Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys! My friend is having problems with his 88 Prelude. So my question is: what's controlling the speedometer on 3rd gens? Is it cable driven or is it powered by a vehicle speed sensor? and where is the cable or vss located? Sorry for asking but I have no clue about 3rd gens (4th gen owner here).

·
Registered
35 Posts
well i know its cable driven because i found a prelude that i might buy my second one its a 89 and the speedometer is not working the owner told me that the cable need to be raplace so it is cable driven. I am going to see the car on tuesday are there any common problems i should look for on an 89 that you know of??

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Besides that whining noise I hear in his car after 40+ mph (since you said it's cable driven then I suspect that it's the speedo cable) , it runs like a champ.

·
Registered
245 Posts
the cable is a long going problem in the 3rd gen..if the speedo is not moveing it is probuly brokin on the lower portion(the cable splits into 2 at the engine in the middle at the top behind the valve cover you will see a large nut)....also if you have a bounceing speedo it is also the same issue the lower cable is failing and will break soon...get the lower portion of the cable from the dealearship and just carefully replace it and the problem should be gone...just don't loose the clip that locks the cable into the speed sensor on the top of the transmission..that should fix the problem..

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea his speedo is bounching like crazy. So the lower portion connects to the transmission? Do guys have any diagram or pictures? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can tell you where it's located. Look at your valve cover and right above the PCV valve their is a big nut connecting two black cables. That nut hold the top and bottom portion of the speedo cable. If you follow it from the right it'll go straight to the trans and if you go left it should go to the firewall right by the brake fluid holder. I had the same problem that my speedo didn't work it was disconnected from the trans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts