you will see the wires to splice into. There isn't that much slack in the wires and it was quite the pain. If you don't reconnect the wires to the window brake light your dash light will come on saying you have a burnt bulb. It looks funny to me when there is a LED spoiler and 3 brake light. I painted my 3rd brake light flat black and you can't even see it.

I didn't put mine to the tail lights. If the wires come loose for any reason then you are out a tail light. Nobody would notice if the 3rd brake light was out.

Pretty easy to do. I would say maybe 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the oem wing with led came on the 94-96 only right? they didnt have the 3rd brake light so i would install in into the tail light wiring...a lot easier

·
New Boeing Engineer
1,027 Posts
^^ Well I know that is wrong. The only 4th gens that didn't have the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Light) were the 94-96 VTEC's as they came standard with a spoiler w/LED. I had a stock spoiler put on my '95 Si and I agree that the two brake lights do look tacky. I just bought the rear headliner out of a '94+ VTEC and put that in, since it is from a car that never had a CHMSL it is completely flat :D. I know that the stock spoiler is wired into the drivers side tail light harness through a harness (prolly available through Honda).

P.S. When I disconnected my CHMSL the "brake lamp" indicator didn't come on so I think that it isn't monitored by the system.

HTH,

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
thanks for the correction, i never said i was a prelude expert :laugh: ...guess you learn a new thing everyday...but if i do the oem w/ led spoiler i would take out my CHMSL and wire up the led off that...going against my own advice yes but i think it would look cleaner that way...arg if i do take out that CHMSL i will have to get a new rear tint also bc it was cut around the CHMSL :mad:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MR.CLIFFORD said:
I put mine into the 3rd brake light. I just ran the wires along the trunk arm an into the cab. Behind the pillar and across the head piece. It's all covered by the interior pieces so you can't see any wiring. There is a cover on the third brake light that you have to remove. There are two 10mm bolts that hold the brake light assembly on. Remove it and you will see the wires to splice into. There isn't that much slack in the wires and it was quite the pain. If you don't reconnect the wires to the window brake light your dash light will come on saying you have a burnt bulb. It looks funny to me when there is a LED spoiler and 3 brake light. I painted my 3rd brake light flat black and you can't even see it.

I didn't put mine to the tail lights. If the wires come loose for any reason then you are out a tail light. Nobody would notice if the 3rd brake light was out.

Pretty easy to do. I would say maybe 30 minutes.

how do i go about getting bejind the pillar and the headliner though????

·
ANGER IS A GIFT!
4,481 Posts
bsi said:
how do i go about getting bejind the pillar and the headliner though????

Very sneaky like.

Just tuck the wire behind it. There is a little bit of play in the trim pieces. You don't need very heavy gauge wires so anything should really do the trick. Just stick it in therre like swimwear! :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MR.CLIFFORD said:

Very sneaky like.

Just tuck the wire behind it. There is a little bit of play in the trim pieces. You don't need very heavy gauge wires so anything should really do the trick. Just stick it in therre like swimwear! :D
hahahaha:laugh: i guess ill have to gove it a try, thanks

·
ANGER IS A GIFT!
4,481 Posts
It really isn't that difficult. Besides wiring the LEDs it was cake. I bought some connectors at the hardware store and made it better. Just a little cramped. Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts