Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my NGK copper ZFR7F-11's, and I was wondering what people recommended for a gap.. I know someone was saying they used a larger or a smaller one, and had a good reason for it.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thatchmaster:
I just picked up my NGK copper ZFR7F-11's, and I was wondering what people recommended for a gap.. I know someone was saying they used a larger or a smaller one, and had a good reason for it.

-Erik

</font>
well, if you got some light mods, such as i/h/e and such, i'd just leave it be. Just make sure the gaps are accurate, even tho they come pregapped.

but if you increase the gap, the spark is bigger(and thus more powerful) and vice versa. but increasing the gap when your ignition system isn't functioning properly(worn out cap and rotor, for example) can be bad(detonation, i believe is one side effect).

Or if you got FI and you got a stock ignition system that isn't producing a powerful enough of a spark, then you got probs as well when you increase the gap.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..

I just picked up a new cap and rotor, and wires come in on monday (NGK), so the best thing to do (even tho I'll have a good cap and rotor) would be just to make sure the gap is set to OEM spec? Ok. What would be the benefit of me having a larger spark?

-erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thatchmaster:
Thanks..

I just picked up a new cap and rotor, and wires come in on monday (NGK), so the best thing to do (even tho I'll have a good cap and rotor) would be just to make sure the gap is set to OEM spec? Ok. What would be the benefit of me having a larger spark?

-erik

</font>
no prob,

bigger spark=bigger, more complete combustion in your chambers=thus more power.

but i've increased my gap b4 and didn't notice much..it's one of those minor changes you can do if you aren't heavily modded.

if i were you, i'd leave em be. just spend the time cleaning out the threads where your plugs will sit cuz it will be dirty.

i wrap a good clean white shirt around a skinny rod and gently turn..

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. Thanks dude.

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
If you have an aftermarket ignition you can get some gain with a larger gap, but I wouldn't exceed about .02, and thats if you don't have any serious mods.

Once you increase compression or run f/i you actually run better at the stock gap or even smaller depending on how much compression there is. Basically the higher the pressure the smaller the gap should be, but even then you should only derease the gap by .02 to start with and see how it goes.

I have an 11.5 compression ratio and run the stock gap, any higher and I would probably have to decrease it slightly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts