Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an arguement with a friend...who own the latest gen of Toyota Celica.
He keep saying VVTL-i is more powerful than Vtec, and the upcoming Vtec-I is the same as VVTL-i. What exactly is VVTL-i??

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don't know about more powerful but it is different. VVTL-i can change the cam timing, something that VTEC cannot. Now the New VTEC-i motors are supposed to be able to change cam timing and a few other things (something to do with continuously variable intake runners if I remember correctly). It's been a long time since I read anything about VTEC-i though so I could be wrong.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The power is up to the manufacturer!
The new Celica has 190 bhp, so I don't see how he can say it is more poweful!

It is more modern technology though, and constantly changes the valve timing, not just once like ours do!
I think it is better, but not more powerful as such!

------------------
UK LUDER!:)
HONDA-R UK Member
5th GEN 2.2 VTI 4WS Manual

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
i got to test drive a GTS and it wasn't as strong as my VTEC. but the diff between VTEC and VVTLI. is VVTLI is variable valve timing AND LIFT where VTEC is just cam timing?? or is it? i'm having a brain fart right now. another thing i didn't like about the GTS's VVTLI is the fact that it kept dropping out of it at each shift.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion

[This message has been edited by BlueShadow (edited March 22, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
how would you REALLY measure which one is more powerful? By it's cc's?

The word "power" is so broad that it's just plain stupid to even argue about it. If you really want to show him which is more powerful then race him and let him have a look at your tailights.

For Toyota to have such a fast looking car, they could have made it a little quicker. Atleast as fast as a Prelude or something. That car competes more with Civic Si's.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Honda's VTEC system does something no one else could (notice I say "could) do- it varies timing, lift, and duration. Mind you, this is fixed, based on the cam profile. Our cams have 3 lobes per cylinder (per cam), 2 "low" lobes and 1 VTEC lobe. This lobe's profile is radically different from the others with different timing, lift and duration. In that sense ours is variable, but not continuously variable as in newer systems.

VTEC is "old" but it's still "modern" by a lot of standards, say a 350 Chevy head or a 302/351 Ford head. Honda's been working on this technology for 15 years now, it's good to see them coming up with something a little more advanced.

·
1,652 Posts
hmm this is strange the reason i was only saying VTEC is for cam timing above is cause the TOYOTA dealer said so and that was why i was all confused. but i just checked it and

HONDA's definition of VTEC is this
VTEC= or variable valve timing and lift electronic control, ) system changes the intake and exhaust valves' lift, timing and duration so that they more closely match the engine's changing air-fuel needs. This results in more horsepower and torque at low and high engine speeds

and TOYOTAs definition of VVTL-i
VVTL-i= or Variable Valve Timing with Lift and intelligence, optimizes engine breathing by adjusting intake valve timing as engine speed and load vary. When the engine reaches 6,000 rpm, high-lift cams take over and the power curve really spikes.

[This message has been edited by BlueShadow (edited March 22, 2001).]

·
Registered
91 Posts
The VVTL-i has 180bhp and has both cam timing change and a lift change. The GT just varies timing of the cams. They don't change lobes they have no change in the profile when it changes. I can't remember how it works but they have a piston that makes the rocks follow the cam closer when it's on. I know that the powerband (2 stroke turm) is not a broad as the VTEC engine, even though it is better. It's not quite as usefull. The VTEC-i will be even better than there system. As far as having more power. The motor the the most HP wins. It doesn't matter how it gets it. One last thing don't knock the GT-S. They have a 6 speed and come with better tires. I've seen on run 14.6 with intake and exhaust on stock tires. While my heavy a$$ car was running 15.4. If we had a 6 speed we would do better and have a better highway gear. now I'm just spiting crap out. later.

·
1,652 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2kLuder:
bah, screw Celicas.</font>
JEAH right on 2kLuder
piss on Celicas

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I need one of those calvin and hobbes stickers with calvin pissing on a toyota symbol

------------------
2000 Ficus Green Prelude - Powered by WAAAAAAAAH PPPSSSHSHHHH

What stands between a Prelude Driver and an ear to ear grin? About 5500 RPMs!

my next mod:
Larger Picture

·
Registered
42 Posts
Damn I hate Celica's. They look so damn Ugly! Who cares if they have a newer Technology. They still lose to our Honda/Acura's!! After all these years, they finally come out with a response to our Sports Coupes, and they STILL can't outperform our Cars... Sad... very sad...

------------------
15.12 @ 93.41
on STOCK street tires!

Climbing down faster and faster...

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GS-Racer:
Damn I hate Celica's. They look so damn Ugly! Who cares if they have a newer Technology. They still lose to our Honda/Acura's!! After all these years, they finally come out with a response to our Sports Coupes, and they STILL can't outperform our Cars... Sad... very sad...

</font>
hey, don't hate, because we have two honda and a toyota... and anyone from japan will tell you that honda are Piece of ****s compared to Toyota...and taking our cars in for warranty service will truly prove this...

My prelude at the honda dealer:
Joedaddy: Hi, my name is Joedaddy, and my car shakes like crazy when I hit the brakes.
Bob the service guy: Ok, $40 to shave the rotors and $25 to balance the tires.
Joedaddy:
*kkeeekkk* VTEC out the parking lot...

Avalon at the toyota dealer:
Joedaddy: Hi, my name is Joedaddy, and my car shakes like crazy when I hit the brakes.
Ted the service guy: Ok, give me your keys. Go grab some donuts (krispy kreme) and coffee and watch ESPN for a hour PLEASE.
1 hour later....
Ted the service guy: here are your keys and your car is ready to go.
Joedaddy: *kkkeeekkk* VVT-I out da parking lot

·
1,652 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by joedaddy:
hey, don't hate, because we have two honda and a toyota... and anyone from japan will tell you that honda are Piece of ****s compared to Toyota...and taking our cars in for warranty service will truly prove this...

My prelude at the honda dealer:
Bob the service guy: Ok, $40 to shave the rotors and $25 to balance the tires.
Joedaddy:
*kkeeekkk* VTEC out the parking lot...

Avalon at the toyota dealer:
Ted the service guy: Ok, give me your keys. Go grab some donuts (krispy kreme) and coffee and watch ESPN for a hour PLEASE.
1 hour later....
Ted the service guy: here are your keys and your car is ready to go.
Joedaddy: *kkkeeekkk* VVT-I out da parking lot
</font>

maybe toyota feels they have to make up for their poorly designed cars by providing the best service there is

nah jus playin. i'm sure the new celica GTS is an engineering marvel. but why did they have to make it soo butt-booty ugly!!

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
i agree that honda dealerships and the customer service needs more work than others. Not all honda dealerships suck though....and not all toyota dealerships are great -

·
Registered
284 Posts
ok, the GTS celica is compared with the Type-R. u guys are pretty much saying you'll take a gts so easily, how come i dont hear u guys talking about beating up on type-r's? i saw a comparo on road coarse and drag this is how 4 cars came up

1. integra type-r
2. celica gts
3. prelude type-sh
4. integra gs-r

by the way, the sh had a slightly higher 1/4 mile than the gs-r did, but of course it killed gsr in road coarse.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts