Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search on paint quality...

I know that:

PPG
Dupont
Sikkens

are all good paints, my car is in the shop right now and they use Spies-Hecker paint. I have never heared of this...... is it any good? This is a VERY reputable body shop and has a code listed for Honda's TSB 96-058.......... any Opinions would be really helpfull. :confused: I need some piece of mind that my baby will be okay.:p

·
RHD Club
2,240 Posts
If they are very reputable, why are you worried?

BTW i am a DuPont fan. i usually only spray Mason or chrome-a-base

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am worried because I have had reputable shops butcher my car in the past (for small stuff). I have the worst luck when it comes to car asthetics. This is the first time I have ever had a car in the body shop for anything major....... and am a little paranoid. I never wanted to have the front of the car painted....... the factory paint holds up really well to rock chips (I live in Canada with sanded roads in the winter)............ I don't want the front to look like a Maco paint job aftar a few months of Canadian driving...... I had 0 chips when I got in the accident.

I have learned that Spies-Hecker was bought by Dupont in 1999..... and I have been told by the body shop (you can never trust them 100%..... but they seem on the level) that it is top of the line Dupont.:confused:

·
Tilting at Windmills
1,203 Posts
Why ask AFTER the car is in the shop? lol...seems pointless.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Many years ago, when I had recent knowledge of auto paint, Spies of one of the best paints out there. The only other paint I know of that was better was Glasurite, which is the preferred paint for Porche among others (at the time, I'm not sure about now).

http://www.glasuritnet.com/Products/PassengerCars/

It's not cheap, though. More expensive than Spies.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
71dsp said:
Many years ago, when I had recent knowledge of auto paint, Spies of one of the best paints out there. The only other paint I know of that was better was Glasurite, which is the preferred paint for Porche among others (at the time, I'm not sure about now).

http://www.glasuritnet.com/Products/PassengerCars/

It's not cheap, though. More expensive than Spies.

Thanks 71dsp...... that is all I needed to hear. Couldn't find any helpful info on the web!

Adam Jones said:
Adam...What was the point of your reply? :blah: I was asking a question and didn't need to be asked why I am asking....... talk about pointless.:nono: Not like I should have to defend myself for asking a simple question....... but it is for peace of mind (read my last post) and so I know what to expect from it in the future. Also, the painting hasn't started yet, so I could always take it somewhere else (hence the "Quick HELP" in the subject)?!?!?!?:malken: Are all of your 25 posts spent making stupid comments???:rolleyes: :jape:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ludehawk said:
car's in the shop? wanna race the rentals :)

lol:laugh: :bigthumb:

I am a 6'5" soccer mom without the kids or the breasts :(....... they gave me Ford Taurus Wagon ........ 715 Km's and still a POS!!!! Just had a flood here which is why I am stuck with this, but I have to say it is good for hauling sh*t. Yah I'll race your Intrepid..... but being a rental, I WILL play dirty :D

Like the avatar... agree 110%. Who would blow their engine to get "daddy" to buy a new car. I am still shaking my head about that!!!!:nono:

·
Tilting at Windmills
1,203 Posts
kellyk75 said:
Thanks 71dsp...... that is all I needed to hear. Couldn't find any helpful info on the web!

Adam...What was the point of your reply? :blah: I was asking a question and didn't need to be asked why I am asking....... talk about pointless.:nono: Not like I should have to defend myself for asking a simple question....... but it is for peace of mind (read my last post) and so I know what to expect from it in the future. Also, the painting hasn't started yet, so I could always take it somewhere else (hence the "Quick HELP" in the subject)?!?!?!?:malken: Are all of your 25 posts spent making stupid comments???:rolleyes: :jape:
Dayum! I just asked a simple question...there was no reason to go off on me like that. I really wanted to know why you were asking after the fact, that's all. If you can't answer that without getting defensive, well then... :malken: you too. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Adam Jones said:
Dayum! I just asked a simple question...there was no reason to go off on me like that. I really wanted to know why you were asking after the fact, that's all. If you can't answer that without getting defensive, well then... :malken: you too. :rolleyes:
If you wanted to know........ just read my previous 2 threads! It was pretty crystal.....IMO. :dumb: Instead of answering MY simple question...... you call the thread pointless.:nono:

·
Super Senior Member
644 Posts
Adam Jones said:

he wanted peace of mind....

·
the satisfier
808 Posts
Spies-Hecker is made by DuPont. No worry quality-wise.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hmm, my OEM Honda paint on my hood does not hold up to rock chips at all, lol. I got a nice pea-sized chip on there. :bigthumb:

Is there any traffic in Canada?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, you guys definitely gave me some piece of mind...... paint was my biggest worry. I will see how it holds up over the next year though...... but I am confident it will be decent. 1 or 2 chips won't bother me much..... I can touch them up and wetsand them to invisible, but if it chips when I hit like a bug or a rain drop, that is different :D

Got the car back today and it looks great. The only probs were that it started raining 2 min before I showed up at the shop, so I haven't seen it in the sun yet......... and the front bumper is like 1/16" bigger gap from the fender on 1 side. The only one who will notice is me though. Any sugestions on how to fix w/o replacing the bumper? It is OEM.

Trafic in Canada? Ohhhhhh....... hell ya. Really only durring rush hour (lotta accidents here, & rubberneckers)...... and it CAN be bad...... but alot of places in the States are much much worse. The problem here is that they use gravel in the winter for traction. All of our roads are ashpalt and can:
1. Fall apart and leave lots of rocks
2. Use cracked rock & asphalt for repairs, which they don't clean up.
3. Lots of construction going on in the summer and there can be lots of debris.

·
i don't understand...
636 Posts
just curous, how much did you pay all together for the paint and then the job? and are you getting the entire car painted?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Paint came to about $1800 CAN. No, I just had the front painted........ the hood, bumper, driver fender, blend.

The whole job was just under $9000 CAN. Thank god for insurance!!! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts