Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Just noticed sony has a new head unit that plays mp3's. the CDX-MP450X. (http://www.xplodsony.com/products/?CATEGORY=MP3&MD=CDX-MP450X).

i've been holding off on mp3 HU's (namely aiwa and kenwood) but now that sony has one, i think i want one of those.

i read this discussion
http://honda-acura.net/forum/Forum20/HTML/009057.html
where JBX installed a sony HU to replace stock HU.

Just wondering jbx or ovadalimit (or anyone who has done this), now that you've done the install, exactly what was involved in replacing the stock HU (on gen5) with a sony hu? I'm assuming this sony deck wiring should be similar to JBX's MDX-C6500X....

Basically from that post, i get the impression that I just take the stock unit out and plug in the new sony one?

whats this about a harness? Boyguan mentioned "you have to do to install the head unit is buy a harness and a fit kit and follow the colored wires and everything will work"... what harness? what fit kit?

thanks....

[This message has been edited by jkoc (edited April 08, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
go to the back of any install bay whether it be best buy or circuit city or good guys...

tell them you need a wiring harness/adapter for your new head deck for your prelude (tell them what year it is) and they'll hand it to you and just pay for it. It's not more than 20 bucks. I got mine for 3 bucks for being an employee

Then ask them if you can take 15 crimps to do the install and they might let you take some. If not, you must buy them at radio shack or some place. You will need a crimper and wire stripper also. The adapter and crimps are required for any new HU installation. You can also buy those car audio install kits that replace the factory pocket and makes for easier installation, but most people just tape that stock pocket onto the new one and save a few bucks.

All you gotta do is match up the color coded wires. STrip and Crimp!

Then stick that sucker back in and you'll be done jkoc

[This message has been edited by po0p (edited April 08, 2001).]

·
Registered
423 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkoc:
pooop.

cant u just strip the wires and solder them together? i dunno how to crimp -- dont have a crimper either.. hehe
</font>
It is much easier to use a Crimper and it allows u to uninstall the deck easily...
That is what I did that to my deck
Don't do soldering...it can be messy..

·
Registered
838 Posts
Ok, jkoc, if you go to future shop and buy from them, they install it for u. (No Labour charge). If you decide to do it yourself, get a wiring harness, tap connectors and follow the colours. Should be straight forward install.

------------------

------------------
Toronto PreLude Club

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jbx:
Ok, jkoc, if you go to future shop and buy from them, they install it for u. (No Labour charge). If you decide to do it yourself, get a wiring harness, tap connectors and follow the colours. Should be straight forward install.

</font>
sweeeeeeeeeet
how much did u spend? i saw on the web site its like 547$

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jbx:
See, mine is a last year's model. But I don't really care and not much of a difference anyway. And I bought an MD Unit player. Cost me around $260 installed.

</font>

oh yeah duh!! sorry. u have the MD unit, not the mp3 unit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought the Kenwood MP3 deck yesterday, KDC-MP8017. I am very happy with the deck. Sound quality is much better compared with the stock deck, even without changing any of my speakers. Plays CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 CDs. Installation was straight forward.

From what I've read, the Kenwood unit has better specs than the Sony, so I went with it. Alpine's MP3 unit will be a top of the line model and REALLY expensive according to the sales manager. You can compare the models here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-HNHNaWJfMvq/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&g=62700&s=0

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the tip alphared

i went today to check out the sony deck and it was pretty cool. i really dont have any other deck to compare with... i guess as far as selection goes theres:

1. aiwa's unit (supposedly crapp)
2. sony 's unit ..
3. alpine's upcoming unit
4. kenwood has a couple units
5. JVC's upcoming flashy unit..

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
Sorry but I wouldn't put an Aiwa or most Sony decks anywhere near my car.</font>
thats why i'm waitin for that flashy JVc model or alpine model heheh.

at this point, i'd rather put my money on performance mods. i dont usually turn on my stereo when i'm driving hard so its not that important

·
Registered
666 Posts
sigh... hurry up alpine!! ive been waiting to get a deck for 4 months now!

------------------
98 FBP Prelude SS
AEM Intake
Eibach Pro-kit
Koni Yellows
Neuspeed Strut Bar
32 Tint all around

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well, considering i HAVE the aiwa mp3 player in my car, i might as well contribute something:

IMO, for 300 bucks, it does what its supposed to do pretty damn well. I love the fact that i can hold a bagillion songs on one cd and that it supports multisession, so i dont have to burn all the songs at once. Looks-wise, its pretty nice, but thats not why I bought it - i wanted an mp3 player.
The only problems i've run into are that:
A) It skips on a couple songs on mild to moderate bumps...not nice when you're used to the stock HU that could take greater shocks. In addition, it also skips on moderate G loads...so don't expect to listen to some nice hard core rock through the twisties....yeah that kinda ruins it...i know.
B) On a couple songs, it stops playing at a specific location, and wont continue to play unless you fast forward it one second. Again, this is for a few songs, and i suspect ripping problems/errors.
C) (And i'm sure you've heard of this problem) It's pretty hard to memorize which track equates to which songs. I already have 55 songs and i VAGUELy have a clue as to where a desired song is.
D) Random mode is good....but theres no fast forward or rewind.
E) 2 second pause in between each song...not good if you're trying to listen to a collection of mixed songs (i.e. club/techno music).

That's about it....im still very happy with it...the pros IMO outweigh the cons. But then again, im only looking for an mp3 player, not a high-end HU with all the bells & whistles. Hope this helps..

btw, go to http://home.tampabay.rr.com/prelude/ if you wanna see how it looks installed....excuse the poor layout - i designed it only to post pics of my car.

------------------
'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
Soon to have JRSC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts