Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
drives a jeep
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I got a new Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-5.6, but to eventually get it where I can take a picture like this without it blurring and have enough light I need to keep saving for a 2.8, right?

Would a decent flash like a SB-600 make up for the lighting in a large outside setting like that?

·
12,807 Posts
2.8 has a narrow DOF, so that doesn't completely help the situation either since the focal plane is pretty deep in this image.
Flash can help slightly, but it definitely won't throw too far, plus it'll throw a lot of shadows, so give and take.

Best choice, bump up the ISO, and open the aperture a little.

·
Tilting at Windmills
1,203 Posts
So I got a new Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-5.6, but to eventually get it where I can take a picture like this without it blurring and have enough light I need to keep saving for a 2.8, right?

Would a decent flash like a SB-600 make up for the lighting in a large outside setting like that?
The trick is to shoot at a shutter speed of 1/focal range.

Looking at the EXIF data, you were only shooting at ISO 200 and actually had a -1/3 EV. You already had the aperture wide open at 3.5, so nothing you could do there.

I would bump up the ISO to at least 400 and, depending on how important a lack of noise is, probably 800. ISO 800 is 2 full stops, which would allow you to shoot at 1/12 or so. An additional stop could be pulled out of EV bias.

Also, I don't know if the D40 has IS in the body or on lenses, but the Canon IS system claims to achieve critical sharpness for up to 3 full stops...so IS lenses could really help.

As for an f/2.8 lens...like ODL said, any lens at 2.8 will have a fairly narrow DOF, not to mention shooting wide open can introduce its own array of problems. In an image like this, I really don't see how it would have helped all that much.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
i like the first and last shots a lot. i wish the building was completely overlapping the man's profile in the first one, or completely separate. it's touching a little awkwardly now but it's a nice capture.

·
Tilting at Windmills
1,203 Posts
I forgot to mention that I liked the last shot. Usually lens flares and shooting into the sun don't work, but here they did.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
i like the first and last shots a lot. i wish the building was completely overlapping the man's profile in the first one, or completely separate. it's touching a little awkwardly now but it's a nice capture.
You have a way of picking stuff out that bothers me but only after you mention it. :laugh: By no means am I being sarcastic but really just hanging on your nuts for how you can always point out ways a photograph can be better.

·
11,003 Posts
I especially like #5 and #15. Very nice PP.

Looks like #1 might be a focused on his cheek? And as Schwett mentioned, the building in bg could have been framed better.

But overall, you're doing much better than I. :jape:

·
drives a jeep
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why thank you!

I used low aperture because it was getting dark, although now I know I could've made it a lot better if I was aware of the other settings, but what would you suggest different on #1 in terms of focusing? My D40 has three focal points so if it wasn't on his face he'd be blurred out while it was focusing on the building or his sign.

So there's no way have a low aperture and get everything in focus without having a longer shutter speed, say for in the evening with people moving? That was the main problem, I had to use a higher f-stop to get the light in or else everything was blurry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having healthcare is great thing to have. If people want the federal government to cover stuff, that cash has to come from someplace. That means taxes, and the tax required to cover people with preexisting conditions to get insurance under the Affordable Care Act will cost any person with insurance $63 per year.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Everyone as their stance on health care imo I don't like it but please read when posts were posted this thread has been dead since 09

1 - 18 of 18 Posts